Running shoes

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Somehow, I believe among audiophile community there must be a candid number of runners doing it either for fun, health or even competitive reasons.
Until last year I was a big hater of running, despite the fact that till age of 18 I was involved in competitive tennis, running was always my pain point. Since stopping with tennis, I did all kinds of sports but never tried to run until boredom of the summer vacation killed me and I did not know what to do anymore so I said to myself - let's try to run.
Since then, I'm doing it regularly, minimum 3x per week sometimes even more, with a goal to increase the distance and pace and develop a proper running technique. I already did one 10k race and getting ready for the second one at the end of this month. All this at the age of 50 ain't to shabby :).
And there of course running shoes come into the picture as the most important part of the gear (I would say).
As I do love ON Running shoes, I started with them (Cloud 5) and later moved to Cloud Flyer and Cloud Surfer models out of which Cloud Surfer were the best ones for running. Best cushioning, transition and "bounce" effect while at the same time being super comfortable.
Later @bonzo75 opened my eyes with Hoka Carbon X3 which I use now and to my legs/feet feeling, those are quite ahead of ON running in sense of those particular parameters. Design wise, which I find important, I kind of prefer HOKA as well.
With regards to longevity and overall quality ON went down in last few years while HOKA I still can't judge objectively as this is my first pair (ON Running I had like 8/9 pairs in total over the years).

Cheers and keep running :cool:

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Later @bonzo75 opened my eyes with Hoka Carbon X3 which I use now and to my legs/feet feeling, those are quite ahead of ON running in sense of those particular parameters. Design wise, which I find important, I kind of prefer HOKA as well.
With regards to longevity and overall quality ON went down in last few years while HOKA I still can't judge objectively as this is my first pair (ON Running I had like 8/9 pairs in total over the years).

Cheers and keep running :cool:
Ha. Lampi and Hoka. Let me know if you want me to recommend you underwears, though my size is quite large.

That said, I was showing a friend around London last weekend, and we walked 15 miles each on two days. I did it in Hoka, so apart from running shoes, they are great walking shoes for long distance. Feet were absolutely fine.

I would also recommend Saucony Speed 2 or 3 as excellent for training.

Have tried Asics Metaspeed, Nike Vaporfly (better for those who do races and have narrower feet, rather than for training), New Balance and Brooks too. But those two are my top choices. Brooks is also great but does not have the carbon plate in the sole. For 50k and 100k one of the record breakers and one who fell just short of the record used Hoka. so they are excellent for training.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Never heard about Oofos here tbh...need to check..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
I've been running a lot longer than I've been HiFi'ing (although I think in college my jealousy of the "rich kids" with nice stereos planted the seed). I lettered in Track in college, but it was in pole vaulting. After college got into running. Got my 5k down to 17:10 10k 35:00 and marathon 2:40. Then I stopped running to raise a family. Now I'm back into running doing 50Ks. I also hike a lot. This year I'll finish with about 1700 miles and 310,000 ft of elevation gain (thanks Strava for keeping the records for me).

I wear out a pair of Hoka's about every 3 months. The granite in the Sierras is hard on them. My favorite right now is the Speedgoat V.

Jerry

• Wow

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
There is a great running shoe review website - RoadTrailRun.com with very detailed reviews from multiple runners. Also, check out Jeff Pelletier's youtube films for his trail running adventures - really amazing film/video quality, scenery and story telling. Jeff and Audrée inspire me to run more. https://www.youtube.com/@JeffPelletier

My priority is comfort over long miles, not speed, and I have multiple pairs of road and trail shoes in a rotation. For technical trail running, I found that the Altra Timp trail shoes were very stable and saved me from falling several times when I was sure I was going to fall. I took a bad downhill fall on rocks in my Hoka Speedgoats, and now I only use them on less technical running. I love the Brooks Cascadia for hiking and trail running. For roads and the tread mill I like Brooks Glycerin and Ghost, and Saucony Ride.

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
I love the Altra's but can't wear them. If you are size 10 I have 2 pair (laundered) to send you. My calves are always my weakest link and I need the heel lift to avoid achilles tendonitis. --Jerry

Reactions: Rumpole

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I've been running a lot longer than I've been HiFi'ing (although I think in college my jealousy of the "rich kids" with nice stereos planted the seed). I lettered in Track in college, but it was in pole vaulting. After college got into running. Got my 5k down to 17:10 10k 35:00 and marathon 2:40. Then I stopped running to raise a family. Now I'm back into running doing 50Ks. I also hike a lot. This year I'll finish with about 1700 miles and 310,000 ft of elevation gain (thanks Strava for keeping the records for me).

I wear out a pair of Hoka's about every 3 months. The granite in the Sierras is hard on them. My favorite right now is the Speedgoat V.

Jerry
I started/discovered running as an "old" guy (49) as I kind of hated running my entire life.
Now I'm hooked and it became an integral part of my exercise routine beside ergo rowing and working out in gym with running being the one where I try to move the needle the most in sense of pace and time (10k for now).
Saying that, your times on 5/10/42k look like a distant galaxy for me :D but as they say it's about enjoying each step and not conquering the mountain (still I would love to run at least below 50min/10k - '24 goal).
Didn't try that model of HOKA as I'm mainly on the road so I'm still using Carbon X3 and Clifton 9...(maybe Santa will bring some new model to try it out). And indeed they are much better than ONRunning for my legs...

Cheers;
Goran

Last edited:

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Goran,
Just to be clear, my times are far in the past for me. I run more 8-10 minute miles now. If you're ever this way I'd love to go running with you. --Jerry

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Goran,
Just to be clear, my times are far in the past for me. I run more 8-10 minute miles now. If you're ever this way I'd love to go running with you. --Jerry
Much appreciated!! Same goes for You if you're visiting CH at some point.
This is also the point which I started to love about running (kind of same as with HiFi) - bonding with people...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Funny enough Santa brought me Speedgoat 5...uber cool

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
The Speedgoat 5 is my favorite shoe. Speedgoats used to have too much midsole for offroad but they fixed that. They run 1/4 size smaller than other Hokas so make sure they aren't too short before you hit the trail.

Merry Christmas.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Out on the trail several days ago I saw a guy wearing some shoes that were a certain shade of red with gold soles. OMG darTZeel monos!! (Unique - no idea the brand!)

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
It is great that we have so many audiophiles here taking care of the body that hauls their ears around.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
I love the Altra's but can't wear them. If you are size 10 I have 2 pair (laundered) to send you. My calves are always my weakest link and I need the heel lift to avoid achilles tendonitis. --Jerry
Thanks, but I wear a much larger size. You know what they say: Big feet, big amps. :)

Reactions: Carlsbad

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Jerry

those are very impressive times. Hoka has the world record and the runners up, for 100k and 50k (don’t remember which is which).

My running is limited to zone 2 runs of 10k. I do Zone 2 cardio three times a week, not always running, and high intensity intervals once a week where I run. For the 10ks and long walks I use Hoka Carbon X2, for the sprints I use Saucony speed 3.

Last edited:

YuremVaughan

Mar 21, 2024
USA
It's incredible how you've embraced it as a regular part of your life, especially after your history with competitive tennis. Your dedication to running regularly, aiming to improve distance, pace, and technique, is commendable. And kudos on completing a 10k race and gearing up for another one at 50 – that's absolutely fantastic!

• Love

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing