New Magico Speaker ??? 12-12-22

I agree on the calm down part even though I’m a big magico fan haha.

I agree on the calm down part even though I’m a big magico fan haha.
Sorry guys, I'm not even close to being irritated. I am just responding in as a respectable way as possible to comments from posters who have not heard a product and are determining what the product should or should not be priced at.

I am not saying that the posters should not express their opinions, their opinions are welcomed and respected, I am just giving my opinion as well. Nothing more than that.

This is copied from the AS forum and is a VERY GOOD summarization on the new S3 (2023) model.

* The new S3 (2023) is two pounds heavier than the current S5 mk2.
* The tweeters are the 28mm diamond-coated beryllium (like M series)
* The midrange is now the graphene coated honeycomb aluminum driver used in the A5 and M9, BUT with even a better motor system than the A5 mid-driver.
* The 9 inch bass woofers are new and made with the graphene coated honeycomb aluminum like the midrange.
* An all new footer system
* A far more extensive enclosure with far more bracing.
* The shape of the cabinet (even the top) is monocoque and also has no flat surfaces helping eliminate reflected energy and distribute sound better into the room.

All the above are significant advancements over anything in the S lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyB and CKKeung
For anyone interested in hearing the new S3 I have a pair of the light blue gloss pair on order that will be available to audition at the Rhapsody-Brooklyn location when delivered in 2023.

Reactions: CKKeung
I feel it will be better than S5 mk2. I hope they have newer S7 soon.

Reactions: CKKeung
This is copied from the AS forum and is a VERY GOOD summarization on the new S3 (2023) model.
….
* The shape of the cabinet (even the top) is monocoque and also has no flat surfaces helping eliminate reflected energy and distribute sound better into the room.

Bob, The front baffle appears to be flat in the photographs unlike the M-series where it is clearly curved. Is the front baffle not considered to be a cabinet surface?

Bob, The front baffle appears to be flat in the photographs unlike the M-series where it is clearly curved. Is the front baffle not considered to be a cabinet surface?
Hmmm. To me the front baffle is slightly curved with the 2023 S3 in the photograph. And the press release says they’re curved. They’re definitely not as shaped as the M series but you can detect a subtle curve in the photographs, especially if you compare to the Magico website’s old S series speaker photos. I’m guessing the more curved the enclosure/baffle, the more expensive it is because I presume they’re just chiselling/machining away a block of aluminum? Although I see online that one can bend aluminum. So I probably don't know what I'm talking about. But the press release also says the curve comes from machining.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyB
Hmmm. To me the front baffle is slightly curved with the 2023 S3 in the photograph. And the press release says they’re curved. They’re definitely not as shaped as the M series but you can detect a subtle curve in the photographs, especially if you compare to the Magico website’s old S series speaker photos. I’m guessing the more curved the enclosure/baffle, the more expensive it is because I presume they’re just chiselling/machining away a block of aluminum? Although I see online that one can bend aluminum. So I probably don't know what I'm talking about. But the press release also says the curve comes from machining.
Each panel, including the front baffle, is carefully machined to take on an overall edgeless-shaped perimeter.
This is from the press release. I do not see where it says that it is a curved front baffle.

I am checking with the factory to be sure. Will report back soon.

This pic sure looks like the front baffle has a slight curve to it!
1670941550083.png

Reactions: CKKeung and GuyB
You were exactly correct. The front baffle does have a slight curvature to it. That is the information from the factory.

Reactions: GuyB and PeterA
I suppose there a certain snob factor involved in Magoco pricing. In ttheirr defensr that testing equipment is not cheap
The cabinet is complex. If made by hand it would be labor intensove .. I have no idea if he pays health insurance. It makes sense that he would need skilled workers
Furthermore I expect it is expensive to make a diamond coated tweeter.r$50k that would necessitate a #100k + system. For most folks makes it an academic excercise.

I suppose there a certain snob factor involved in Magoco pricing. In ttheirr defensr that testing equipment is not cheap
The cabinet is complex. If made by hand it would be labor intensove .. I have no idea if he pays health insurance. It makes sense that he would need skilled workers
Furthermore I expect it is expensive to make a diamond coated tweeter.r$50k that would necessitate a #100k + system. For most folks makes it an academic excercise.
I highly recommend taking a trip to the Magico factory, or there are several videos available that detail all of the departments at the factory,
including all of the CNC machines and test instrumentation, that I personally have not seen available at any other speaker manufacture on the planet.
Here is one Magico factory tour. If you Google Magico factory tour, there are I think at least 10 published tour visits along with pictures and descriptions.

Last edited:
Each panel, including the front baffle, is carefully machined to take on an overall edgeless-shaped perimeter.
This is from the press release. I do not see where it says that it is a curved front baffle.

I am checking with the factory to be sure. Will report back soon.
It's under Tweeter Highlights in the press release:
This applied technology allowed Magico to increase the dome diameter from 26mm to 28mm, improving many aspects of performance and allowing even greater power handling and vanishingly low distortion. Combined with a neodymium-based motor system, new acoustically improved back chamber, and customized shape to integrate into the curved front baffle, the new S3 tweeter registers the lowest distortion measurements possible today from a high-frequency transducer. When coupled with even greater power handling, the S3’s tweeter is a technical and sonic marvel.

Haha, I sort of vaguely remember reading it and then I just did a search on my browser for the word baffle on page 1 of this thread.

Reactions: Protegimus and GuyB
It's under Tweeter Highlights in the press release:
This applied technology allowed Magico to increase the dome diameter from 26mm to 28mm, improving many aspects of performance and allowing even greater power handling and vanishingly low distortion. Combined with a neodymium-based motor system, new acoustically improved back chamber, and customized shape to integrate into the curved front baffle, the new S3 tweeter registers the lowest distortion measurements possible today from a high-frequency transducer. When coupled with even greater power handling, the S3’s tweeter is a technical and sonic marvel.

Haha, I sort of vaguely remember reading it and then I just did a search on my browser for the word baffle on page 1 of this thread.
Good catch:) now we all know!

The ole change the subject trick.

Yes Wilson and their crazy increase in prices is out of control as well. So much, that for me to upgrade, I will have to look past Wilson as the Alexx is stupid pricing. Unfortunately it will not be Magico either.

That takes nothing away of the crazy price increase of this new S3. 50k for a speaker that is not really even full range.
I bet future customers look forward to the 75k S5.

This hobby is getting more stupid and out of control with each more expensive new model. It is starting to look like the luxury watch market - they don't sell many, but charge as much as they possibly can get away with.

Cars get cheaper wirh trickle down, not so hifi.

Ultimately this will be to the detriment of the industry and come back and bite these manufacturers.
Couldn't agree with you more XV-1. I had dry tinder ready to go for these and now am repurposing those funds for upgrading my projector, better M car, home theater upgrades etc. instead. Disappointing to say the least and I've owned every single S model other than S1 in literally every iteration. On to other brands for me, too. YG, Estelon, Rockport, and Stenheim make very fine transducers as well. This is the push I needed to explore other brands after owning 7 pairs of Magicos.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1
Bob, this is the WBF! What else would you possibly expect? We eat this stuff for breakfast! :rolleyes:
Trust me, Marty I understand WBF very well. I have no interest in trying to convince the naysayers, but you would be surprised at the lurkers who read all of this. This is why I participate in the discussions, along with it being fun.

Since I posted the new S3 information, I’ve had three or four emails and two phone calls, already asking me to let them know when they come in as they want to come in and hear them.

certainly not to justify the increase. remember the actual manufacturing costs are a small % of the sell price.
You sound so certain. How, may I ask, do you know how much it costs to build such a product as the S3? You keep talking about the "increase", ignoring the fact that it is an entirely new, clearly more complex and advance, design. Looks to me that this new S3 is much closer, most likely better, speaker then the current S5. As such, it may actually be a bargain.

Reactions: Protegimus and GuyB
Has Stereophile received their review copy yet? What's the line on it making the cover and becoming/speaker component of the year?:cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing