Passive Pre between MSB Premier and MSB S202 amp?

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I’m a happy owner of MSB Dac + Amp combo. Unfortunately I can’t afford the upgrade to The Reference DAC that sports a pre module (75k euro). When playing digital music I don’t use my PS Audio BHK Pre and I like the result. Unfortunately I need to swap the cables each time I want to listen to a vinyl, because of it requires a preamp in the chain.

I was wondering if a passive pre could help me. I’d like to have a passive pre able to not alter the sound when I’m playing digital music through the Premier DAC (set high level) to the S202 amp (set at 75 ohm). My aim is to keep the BHK Pre (and other pre) out of the chain, because I’m liking much more going direct from MSB DAC to MSB Amp than using a Pre in between that brings its own signature to the sound, And at the same time it should be able to deliver an excellent sound when I’m playing analog music through the phono pre (Stellar Phono PSA) - without the need of swapping cables, of course. I’m too lazy.

Any MSB owner here ever experienced using passive pre? Pros vs cons? Any suggestion?

A smaller one would be appreciate, I need only 2 XLR and 1 RCA inputs and 1 XLR output.

TIA

Bones13

Jan 11, 2024
USA
I do currently use a preamp between my MSB Premier DAC and Atma-Sphere Class D monoblocks, using XLR connections. The Boulder 508 phono is connected similarly. As I use a balanced tubed pre-amp, and not MSB, amps means I can’t directly answer your question. My current system relit’s on the synergy of the Pre-Amp -> Amp. I just happen to use excellent sources.

I’m positive that MSB designed their amps to work best from the volume control present in their DACs. I’m sure you could stick a passive pre-amp in the middle of that system, but could not predict whether you would retain your current sound. There are some not expensive volume/input control devices available that you could experiment with. Needing a balanced device will increase the cost though.

I, personally, am interested to hear if anyone has run an MSB headphone amp from a pre-amp. The MSB site literature says that they can’t. I’m not sure if it’s an electrical thing (impedence/load type of thing) vs a liability thing of a headphone amp lacking volume control being dangerous to hearing when using a source without a volume control. Most headphone amps having built in volume controls of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnf

shawnf

Jan 1, 2022
I do currently use a preamp between my MSB Premier DAC and Atma-Sphere Class D monoblocks, using XLR connections. The Boulder 508 phono is connected similarly. As I use a balanced tubed pre-amp, and not MSB, amps means I can’t directly answer your question. My current system relit’s on the synergy of the Pre-Amp -> Amp. I just happen to use excellent sources.

I’m positive that MSB designed their amps to work best from the volume control present in their DACs. I’m sure you could stick a passive pre-amp in the middle of that system, but could not predict whether you would retain your current sound. There are some not expensive volume/input control devices available that you could experiment with. Needing a balanced device will increase the cost though.

I, personally, am interested to hear if anyone has run an MSB headphone amp from a pre-amp. The MSB site literature says that they can’t. I’m not sure if it’s an electrical thing (impedence/load type of thing) vs a liability thing of a headphone amp lacking volume control being dangerous to hearing when using a source without a volume control. Most headphone amps having built in volume controls of course.
Yes - I'd be keen to know too.

My headphone setup consists of plugging my Premier DAC direct to a Benchmark AHB2 and using the DAC's preamp and attenuator for volume control. It's a very powerful solution, especially if you use certain Hifiman headphone modules. But I am keen to also see how the MSB headphone amp performs.

Last edited:

Bones13

Jan 11, 2024
USA
I was informed by MSB the Premier Headphone amplifier had issues with over voltage from some pre-amps. Specifically that my ModWright LS300 could provide enough voltage to fry an expensive part in the Premier Headphone amplifier.

For me, it will come down to a simple decision. When I downsize later this year (retirement + downsizing/moving to Seattle) If I have enough room to keep the vinyl side of my system (TT, phono pre, and the ModWright pre + vinyl storage + record cleaning machine) then I’ll keep either/both of the Blue Hawaii SE + Violectric V281 headphone amps. (the ModWright LS300 has 2 XLR outputs)

If there is not enough room for the vinyl, then it might be MSB stack to amp/speakers, using the MSB Premier DAC volume control. Decision then will be sticking with my BHSE (electrostatic) system, or go full hog MSB using the Premier Headphone amp. The BHSE does have a fully passive XLR pass through. (XLR inputs directly wired to XLR outputs, so it works even if BHSE powered off)

Other concerns involve the fact that we are moving to assist our daughter with child care, and tubes may be a concern. Many factors to consider as things move along.

I love the MSB Premier DAC, and have a Digital Director coming next week (65th BD present) it will form the central axis of my retirement system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing