More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life" (1976) original pressing is pretty fine!
Yep, I went back and found Kendun pressings of the golden era, except for Talking Book which i don't think was mastered by Kendun. On that, I have a bunch of early copies, as well as the new MoFi.
I thought the early Tamla/Motowns were murky sounding until I sorted through them to find the Kenduns. (He also mastered some other stuff that's great, just can't remember what offhand).*

*PS- I cheated and looked up the discography- it was Dylan and the Band, Before the Flood that I recently retrieved, cleaned and noticed was mastered by Kendun. Here is a discography:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Kendun+Recorders?page=1

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I have a Kendun mastered Innervisions I need to clean and play. I need to track down the rest of his good albums.

One of the more bizarre things I came across was a Kendun mastered quadraphonic WLP of Coltrane's Interstellar Space. Odd that it was quadraphonic, and I'd never seen another Kendun jazz record before. In stereo it sounded sort of strange, phase-y with lots of reverb. Like Coltrane and Rashied Ali were playing in a huge empty gymnasium.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I find it odd that some of those old quadraphonic mixes are sought after- there were SQ, QS and Quadradisc if I'm not mistaken. I remember the old 'quad' processors from back in the day- they worked better on some records than others, but discrete mixes they were not. I have a couple, i think an old Doors record in CD4? I haven't really researched or collected any deliberately.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Dr John In the Right Place, old ATCO B'Way pressing. I think this cost the princely sum of $10, pretty much mint condition, including the original liner. Great record.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Found a really nice Japanese pressing of Alan Parsons - Pyramid yesterday. Sounds most excellent and certainly plays to a VG++/EX level, if not better. Will have a go with my domestic copy to see how much of an improvement this one is.

IMG_0597.JPG

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Found a really nice Japanese pressing of Alan Parsons - Pyramid yesterday. Sounds most excellent and certainly plays to a VG++/EX level, if not better. Will have a go with my domestic copy to see how much of an improvement this one is.

View attachment 12756

Be interested to know how your new cleaning regime improves the sound of these used records. I really don't know Alan Parson's music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Be interested to know how your new cleaning regime improves the sound of these used records. I really don't know Alan Parson's music.

I'll comment on my new cleaning regimen shortly, but I have found that repeated cleanings with the NG have totally taken care of the noise I heard on that 200g CR of Tubular Bells.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
steely dan greatest hits

reading MF's latest installment in analog planet im not surprised he likes the the old ABC steely dan greatest hits double LP which goes against ones instincts re the SQ of compilation type releases. he goes on to say the orig ABC press of Aja is better than the much lauded cisco...i agree here too! im finding the latest reissues on premium vinyl serves as a reminder, no matter what the provenance is of the tape used on reissues its always best to look for an early press (while many are still cheap) before spending 50 bucks or more on something not as good.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
reading MF's latest installment in analog planet im not surprised he likes the the old ABC steely dan greatest hits double LP which goes against ones instincts re the SQ of compilation type releases. he goes on to say the orig ABC press of Aja is better than the much lauded cisco...i agree here too! im finding the latest reissues on premium vinyl serves as a reminder, no matter what the provenance is of the tape used on reissues its always best to look for an early press (while many are still cheap) before spending 50 bucks or more on something not as good.

I wish this were always the case (the original being cheaper), for the majority of music I like a clean NM original/first pressing from the US or UK is quite a bit more expensive than the reissue. A recent example- the Cream Fresh Cream DCC reissue is around 80 bucks. A true near mint first pressing mono would be roughly twice that. Since it was released in 1966 most played copies are not audiophile level worthy (ie groove wear). I didn't mind since it's one of my favorite rock LPs.

Interesting that Fremer has come back around on the Aja issue, I recall he preferred the Cisco reissue when it was in print :rolleyes: I'm not a fan of the Dan so I have no opinion, but there are a bunch of people that feel the true first pressing of Aja is better as well, rumor is it was the only one that used the master tapes.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the 'british invasion' records were always scarce, esp UK vinyl, I feel your pain. I cant (wont) buy back the orig BN, prestige, Impulse etc Jazz LPs I once owned for the same reason.

this morning I listened to my orig 1 press Aja vs the cisco just to make sure im not hallucinating and on my system on this day, the ABC edges out the cisco by a hair.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have no idea how this compares to the U.K. pressing, but I just purchased a 1970 German Island Pink label Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman
I should have it late this coming week or early next.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have no idea how this compares to the U.K. pressing, but I just purchased a 1970 German Island Pink label Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman
I should have it late this coming week or early next.

John, I think you may find that the German pressing is a little 'thin' in comparison to the UK 1st pressing. The Pink rim UK pressing is IMO about the same sounding as the German early pressing ( If that is what you have, most of the
German pressings are pink rim). Will be interested to hear your opinion once you have had a chance to listen.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Wow, jazdoc, you like Black Sabbath...I'm impressed!! I thought I may have been alone on this forum as a lover of jazz and metal, LOL. Agreed that the original UK Vertigo pressing is an incredible recording.

Just scored an original big swirl Vertigo of Black Sabbath Vol. 4...very cool

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, I think you may find that the German pressing is a little 'thin' in comparison to the UK 1st pressing. The Pink rim UK pressing is IMO about the same sounding as the German early pressing ( If that is what you have, most of the
German pressings are pink rim). Will be interested to hear your opinion once you have had a chance to listen.

Davey - I'll post pics and the matrix data once I receive it, so I can give you a more definitive answer. I do not have the UK so there is no way I could compare and either agree or disagree with your observation, but I trust your opinion on it nonetheless. The seller did not offer complete details, but I do know it's the full Pink Label, not the Pink rim (he did provide a picture). I'll let you know about the sound and how it compares to my orginal Canadian pressing and the recent QRP remaster.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Just scored an original big swirl Vertigo of Black Sabbath Vol. 4...very cool

Jazdoc those LP's are now getting very rare and they are fetching some BIG prices. I got lucky, I bought all mine in the UK in the day- and still have them all in pristine condition.The other day, I spun the Master of Reality disc, had not listened to this one for many years. Still a cool recording. My original box with the outer vinyl skin is like new... ONLY problem is the darn six-fold poster has gone missing..SOOOO frustrating:mad:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Jazdoc those LP's are now getting very rare and they are fetching some BIG prices. I got lucky, I bought all mine in the UK in the day- and still have them all in pristine condition.The other day, I spun the Master of Reality disc, had not listened to this one for many years. Still a cool recording. My original box with the outer vinyl skin is like new... ONLY problem is the darn six-fold poster has gone missing..SOOOO frustrating:mad:

Inner monologue "Do not be jealous, do not be jealous..."

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I thought I may have been alone on this forum as a lover of jazz and metal, LOL.

Count me in that esteemed company as well :)

I bought all of the UK Sabbath Vertigos (except for Vol 4) before the "vinyl resurgence" as well, though NM copies were never cheap. The George Peckham "Porky" Vertigo Vol 4 was acquired recently and did set me back a good amount. That Porky mastered Volume 4 is the best sounding Sabbath album. When the cartridge slides from the soft FX into the crisp hi hat hits of Supernaut, that is a hair raising experience.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have 2 copies of UK 1st issue Paranoid. Both copies lack some treble but play pretty well. I also have Vol.4 that I got two months ago and plays close to NM. I'm not sure I want to try getting another copy of Paranoid in search of non-rolled treble or not. Was Paranoid's treble rolled a bit or do you think it's a wear issue....anyone ?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have 2 copies of UK 1st issue Paranoid. Both copies lack some treble but play pretty well. I also have Vol.4 that I got two months ago and plays close to NM. I'm not sure I want to try getting another copy of Paranoid in search of non-rolled treble or not. Was Paranoid's treble rolled a bit or do you think it's a wear issue....anyone ?

Christian, that's a good question. I haven't listened to my UK Vertigo Paranoid for a while. I think a Black Sabbath session is in order. Will get back to you on this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing