Lampizator VP4 Silver: Can vinyl get to the level of digital and if so at what cost?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Okay, this thread has a cheeky title based on the other long thread that heads in the other direction, but it is my truth. I started in digital audio and was digital exclusive for ten years. I got my system sounding pretty epic with lots and lots of work. I decided to give vinyl a try around six months ago and got my first rig. I wasn't sure I would like it. I wanted a simple package that would be easy to set up, so I opted for an all Goldnote analog system, with their flagship table and cartridge and lesser phono with extra power supplies for the TT and phono. I ended up loving the feel and touch of vinyl as well as the ritual. When buddies are over, it is so much fun to spin records. I love everything about it. But the sound was nowhere near the quality of my digital. Could the fun of it last when the SQ was clearly not there? As a result, I contemplated cashing in on analog. I am so glad I didn't... I decided to try upgrading the phono stage first to see if that could get me closer to the SQ of my digital side. I listened to a bunch of brands and was confused about a direction. Since much of my digital bliss has been based upon my Lampi dacs, I thought I would look into their phono as well. I did some research and even had the fortune to talk with Lukasz about it at a show. Unsure about an analog product from a company famous for digital, I vacillated. But, in the end, I decided to pull the trigger on a VP4 Silver. It just arrived with balanced out. I love the look of it with the nixie tube display that matches my Horizon perfectly on the shelf. Cutting to the chase: It is still running in, but the upgrade is massive! The VP4 is liquid and smooth with a much bigger soundstage than the entry-level Goldnote. It is worlds above, as it should be comparing the price of the two. The VP4 has all the detail of the small Goldnote, while also being velvet due to the tubes. The Goldnote made vinyl sound like an inferior digital. The VP4 has a very different sound to my digital, which I really like, as it encourages me to listen to more vinyl and brings something unique to the table. It really is so smooth, open, clear and addictive. In fact, it very much reminds me of what my first Lampi dac did for me when I moved from the Dave to the Pacific. The VP4 is the Pacific/Horizon of phono stages :) It has brought my vinyl rig up to the level of my digital side and on many albums it can even pass it in terms of the soul and connection to the music. I plan on upgrading my TT next year as well now that the bug has bitten. The VP4 has got me wondering how far past digital I could go with a better TT. For now, I am loving the Goldnote flagship w/ VP4 Silver combo! My friend said they are an ideal pair since the Goldnote is fast and detailed and the VP4 is smooth and warm.

The VP4 has got me wanting to listen to records more and more. I am not just doing so for the fun or ritual, but actually for the sound. There is something very addictive about what it does to music. If any of you are thinking that Lampizator is only a digital company that makes dacs, think again. This phono is spectacular. A local friend who has been into vinyl for decades and has a very nice setup came by and was also very impressed with the upgrade. As for my non-audiophile friends: My one buddy said "Wow! you can swim in the sound it is so palpable. That thing is amazing!" Even my wife said "good sound!" for the first time ever!! And she is a trained classical musician who worked professionally (she now teaches).

Needless to say, I am very, very happy with the VP4. I am excited to see where this goes as it continues to break in over the coming weeks. I will keep you posted!

IMG_0280.jpg

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
The VP4 continues to open up, growing in strength, detail and soundstage depth. This is an amazing piece of kit.. Listening to so many records nowadays :)

I wonder about the simplicity of the design, without gain stages and no silicon…. Pure as snow.

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have also tried VP4 Silver earlier this year and it is absolutely amazing phono!

Reactions: christoph

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Everyone is in a different place within their audio journey. To me? It's a race (if you will) as to which source is better. When one gets worse....improve it.

Both have their own attributes, as well as deficiencies. IMO.

Tom

Reactions: Sampajanna

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I agree, Tom.

I won't be ditching digital. It is so great and who could own that many albums anyway.

That said, THe VP silver is changing my life. This thing is absolutely magical. I don't have any better word than magic. It does something to the texture of sound. You are immediately immersed and feel so so connected to the music emotionally. I am head over heells in love.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Okay, this thread has a cheeky title based on the other long thread that heads in the other direction, but it is my truth. I started in digital audio and was digital exclusive for ten years. I got my system sounding pretty epic with lots and lots of work. I decided to give vinyl a try around six months ago and got my first rig. I wasn't sure I would like it. I wanted a simple package that would be easy to set up, so I opted for an all Goldnote analog system, with their flagship table and cartridge and lesser phono with extra power supplies for the TT and phono. I ended up loving the feel and touch of vinyl as well as the ritual. When buddies are over, it is so much fun to spin records. I love everything about it. But the sound was nowhere near the quality of my digital. Could the fun of it last when the SQ was clearly not there? As a result, I contemplated cashing in on analog. I am so glad I didn't... I decided to try upgrading the phono stage first to see if that could get me closer to the SQ of my digital side. I listened to a bunch of brands and was confused about a direction. Since much of my digital bliss has been based upon my Lampi dacs, I thought I would look into their phono as well. I did some research and even had the fortune to talk with Lukasz about it at a show. Unsure about an analog product from a company famous for digital, I vacillated. But, in the end, I decided to pull the trigger on a VP4 Silver. It just arrived with balanced out. I love the look of it with the nixie tube display that matches my Horizon perfectly on the shelf. Cutting to the chase: It is still running in, but the upgrade is massive! The VP4 is liquid and smooth with a much bigger soundstage than the entry-level Goldnote. It is worlds above, as it should be comparing the price of the two. The VP4 has all the detail of the small Goldnote, while also being velvet due to the tubes. The Goldnote made vinyl sound like an inferior digital. The VP4 has a very different sound to my digital, which I really like, as it encourages me to listen to more vinyl and brings something unique to the table. It really is so smooth, open, clear and addictive. In fact, it very much reminds me of what my first Lampi dac did for me when I moved from the Dave to the Pacific. The VP4 is the Pacific/Horizon of phono stages :) It has brought my vinyl rig up to the level of my digital side and on many albums it can even pass it in terms of the soul and connection to the music. I plan on upgrading my TT next year as well now that the bug has bitten. The VP4 has got me wondering how far past digital I could go with a better TT. For now, I am loving the Goldnote flagship w/ VP4 Silver combo! My friend said they are an ideal pair since the Goldnote is fast and detailed and the VP4 is smooth and warm.

The VP4 has got me wanting to listen to records more and more. I am not just doing so for the fun or ritual, but actually for the sound. There is something very addictive about what it does to music. If any of you are thinking that Lampizator is only a digital company that makes dacs, think again. This phono is spectacular. A local friend who has been into vinyl for decades and has a very nice setup came by and was also very impressed with the upgrade. As for my non-audiophile friends: My one buddy said "Wow! you can swim in the sound it is so palpable. That thing is amazing!" Even my wife said "good sound!" for the first time ever!! And she is a trained classical musician who worked professionally (she now teaches).

Needless to say, I am very, very happy with the VP4. I am excited to see where this goes as it continues to break in over the coming weeks. I will keep you posted!

View attachment 121886
I have often said that the phonostage is the most important part of an analog chain, which is why I have stuck with my Silvaweld phono (Allnic designer before Allnic) for almost 20 years. That said the one phono i heard that is above all others I have heard is the Aries Cerat Talos. A customer of mine replaced his Lampi phono with it and the difference shocked him to the core. He still uses Lsmpi digital (Horizon) but he spins mostly analog.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: MJG

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I agree, Tom.

I won't be ditching digital. It is so great and who could own that many albums anyway.

That said, THe VP silver is changing my life. This thing is absolutely magical. I don't have any better word than magic. It does something to the texture of sound. You are immediately immersed and feel so so connected to the music emotionally. I am head over heells in love.
Interesting that your vinyl set-up matches / exceeds the Horizon. From what you say, it's not necessarily better / worse, but different in a good way.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Interesting that your vinyl set-up matches / exceeds the Horizon. From what you say, it's not necessarily better / worse, but different in a good way.
Yes, that is right. Sorry if I am not great at descriptions :) Remember, my analogue is also moving through the Horizon. I use it as a preamp. The VP4 Silver has a very, very addictive “texture” —that is the best word I have for it. It is so real and smooth, thick and yet not dark or gooey. It is visceral. The more it breaks in, the more it opens up too. I don’t think it is done even after a week of pretty constant play.

I wonder if Lukasz is on to something by taking out gain stages. I don‘t know enough to say for sure. Only that my room is better than ever.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congrats. Welcome to the dark side.

Try to listen to another turntable when you are looking at the next upgrade.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I have often said that the phonostage is the most important part of an analog chain, which is why I have stuck with my Silvaweld phono (Allnic designer before Allnic) for almost 20 years. That said the one phono i heard that is above all others I have heard is the Aries Cerat Talos. A customer of mine replaced his Lampi phono with it and the difference shocked him to the core. He still uses Lsmpi digital (Horizon) but he spins mostly analog.
Im sure it is great, but I won’t be changing any time soon. Also, it is around 4X the price, so I would hope it is better…

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Congrats. Welcome to the dark side.

Try to listen to another turntable when you are looking at the next upgrade.
That is next on the agenda. Already making moves now that things are sounding so good. I have a nice TT on the radar right now! The Goldnote was a great start. It has great sound. Build quality is another matter….

Reactions: XV-1

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Are you said custome @Golum r?
No no - a friend of mine is and he is big into AC amplification (very rightly so!!) but he's also big into Lampi DACs (again rightly so!!).
On Your VP4 Silver - actually a friend of mine got via me probably the first production unit of that exact phono and he's exclusively a TT guy with a serious TT rig and he's still happy over the moon with the VP4. So enjoy it in good health

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
No no - a friend of mine is and he is big into AC amplification (very rightly so!!) but he's also big into Lampi DACs (again rightly so!!).
On Your VP4 Silver - actually a friend of mine got via me probably the first production unit of that exact phono and he's exclusively a TT guy with a serious TT rig and he's still happy over the moon with the VP4. So enjoy it in good health
Thank you @Golum . I wish you good health too. You have also contributed to my journey and to the bliss I am now in with my current rig!

Reactions: Golum

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I’m a long time lover of Audio Research Reference phono stages. Got my first Reference Phono in 1994 (30 years ago!), and now happily enjoying their ARC Reference Phono 3SE. I’d never heard of Lampi’s foray into phono until I saw this thread, and I wish them all success. One day I’ll get the “big rig” ARC Reference 10 Phono and then it’ll all be downhill from there while I ponder my retirement and what life holds in store for me in the “afterlife”. Will there be a WBF in my “afterlife”?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
The Vp4 silver has settled in and is unbelievable. Really incredible. Everything you expect from a Lampi flagship!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
What is wrong with that? In case it happens...(and will not)

Reactions: Sampajanna

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I was striving to get my analogue to the level of my digital (I know everyone says the other direction). the VP4 really got me there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing