Levinson C Wave Technology

It sounds like what they are doing is using a really short reverb to try and cover up the filter ringing artifacts, a bit like dither fixes digital artifacts in the amplitude domain, and maybe to add emphasis to note decay.

I'm pretty skeptical that it will work in any true sense, but it might do something that listeners enjoy.

It sounds like what they are doing is using a really short reverb to try and cover up the filter ringing artifacts, a bit like dither fixes digital artifacts in the amplitude domain, and maybe to add emphasis to note decay.

I'm pretty skeptical that it will work in any true sense, but it might do something that listeners enjoy.
Could be, I commend anyone who comes up with a solution that makes poor digital recordings sound good. MQA tried and failed which will make it harder for anyone else.

Sounds like Legacy Audio.

I listened to another of ML’s YouTube interviews. He has a low key promotional genius that I’ve run into several times over the years — he has the ability to make you want to believe.

But when you examine the gap between reality and the sales story, the spell falls apart. For instance, he says in digital we are hearing a stair stepped, non continuous sine wave. But, as I understand, digital is stair stepped only before the interpolation smooths the steps into a continuous wave. And of course what we are hearing is a continuous analog wave coming out of the DAC.

He seems to be trying to present something as revolutionary, which is just another manipulation like others that have come before and will come after.

I have never seen the patent. And I don't know what the chip is. You and Ian are probably right in that its some sort of filter that may reduce ringing or a harmonic or something.

It may be that anyone hooked up to whatever machine he used would have the same reaction to a MP3 file from a $49 digital player vs a decent DAC at 16/44.1 or better.

To some degree, all of us are tied up in emotional hype with what we own. We have our passion for our own reasons. I'm pretty confident the person I know is going to get the $60k version. I am looking forward to hearing it. I will get a video for Ked and Carlos. Honestly, I bet its going to sound really good. It may be frustrating if its super good as I have about $20k amps, $8k speaker, $12k preamp, $9k DAC. I have $49k into basic gear. If $11k more wipes the floor on mine, I may feel a little dejected.

Reactions: Rexp
I have never seen the patent. And I don't know what the chip is. You and Ian are probably right in that its some sort of filter that may reduce ringing or a harmonic or something.

It may be that anyone hooked up to whatever machine he used would have the same reaction to a MP3 file from a $49 digital player vs a decent DAC at 16/44.1 or better.

To some degree, all of us are tied up in emotional hype with what we own. We have our passion for our own reasons. I'm pretty confident the person I know is going to get the $60k version. I am looking forward to hearing it. I will get a video for Ked and Carlos. Honestly, I bet its going to sound really good. It may be frustrating if its super good as I have about $20k amps, $8k speaker, $12k preamp, $9k DAC. I have $49k into basic gear. If $11k more wipes the floor on mine, I may feel a little dejected.
I have to say the very brief video clips in one of the YouTube interviews sounded very good!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Another Johnson
Agreed, I guess Johnson can't tell the difference.
No. I do not use video to evaluate audio.

I can hear the audio differences between one video and another. But it does not get me asking myself about the two subject audio systems. It gets me asking myself about the two video sets, the videographer, and the supportive gear.

I grew up in a world of 16mm home movies. I was addicted to both watching, and after age 12, also shooting my own. To my eyes and ears, YouTube videos of audio systems are often very amateurish in both video and audio content.

Of course, in my live and let live mode, I don’t mind that these things don’t bother many of you. For my purposes, the videos and the reality rarely align.

I won’t malign your taste or hearing just because you find videos to be usefully close to reality.

I can hear the audio differences between one video and another. But it does not get me asking myself about the two subject audio systems. It gets me asking myself about the two video sets, the videographer, and the supportive gear.

I grew up in a world of 16mm home movies. I was addicted to both watching, and after age 12, also shooting my own. To my eyes and ears, YouTube videos of audio systems are often very amateurish in both video and audio content.

Of course, in my live and let live mode, I don’t mind that these things don’t bother many of you. For my purposes, the videos and the reality rarely align.

I won’t malign your taste or hearing just because you find videos to be usefully close to reality.
Oh my mistake, I thought you posting a laughing emoji on Wil's comment that he thought the video sounded good was a pathetic dig, guess I was wrong?

The C Wave patent is available online. So in my opinion, it’s a scientifically tested DSP/EQ/reverb which is proven to be euphonic to listeners who participated in the study.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Since you seem to be able to express yourself well, can you please educate us and enlighten us on why sound captured on video is not close to reality. Curious to learn your rational.

I could see all those forensic analysis of audio recordings being dismissed because they are not accurate. Why are audio recordings accepted throughout as representative except in the high-end audio world? Help me understand that. What makes recordings of audio systems different than recording a scene in a movie or tv show, the audio on the evening news, recordings of scenes in nature, the audio on wiretapped mob bosses’ dens, recordings of the live sound at concerts? What makes high end audio special and different than any other sound captured by the same devices?

After all, sound is sound isn’t it? Or am I wrong?

Be precise and state your case with conviction.

Last edited:

The C Wave patent is available online. So in my opinion, it’s a scientifically tested DSP/EQ/reverb which is proven to be euphonic to listeners who participated in the study.

There are a number of studio devices that create a more euphoric sound and increase intelligibility. This is just another attempt at making digital more musical. But there is no free lunch, just like running digital through magnetic tape or a magnetic tape emulators reduces the frequency response and dynamic range, I‘m sure that with the C-Wave process something has to be traded off for the euphonic results. My own system-remastering process involves some judicious magnetic tape compression and transformer saturation, for which I compensate with expansion and spatial editing.

Last edited:
Reactions: wil

Thanks for posting the patent. I look forward to reading. Not a good start, though, as the official patent title states "PMC" instead of "PCM".

You have done a good job of characterizing it.
Patent claims do not have to be true claims … they just have to be new and clear claims.

The patent process is legal, not scientific, and it is done with the goals of setting things up for future litigation, and also for advertising purposes.

The patent office does not test claims for truth. To some extent they do search to try to establish uniqueness and clarity.

During the early days of my career, I worked for Kodak. Hardly any of our proprietary (designed and built in- house) manufacturing processes or machines were patented. It was better to keep it a secret than to disclose it and let others figure it out from the patent. Everyone signed an extensive non disclosure agreement at the time of hire. Security was tight on the perimeter and in the interior of the expansive industrial campus. .

Products or parts of products were patented, but not how we made things.

Last edited:

Thank you ecwl. I am pleased to finally read this.

While I am skeptical of his methods and promotion, I do believe ML is on to something with regards to stress/health effects of bad audio reproduction.

I don’t think it’s restricted only to digital audio, though. While bad digital audio, of the sort experienced in a grocery store sound system for example, is particularly pernicious in my opinion and deserves its own special circle in the hell of noise pollution, I think all offensive sound has the same affect on the brain and body.

Leaf blowers, lawn mowers, bad amplified live music, some people’s voices, will create a stress reaction in me that I believe could certainly be measured.

Reactions: PYP
100% agree Wil.

I bet the affect of good music reproduction of music you like over any system would show a reduction in stress and resultant improvement in other biological functions.

While I am skeptical of his methods and promotion, I do believe ML is on to something with regards to stress/health effects of bad audio reproduction.

I don’t think it’s restricted only to digital audio, though. While bad digital audio, of the sort experienced in a grocery store sound system for example, is particularly pernicious in my opinion and deserves its own special circle in the hell of noise pollution, I think all offensive sound has the same affect on the brain and body.

Leaf blowers, lawn mowers, bad amplified live music, some people’s voices, will create a stress reaction in me that I believe could certainly be measured.

Vibration in quantum physics means everything is energy. We are vibrant beings on certain frequencies. Every vibration is equivalent to a feeling and in the world "Vibrational", there are only two species of vibrations, positive and negative. Any feeling makes you broadcast a vibration that can be positive or negative.

Music

Music is very powerful. If you only listen to music that talks about death, betrayal, sadness, abandonment, all this will interfere with what you are feeling. Pay attention to the lyrics of the music you listen to, it could reduce your vibration frequency. And Remember: you attract exactly what you feel in your life.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration
."
Nikola Tesla

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing