Magico M7 2023

Clearly one can never hear it all — but expanding the pool of options I think is valuable. I would offer hearing different approaches is most important, e.g. panels vs horns vs traditional cones, ported vs un-ported vs open baffle, etc. While an audio trade show isn’t a place to make definitive decisions (imho) it is a great place to hear these various approaches.
Trade shows, forums and magazines are great places to learn about products. Not a place to make a decision on what to buy IMO.

Each person decides what approach works for them. How many different products do you feel one needs to listen to before making a decision?

The one things I have always noticed is no matter what someone buys, there is always someone who says they should have listened to or purchased something else. A lot of times it tends to be what they have.

Tradeshows/ dealer shows are much more valuably then any reviewers opinion / magazine.
Magazines are a nice read once you decided on a particular product of interest .
Its always nice to read of course if somebody /a reviewer / magazine shares your view on a particular product .

But buying merely on a particular reviewers opinion makes you miss out on a lot whats possible in audio

Each person decides what approach works for them. How many different products do you feel one needs to listen to before making a decision?
Hmm, good question... I’ll go with 42, which is, after all, the answer to Life, the Universe, & Everything. (—Douglas Adams)

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and ScottK
in the upper echelons of the hobby it is worth it, I think, to maybe make a long weekend
I did a little of this (and coincidentally my wife went for a massage). I went to a CA dealer to listen to the Alexx V's. Had two hours with them listening to my music. I came away thinking "are these that much better than my Alexia's given the price delta". As my audio memory faded I listened to a few others. All different rooms and electronics. After a year I just took a leap of faith and pulled the trigger. As I mentioned earlier it was a satisficing decision. Most of us must do it this way. It's clearly a trial and error method.

The one things I have always noticed is no matter what someone buys, there is always someone who says they should have listened to or purchased something else. A lot of times it tends to be what they have.
Amen brother!

You can also have great joy in audio , while knowing what you have is not SOTA .

Audio is not a prestige thing , its not like a Mclaren 720S you park in your drive way

Reactions: Bobvin and matthias
Isn't this implying one shouldn't purchase anything until they listen to everything? So in other words, never purchase anything.

You have to have listened to every SET and horn on the planet before making a decision.

• Haha
Reactions: Bobvin
I did a little of this (and coincidentally my wife went for a massage). I went to a CA dealer to listen to the Alexx V's. Had two hours with them listening to my music. I came away thinking "are these that much better than my Alexia's given the price delta". As my audio memory faded I listened to a few others. All different rooms and electronics. After a year I just took a leap of faith and pulled the trigger. As I mentioned earlier it was a satisficing decision. Most of us must do it this way. It's clearly a trial and error method.
I like Wilson speakers and owned Alexia (v1) for several years. I was at the place where Wilson was due to upgrade the v2 version to something new (Alexia V) when I chose to become affiliated with Rhapsody.Audio. I’m very certain I’d have been happy had I stayed in the Wilson family. Now, having spent time with several other types of speakers, I’ve developed a much better sense of how these types present music — all are excellent and yet all are different, each with a personality and I could live happily with any of them, or Wilson, or Magico, or many others. At this level it would be hard to find a shit speaker — so it comes down to matters of taste. Like great wine, different yet still excellent.

Perhaps an interesting question — would it be better to buy two or three pairs of speakers vs. one very expensive speaker 2 or 3 times the price? Then you could enjoy rotating them in and out to savor the different flavors.

Tradeshows/ dealer shows are much more valuably then any reviewers opinion / magazine.
Magazines are a nice read once you decided on a particular product of interest .
Its always nice to read of course if somebody /a reviewer / magazine shares your view on a particular product .

But buying merely on a particular reviewers opinion makes you miss out on a lot whats possible in audio
I agree with you to an point. Everyone values things differently and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Reactions: SlapEcho
I like Wilson speakers and owned Alexia (v1) for several years. I was at the place where Wilson was due to upgrade the v2 version to something new (Alexia V) when I chose to become affiliated with Rhapsody.Audio. I’m very certain I’d have been happy had I stayed in the Wilson family. Now, having spent time with several other types of speakers, I’ve developed a much better sense of how these types present music — all are excellent and yet all are different, each with a personality and I could live happily with any of them, or Wilson, or Magico, or many others. At this level it would be hard to find a shit speaker — so it comes down to matters of taste. Like great wine, different yet still excellent.
Spot on! One reason I do own the Magico A-5!

Ladies and gentlemen, I do understand thread drift and we tend to let things slide, as this is seemingly inevitable. With that said, let's get back on topic and redirect any further responses on this recent topic redirect/thread shift to the pinpoint imaging thread.

Any further comments on pinpoint imaging will be deleted, so that we may get this thread back on track.

Thanks for your cooperation. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Tom
Damper.....

Reactions: Ronny18 and PeterA
Can anyone speak to real-world sensitivity of M7 vs M6?

In terms of listed specifications, sensitivity is 91 for M6 and 92 for M7 (with listed impedance of 4 ohms for both speakers).

My amplifiers have 3 gain settings, and I only prefer it in the lowest gain setting which (despite their 500 WPC rating) leaves some low level recordings - such as SACDs - turned up the max preamplifier volume setting. This also occurs when entertaining :)

I would be interested if the M7 would play appreciably louder ...

(I know I could turn up the amplifier gain setting, but I don't want to do that)

In terms of listed specifications, sensitivity is 91 for M6 and 92 for M7 (with listed impedance of 4 ohms for both speakers).

My amplifiers have 3 gain settings, and I only prefer it in the lowest gain setting which (despite their 500 WPC rating) leaves some low level recordings - such as SACDs - turned up the max preamplifier volume setting. This also occurs when entertaining :)

(I know I could turn up the amplifier gain setting, but I don't want to do that)
What are your current speakers and what is their sensitivity?

I see Rhapsody above is inquiring about your current speakers and they would be better to respond than I. However, if your signature is correct and you are still using the Magico M6 I would be surprised to learn, based upon their published sensitivities, that the M7 is not at least as loud as the M6 (all other things being equal). If the low gain setting on your amplifiers provides adequate volume with the M6, I don't know why the M7 wouldn't as well.

Curious what Rhapsody will say because I am not certain they have heard the M7 first hand either. Peter Mackay, are you out there?

Last edited:
I see Rhapsody above is inquiring about your current speakers and they would be better to respond than I. However, if your signature is correct and you are still using the Magico M6 I would be surprised to learn, based upon their published sensitivities, that the M7 is not at least as loud as the M6 (all other things being equal). So if the low gain setting on your amplifiers provides adequate volume with the M6, I don't know why the M7 wouldn't as well.

Curious what Rhapsody will say because I am not certain they have heard the M7 first hand either. Peter Mackay, are you out there?
Sorry, I did not see the signature. I’m on my phone. If the M6 are the current speakers, I doubt if there will be any change. Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing