Post Your Frequency Response Curve!

Okay another one , this one is 1/2 octave smoothed and measured on tweeter axxis at 1 meter distance .
If i want to have more down slope , i measure ( or listen ) of tweeter axxis .

FYI the below graph is almost +- 1 db over a 650 - 20 khz range , not bad in my view

Where you put the mic is extremely important to have a beauty graph .
15 cm higher and measured at 2 meters will give a different graph

1676908364348.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Link
Hi Ron,
use A weighted (Flat no longer used), higher sample, Blackman clearer than hamming and simple graph which removes the high freq hash. (NB. living room, no music)

I updated my first post hereof to standardize the parameters to your suggestions.

If we all download the same app and set the adjustments the same way we will have a very interesting relatively apples-to-apples look at our respective frequency response curves!

This will be very fun!
actually, it's the opposite of fun. what do you think this will glean? that there is a perfect curve for every room and type of speaker?

Reactions: MRJAZZ
tonight i will try A weighting, and the Blackman window.

see where that goes.

Your first curve ain't bad already.
Apart from that small bump at 50Hz (probably nicely euphonic in real life!), you have an unbelievably flat, downward sloping, response...
Enviably impressive!

I'd love to hear a Barbirolli Mahler on that system... or a Black Sabbath tune or two:)

Your first curve ain't bad already.
Apart from that small bump at 50Hz (probably nicely euphonic in real life!)
might be the mic.
, you have an unbelievably flat, downward sloping, response...
Enviably impressive!

I'd love to hear a Barbirolli Mahler on that system... or a Black Sabbath tune or two:)
i listen to Mahler all the time. no, i don't 'know' it. but like it plenty. my system likes it too. did the 192/24 'Gatti' 4th last night.

later last night listened to a two reel (excellent) master dub of Alan Parson's "The Turn of a Friendly Card" on 1/2" tape (on the MR-70's) that was quite awesome sounding. "Time" was excellent...immersive. like large orchestral really. got my head right for a good week.

Last edited:
actually, it's the opposite of fun. what do you think this will glean? that there is a perfect curve for every room and type of speaker?

It is a bit of rare objective information in our subjective hobby. I'm finding it interesting to see when I hear something subjectively, if I then can identify it objectively on the spectrum curve.

I find the same. In general speakers that are fatiguing or are so high-end that they "reveal bad recordings" often have uneven and/or elevated response somewhere around 1-4khz.
I've used XTZ's measuring system for a number of years. Attached is my latest sweep with my Quad ESL 63's and Entec subs. My room is 19' x 14' x 10' and has a vicious suckout between 30 and 60 hz which emasculated the bass in my Magico S3 Mk II's. That's shown in the second attachment. I needed a pair of seperate subs, which are in opposite corners of the room, and a Trinnov processor to fix it.

Attachments

• xtz 70 new.PNG
    xtz 70 new.PNG
    352.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Magico S3.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 22
I've used XTZ's measuring system for a number of years. Attached is my latest sweep with my Quad ESL 63's and Entec subs. My room is 19' x 14' x 10' and has a vicious suckout between 30 and 60 hz which emasculated the bass in my Magico S3 Mk II's. That's shown in the second attachment. I needed a pair of seperate subs, which are in opposite corners of the room, and a Trinnov processor to fix it.
Hmmm... Your new measurement looks like it's done at 3ppo smoothing in XTZ. But when I look at your old measurement, it looks like it's done at 12ppo smoothing. But I might be wrong. Maybe worthwhile to try measuring with XTZ again at 12ppo. Or not.

Hmmm... Your new measurement looks like it's done at 3ppo smoothing in XTZ. But when I look at your old measurement, it looks like it's done at 12ppo smoothing. But I might be wrong. Maybe worthwhile to try measuring with XTZ again at 12ppo. Or not.
You're corect, I switched to 3ppo when I started using the Trinnov. Either way the cancellation is apparent.

All of your measurements look amazing in your treated rooms. I just use my asymmetric untreated living room with no atheistic options to move my listening seat for smoother bass. You can easily see how different my left and right channels differ from each other. I agree with Ron that ideally, everyone should use the same measurement and smoothing, otherwise, you get very different looking results as I can see some graphs displayed here are 1/3 smoothing, some 1/12 smoothing and others closer to 1/48 smoothing.

Anyway, here's mine with and without DSP of both channels. Looking at your measurements remind me that perhaps it's time to have a dedicated audio room because DSP has its limitations.
1-48SmMeasure.jpg
1/48 smoothing without DSP
1-12SmMeasure.jpg
1/12 smoothing
1-3SmMeasure.jpg
1/3 smoothing

And with DSP (parametric EQ), things are a little bit better but still not as great as what others have shown:
WithDSP1-12SmMeasure.jpg
1/12 smoothing with DSP
WithDSP1-3SmMeasure.jpg
1/3 smoothing with DSP

But so far, the system sounds good enough. At least you've shown me what the future holds for me. Thanks.

Very nice curves posted here!

Keep them coming!

Sorry to say that unless people standardize the vertical scale and all the RTA parameters, all we can say it that they are nice looking. If we use a 100dB scale dynamics to show a 30 dB variation the curve will probably look nice compared to the same curve shown with 40 dB scale dynamics.

When analyzing one key point is slope - in the few examples we can see curves that have a slope downwards around 0.7dB/octave up to 6dB/octave!

IMO people should also list the distance between the speaker and the microphone.

You're corect, I switched to 3ppo when I started using the Trinnov. Either way the cancellation is apparent.
Yeah, I think suckout/cancellations are very challenging. Jim Smith, the author of Get Better Sound, alway stresses the importance of finding a seating position with the smoothest bass first. And this involves just moving your seat forwards and backwards. I have dropped by friends’ places with dedicated listening/home theatre rooms and you can see from the measurements how the bass smoothness changes based on where you choose to sit. Unfortunately for most of my friends, even with a dedicated room, they have built-in “restrictions” that wouldn’t allow them to move their seating position. So while it’s an interesting proof of concept, it became a moot exercise for them.

With Blackman window:

A weighting

E7B17687-A57B-4943-89EE-5D4323999FE6.png

Flat Weighting

917A96A0-15E4-4950-B36A-E262A65ECCF1.png

Ron,

Can you explain us why you are posting A weighted curves of your system?

Only because Blue58 told us to use A. See Post #16, above.

I assumed we wanted flat, but Blue58 encouraged A.

Which weighting do you think we should be using?

Yeah, I think suckout/cancellations are very challenging. Jim Smith, the author of Get Better Sound, alway stresses the importance of finding a seating position with the smoothest bass first. And this involves just moving your seat forwards and backwards. I have dropped by friends’ places with dedicated listening/home theatre rooms and you can see from the measurements how the bass smoothness changes based on where you choose to sit. Unfortunately for most of my friends, even with a dedicated room, they have built-in “restrictions” that wouldn’t allow them to move their seating position. So while it’s an interesting proof of concept, it became a moot exercise for them.
I tried moving the seat and speakers as much as I could but nothing really helped much. Ths subs in opposite corners took care of most of it and the Trinnov the rest. Attached are the subs and Quads seperate sweeps using the Trinnov software. These are after the Trinnov's processing but before the crossover was installed. You can see after 50 Hz or so the Quads fall like a homesick brick. FWIW I'm currently crossing the Quads over at 70 Hz. To my ears the system sounds very good, best ever in this room.
The Trinnov measured the RT60 at .28 and the subs at -6db@20.3Hz in these sweeps.

Attachments

• xtz quads only.PNG
    xtz quads only.PNG
    505 KB · Views: 13
  • xtz subs only.PNG
    xtz subs only.PNG
    512.8 KB · Views: 13

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing