My Tube Collection, Welcome to share yours

GE 6L6GC grey plate double getter, original boxes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    934.3 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: adrian cheng
Tung-Sol 6550 solid grey plate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: adrian cheng
Do we have any experts on Brimar novals here? I’m trying to get some insights into how their different model ranges (regular v industrial 13dx v Trustworthy 60xx ) and generations compare sonically on the ‘at‘ and ‘au’ types.

Blue label valvo 6201/ecc81 deutsche post called weitvekehrsröhre
White label 5000hrs.
Red label to 10000hrs
Blue label over 10000hrs guranteevalvo-6201-ecc801s-12at7-tube-blue_1_677f2b6a6a5ea9fbb1e76af43094dca8.jpg

Do we have any experts on Brimar novals here? I’m trying to get some insights into how their different model ranges (regular v industrial 13dx v Trustworthy 60xx ) and generations compare sonically on the ‘at‘ and ‘au’ types.
"Brimar" was just a registered trademark, it was the abreviation for "british american made tubes". They put their logo on tubes from different manufacturers they purchased in great batches. You will have a hard time to find out, what tube manufacturer was behind each specific Brimar labeled electron tube.
Here's my small tube stash.
IMG_20221121_123108.jpg

"Brimar" was just a registered trademark, it was the abreviation for "british american made tubes". They put their logo on tubes from different manufacturers they purchased in great batches. You will have a hard time to find out, what tube manufacturer was behind each specific Brimar labeled electron tube.
Here's my small tube stash.
View attachment 100636
Brimar did design and manufacturer their own tubes for many years in a couple of UK factories. Along with Mullard, Marconi, and others they formed a consortium to protect their UK interests.
Brimar and Mullard had some unique plate designs and now fetch very high prices.
In later years after Brimar was acquired by Thorn Lighting, other manufacturer's valves were rebranded Brimar.

OK, new part of their history. In later years, they rebranded valves from other companies.

BRIMAR is a "brand" born in the UK in 1934. Its history starts with American Western Electric which in 1883 opened a small office and shop in London. In September 1925, the International Western Electric Company was acquired by the "International Telephone and Telegraph Company (ITT)". In Great Britain this company grew considerably and took the name of "Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd. (STC)". STC first used the brand name "STANDARD" for its valves. From 1932 to 1933 the valves are called "MICROMESH" and since 1934 "BRIMAR" In 1960, Brimar's valves and cathode ray tubes division was sold to Thorn Electrical Industries.

Never pay more than it did cost when it was regularly at sale.
41.jpg

I see there is an initiative to restart production of Brimar valves here in UK using original machinery

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing