OP AMP polarity question in cassette deck

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
I just completed the restoration of a Nakamichi 582 cassette deck, it had four NJM4558 opamps, I pulled them and installed sockets. Now I have NJM5532 in there.
I understand the PNP/NPN difference on the inputs between a 4558 and 5532 (the 4558 is PNP input, 5532 is NPN). My question is where does it really matter and what are the effects? I also put 100nF capacitors on the rails of the sockets to inhibit oscillation.
This is IC303 in the Nak 582 (record amp). C124, 1uf at the +input has been replaced with film. C123, 10uf at the - input is still a polar capacitor wired as original. There is a NJM5532DD in place of the 4558. I do have some NJM2068 (PNP) opamps and pop one in here, and I probably will.
I have been told that when changing a PNP input opamp for an NPN the capacitors on the inputs should be reversed or non-polar caps should be used.
What would the effect of C123 still having the original polarity have on the function of this circuit?

IC303.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing