Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Thanks and is it due to the high gain issue commonly found in RK242 which made you feel unlistenable? I think the RK 242 is a powerful and dynamic tube which perfectly match with GZ480 in GG2 to get that “alive” tone, All of the others tube I tried are too “slow” when compare with this combo, really want to find something similar as backup,

The 242 when they don't match can distort and be aggressive or be overly flat. They have to get the right match with the pre to do their magic

Embarrassed... I had an RK Anniversary edition recti early last year and confused the versions. It was actually a 5U4G. I don’t know if there’s a house sound, but I found the 5U4G tonally cool, i.e., “neutral,” and in that sense completely uninvolving, great PRAT aside. I prefer modestly warm, room for a bit of sweetness, as a starting point.

Embarrassed... I had an RK Anniversary edition recti early last year and confused the versions. It was actually a 5U4G. I don’t know if there’s a house sound, but I found the 5U4G tonally cool, i.e., “neutral,” and in that sense completely uninvolving, great PRAT aside. I prefer modestly warm, room for a bit of sweetness, as a starting point.
Agreed that RK5u4g is quite analytical and not that tasty, you can try Mullard GZ34 which gave me that kind of ‘vinyl’ feeling

The 242 when they don't match can distort and be aggressive or be overly flat. They have to get the right match with the pre to do their magic

Facing the same challenge now and very difficult to find the preamp, tried FM and Bespoke but the direct out from GG2 is much better than both of them, going to try Bricasti M20 soon and looking at: Audionet, CH and Pilium as well, I know it’s a bit obsessed but I won’t change the 242 to suit the preamp :)

Reactions: ctydwn and bonzo75
Facing the same challenge now and very difficult to find the preamp, tried FM and Bespoke but the direct out from GG2 is much better than both of them, going to try Bricasti M20 soon and looking at: Audionet, CH and Pilium as well, I know it’s a bit obsessed but I won’t change the 242 to suit the preamp :)

Yes that's the right way, but if someone has not experienced what the 242 can do, they will just switch over to another tube with their existing preamp. The 242 is an anomaly so our other experiences don't prepare us to prioritise a tube this way

Agreed that RK5u4g is quite analytical and not that tasty, you can try Mullard GZ34 which gave me that kind of ‘vinyl’ feeling
I don't have much experience with NOS rectifiers, however from new production I have tried almost everything available. I find Psvane 274B ACME and then Linlai Elite 274B far superior compared to various 5U4G and 274 from EML and KR (even Lampi special and anniversary editions). It is the same experience with Pacific and GG2. KR242 are the driver tubes (sometimes KR242RK however I prefer KR242 regular edition). Wavac MD805 (directly from Lampi with volume control) is the power monoblocks.

Did some tube rolling game yesterday (rectifiers) and on the league of its own is WE274b engraved base followed by RCA 5u4g top getter and Marconi 5u4g. ACME 274b leaner then those, GEC U52, Philips 5u4g too heavy sounding with restricted top end. I'm super sorry I don't have TungSol 5u4g top getter to play with. Kicking $$$ in the equation RCA and Marconi by far best buy. Comparison done with EML 45 Globe Ann output tubes and 3 pairs of ears present ;)

Last edited:
Did some tube rolling game yesterday (rectifiers) and on the league of its own is WE274b engraved base followed by RCA 5u4g top getter and Marconi 5u4g. ACME 274b leaner then those, GEC U52, Philips 5u4g too heavy sounding with restricted top end. I'm super sorry I don't have TungSol 5u4g top getter to play with. Kicking $$$ in the equation RCA and Marconi by far best buy. Comparison done with EML 45 Globe Ann output tubes and 3 pairs of ears present ;)
Is the WE 274b from Psvane?

Reactions: Golum
One recently went for $2K on eBay.

Is the WE 274b from Psvane?
Nope “The” WE.
When you mentioned PSvane. We compared the structure of WE to Psvane and Psvane is exact replica - same looking plates, filament, etc except the glass envelope…interesting

I don't have much experience with NOS rectifiers, however from new production I have tried almost everything available. I find Psvane 274B ACME and then Linlai Elite 274B far superior compared to various 5U4G and 274 from EML and KR (even Lampi special and anniversary editions). It is the same experience with Pacific and GG2. KR242 are the driver tubes (sometimes KR242RK however I prefer KR242 regular edition). Wavac MD805 (directly from Lampi with volume control) is the power monoblocks.
Agreed that ACME274b is much better than RK5u4g, but the best i tried is Shuguang GZ480, unfortunately Shuguang stop the production of gz480 amd we even cant buy in Hong Kong or China now...

If we're back on rectifiers I have found that basically no matter which output tubes I am using, and I have many, I always veer back to my Westinghouse VU71.

They are also fairly cheap. I'd be curious to see what others think about it. Recommended by me, definitely.

That said I just can't bring myself to spend much on rectifiers. Output tubes yes, rectifiers, no.

Will post a pic of one later.

Reactions: Bobofei86
If we're back on rectifiers I have found that basically no matter which output tubes I am using, and I have many, I always veer back to my Westinghouse VU71.

They are also fairly cheap. I'd be curious to see what others think about it. Recommended by me, definitely.

That said I just can't bring myself to spend much on rectifiers. Output tubes yes, rectifiers, no.

Will post a pic of one later.
Just search on ebay but not easy to find, any suggestion where can I buy this tube? Thx User211

ACME274b is much better than RK5u4g
For me it is the exact opposite.

IME the AME 274b is an "effect" tube (very airy, but hollow in the mids and lean in the upper bass) that I use to compensate for fat and rolled off in the treble output tubes, like the NOS GEC KT66 for example.

The RK 5u4g is very linear and transparent but also robust sounding.
I still like the RK 5u4g very much.

Last edited:
For me it is the exact opposite.

IME the AME 274b is a "effect" (very airy, but hollow in the mids and lean in the upper bass) tube that I use to compensate for fat and rolled off in the treble output tubes, like the NOS GEC KT66 for example

The RK 5u4g is very linear and transparent but also robust sounding.
I still like the RK 5u4g very much
Agreed your point and always system dependant :)

RK242 + RK5u4g becomes too aggressive in my rig and Acme just 'soften' the tone which is more comfortable for long term listening, anyway, GZ480 is still far better than both

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
Anyway, GZ480 is still far better than both
I find the GZ480 far better than the ACME 274b and a little better than the RK 5u4g but unfortunately the GZ480 has become some sort of an unobtainium unicorn :(

Thanks so much and just placed rhe order :)
Glad you bought those the 2nd link was wrong!

Now removed, but I noticed it sold. I have a spare so if you bought it on my recommendation contact me and I'll send it to you if you pay postage. Sorry about that!

• Love

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing