Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Thanks, I'm still in 48-hour the slow warm up phase. Both tubes are still warm after one day, so all is well so far.

Reactions: adamaley
Two day slow warm up is completed so I inserted the Telefunken AZ1 rectifier and... whew! Things are working. No odd crackles or noises, just clear sound.

After inserting the rectifier, they do sound just "decent", but obviously they are not broken in at all as they looked to be true NOS, sitting in a box since 1942. I will burn them in and report back.

I am assuming at least 200-300 hours of burn in. That amount of burn in hours is what a noted tube authority suggested in an article about new production WE300B's.

Last edited:
Jesus.

One wonders where they were stored since '42. The boxes look like yesterday.

I'd be surprised if they turn out to be your best option. But if they are, take care of them and keep on the look out for more.

I wouldn't sell those until retirement and you know you can pass them on to someone who can appreciate them.

In this case I think, if genuine, they look to be of museum quality or better in all honesty. Let's face it, the best relics in history probably aren't in museums.

Reactions: Blake
RD27AS to Marconi/Osram DIY tube/valve damper. Amazingly effective. Kills all known PX25 acoustic feedback dead.

LOL.

Trust me, though. Amazingly effective on these 1930s old school efforts, made to a construction quality that just amazes me considering the vintage.

Better top and mid range clarity than the Tesla, but not a bass reference. A bit too shy in that department, though the definition is very tight, fast and accurate.

That said, better bass efforts out there than the Tesla.

IMG20230523233506.jpg

Reactions: adamaley and Blake
The Telefunken RS242's need a LOT of burn in, perhaps more than any other tube I've ever owned, but they have now surpassed the KR242's (all three versions I have- standard, RK and Limited) in terms of sonics. In my opinion, It is definitely superior to them and is an awesome tube.

KR242 are still a very good choice though if your system can handle them.

The Telefunken RS242's need a LOT of burn in, perhaps more than any other tube I've ever owned, but they have now surpassed the KR242's (all three versions I have- standard, RK and Limited) in terms of sonics. In my opinion, It is definitely superior to them and is an awesome tube.

KR242 are still a very good choice though if your system can handle them.
It's not hard to beat KRs or EMLs. They look pretty and well made, but as for the sonics? No.

Of the ones I bought, I think the best they claimed to recreate was the EML AD1. Nothing like the Tele version of said tube, but none of their tubes that claim to be a certain type really bear any resemblance to originals.

Ultimately they are fakes. Nice fakes/ copies for sure and I am sure they try to do as best they can.

Just get originals if you can find them and afford them is my advice.

Last edited:
@bazelio no can do don't own a pair. I regard it as largely extinct at realistic prices.

I did own a pair of Telefunken RS242. I think you know as well as I do that it bears no similarity to the KR version. It could not be more different IMHO. The gain isn't super high, and therefore it doesn't display the hard hitting dynamics and clarity of the KR effort.

I put the Telefunken 242 version into the nice sounding/euphonic valve/tube category. That's a complement. I do remember them sounding very nice but one of the pair I bought was intermittently noisy. So I returned the pair.

Telefunken valves/tubes are very good but I always find the community tends to want to over rate them in the sense that there are alternatives out there that are as good for less money.

That said, Tele 242 versus KR 242? I would say the Tele is the nicer sounding device for long term easy going enjoy yourself listening.

But for a good loud session of intense listening the KR is good.

Trouble is unless you are in the mood for an onslaught the KR is too much and ultimately is crude. Ultimately for long term sessions KRs are annoying and I just don't use them. Same applies to EML's efforts.

In 50 years+ people will be trying to find KRs and EMLs as their reference tubes. Maybe tubes need to be age annealed;)

Last edited:
Read the first post of this thread and the one above.

I am just about to try EML AD1 for fun but it won't last long... maybe to the next session.

A change is as good as a rest and I will probably love the contrast/change in presentation for a while.

@bazelio no can do don't own a pair.
You made a statement: "Of the ones I bought, I think the best they claimed to recreate was the EML AD1. Nothing like the Tele version of said tube". I took this to mean that you had heard and compared it to the Tele version of the tube. If not, what did you mean by this statement?

You made a statement: "Of the ones I bought, I think the best they claimed to recreate was the EML AD1. Nothing like the Tele version of said tube". I took this to mean that you had heard and compared it to the Tele version of the tube. If not, what did you mean by this statement?
I think I explained it with reference to the 242 comparison.

In other words, I don't need a pair to know they won't be the same.

@bazelio no can do don't own a pair. I regard it as largely extinct at realistic prices.

I did own a pair of Telefunken RS242. I think you know as well as I do that it bears no similarity to the KR version. It could not be more different IMHO. The gain isn't super high, and therefore it doesn't display the hard hitting dynamics and clarity of the KR effort.

I put the Telefunken 242 version into the nice sounding/euphonic valve/tube category. That's a complement. I do remember them sounding very nice but one of the pair I bought was intermittently noisy. So I returned the pair.

Telefunken valves/tubes are very good but I always find the community tends to want to over rate them in the sense that there are alternatives out there that are as good for less money.

That said, Tele 242 versus KR 242? I would say the Tele is the nicer sounding device for long term easy going enjoy yourself listening.

But for a good loud session of intense listening the KR is good.

Trouble is unless you are in the mood for an onslaught the KR is too much and ultimately is crude. Ultimately for long term sessions KRs are annoying and I just don't use them. Same applies to EML's efforts.

In 50 years+ people will be trying to find KRs and EMLs as their reference tubes. Maybe tubes need to be age annealed;)
I haven’t heard the Tele 242s, but I did recently buy a pair of NOS Tele 12AX7’s — the smooth plate variety — and true to their name, they are incredibly smooth sounding, and quite euphonic. In my 45 SET, with a pair of NOS RCA 45s, the sound is ultra smooth and euphonic into a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. You can play almost any recording and enjoy it, so folks looking for the unvarnished truth (whatever that means) won‘t be happy. But if your goal is to enjoy music and not get distracted by audiophile buzz, I highly recommend the Tele 12AX7 (which are the ECC 83s in the European nomenclature). They run a bit pricey for small signal tubes. I haven’t heard the “ribbed plate” variety of the Tele’s.

Reactions: Zero000
I should mention... Visseaux TMBF1 are also exceptional tubes. I really enjoy mine. However, they are pretty much unobtanium. TMBF1 and Telefunken RS242 are top notch if you can find them.

Otherwise, it appears you might be able to get KR242's these days, although Lampi appears to have gobbled up the first run? I still really like the KR242's (I think the RK version are the best), but the Telefunken 242's and TMBF1's are a clear step above in terms of sonics.

I have two pairs of TMBF1s, and I'm willing to sell one. If interested, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: Blake
I haven’t heard the Tele 242s, but I did recently buy a pair of NOS Tele 12AX7’s — the smooth plate variety — and true to their name, they are incredibly smooth sounding, and quite euphonic. In my 45 SET, with a pair of NOS RCA 45s, the sound is ultra smooth and euphonic into a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. You can play almost any recording and enjoy it, so folks looking for the unvarnished truth (whatever that means) won‘t be happy. But if your goal is to enjoy music and not get distracted by audiophile buzz, I highly recommend the Tele 12AX7 (which are the ECC 83s in the European nomenclature). They run a bit pricey for small signal tubes. I haven’t heard the “ribbed plate” variety of the Tele’s.
The smooth plate Tele novals were always more desirable than the ribbed plates although both are quite good.

I should mention... Visseaux TMBF1 are also exceptional tubes. I really enjoy mine. However, they are pretty much unobtanium. TMBF1 and Telefunken RS242 are top notch if you can find them.

Otherwise, it appears you might be able to get KR242's these days, although Lampi appears to have gobbled up the first run? I still really like the KR242's (I think the RK version are the best), but the Telefunken 242's and TMBF1's are a clear step above in terms of sonics.
TMBF1 is really lovely. Tele 242 is in the same euphonic ballpark IMHO.

Using an Amazon Fire TV Cube as a source with Amazon Music into a high end system reveals there's no reasonable gain control from the Amazon box.

If high gain is a priority, Tesla RD27AS followed by (not the Tele 242) the KR.

The Tesla really is quite linear and right up there for high output. Not surprising the fuckers are huge.

Note: my DAC is extensively modified from an old Lampizator spec and is always changing. So my advice won't always ring true in second rate Lampi DACs

That said, I believe what I say are decent tubes are pretty decent tubes.

Even when installed in third or fourth rate Horizons.

LOL.

Triodes are more fun than Pentodes so don't spend too much finding out...

Last edited:
It was bound to happen reading the pages here at WBF,. My curiosity thread got pulled and the tube rolling commenced. Currently in my Pacific I’m enjoying a NOS Valvo G2504 rectifier, NOS Tungsol 5687 driver, and Takatsuki 300b output. Very musical & engaging with plenty of dynamics!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing