Relationship between driver and power tubes

antigrunge

Jan 17, 2022
One aspect often getting lost is the relationship between driver and power tubes. On my Wavac EC300b I use different driver tubes depending on which 300b tube I am using.
With Takatsukis the best result is achieved with Tungsol 6l6G coke bottles, using more high powered 6L6GCs (eg. JAN Philips 7581a or Svetlana Winged Cs) results in an overblown, harsh sound. Conversely using EAT 300bs with the coke bottles doesn’t work, resulting in early clipping and constrained dynamics. The EATs work best with Svelana Winged Cs, the even more high powered 7581as still feel overblown.

Given these findings, taking single power tube tests at face value without referencing the driver tubes seems problematic.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
One aspect often getting lost is the relationship between driver and power tubes. On my Wavac EC300b I use different driver tubes depending on which 300b tube I am using.
With Takatsukis the best result is achieved with Tungsol 6l6G coke bottles, using more high powered 6L6GCs (eg. JAN Philips 7581a or Svetlana Winged Cs) results in an overblown, harsh sound. Conversely using EAT 300bs with the coke bottles doesn’t work, resulting in early clipping and constrained dynamics. The EATs work best with Svelana Winged Cs, the even more high powered 7581as still feel overblown.

Given these findings, taking single power tube tests at face value without referencing the driver tubes seems problematic.
not every amp is easy to tube roll. But with this one, the biasing of the 6l6 stage comes into play and it seems like it is hot biased so only a few tubes work within the gain structure. I imagine there is bias adjustments and I would consult the manual or contacting the rep. will give you that info.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing