Setting up long term storage vinyl rig. Well Tempered Reference/ Zyx Airy 3 SB

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
So I am thinking of spinning up my vinyl rig. It has been sitting for almost 15 years (!).

I have a Well Tempered Reference, which I had tweaked over time to perform way above the general performance. What's nice is that apart from replacing the belt, and checking silicone in bearing, I don't think I need to do much to get it going. All the silicone looks to be the same viscosity it was, I don't think it ages much.

But I am wondering about the Zyx Airy 3 SB, it was probably halfway through its life when I mothballed it. As I remember it, it does not have a rubber connector to the cantilever (which was one of the selling points for me), so that may not be a problem. Is that true?? Any other potential problems apart from cleaning up connections and checking alignment???

Trying to keep costs low as I dip my toe back in. I will need a good phono stage as well.

I have become very interested in the Hoblo Mk II as an end game table, but would need several iterations before I get there.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
As I remember it, it does not have a rubber connector to the cantilever (which was one of the selling points for me), so that may not be a problem. Is that true??
I guess you mean the damper (elastomer) by "rubber connector". There is no stereo MC cartridge without an elastomer damper that I know of (I don't say that it doesn't exist).

IMHO ZYX airy 3 does have an elastomer damper as a part of it's suspension and it is most probably dried out in 15 years.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Tuckers if you liked how it all sounded when you stopped using the setup then it makes sense to get the cart rebuilt and get started there. If you have lingering memories of not liking the cart then don't put money into it :)

As for phono stage any preferences based on past experience or current research?

Reactions: mtemur

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
if you liked how it all sounded when you stopped using the setup then it makes sense to get the cart rebuilt and get started there. If you have lingering memories of not liking the cart then don't put money into it :)

As for phono stage any preferences based on past experience or current research?
The combo of the WT Reference, which tended to be a bit dark and warm with the Airy3 which was a bit zippy and bright was a good pairing. I have about 10 hi rez digital recordings I made from my favorite records then, and I can still revisit those today and hear the 'sound' of that combo.

I will look into getting the cart rebuilt, I remember it generally costs about 50% of the original price to rebuild them? I guess my question would be for the price is there something modern that might be significantly better?

Well, the last phono preamp I had was the Shindo Catherine, I used it with this TT and a full Shindo TT/SPU setup. (I ultimately significantly preferred my tweaked Well Tempered rig.) I'm not going to access anything as rarified as that preamp these days, I LOVED the sound of that Shindo preamp.

These days, I won't consider tubes, I love them, but want to keep my gear running 24/7, and don't want the fiddling. I am definitely looking for something, probably used, that will also be easier to sell later, as what I choose will probably not be an endgame phono.

For analog, my musical tastes run vintage: classic Mercury Golden Sound, RCA Dynagroove, CBS three eye and five eye, Angel Recordings, London FFFR etc :) I prefer an old scratchy early pressing that has that ineffable 'life' to the sound that I don't hear with most reissues today. I am pretty old school :) So my preamp tastes probably go more to organic, flow, tone than analytical. A few phonos that have caught my eye:

KTE LCR-1 MK5 / MK5S – MC/MM/MI – LCR RIAA Phono Stage

Zyx Artisan

https://teddypardo.com/product/phn1-1-two-box-phono-stage/

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
will look into getting the cart rebuilt, I remember it generally costs about 50% of the original price to rebuild them? I guess my question would be for the price is there something modern that might be significantly better?
Get it rebuilt by a competent third party, cost will be small. Enjoy until you know whats next :)

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Get it rebuilt by a competent third party, cost will be small. Enjoy until you know whats next :)
Who would you suggest is a competent third party to rebuild a MC? I heard that SoundSmith takes an inordinate amount of time, there is that fellow allied with VPI, a fellow in Australia, and someone in Connecticut who I think is on US AudioMart. If you sent it off now you'd probably get it back after you decide the phono preamp.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Who would you suggest is a competent third party to rebuild a MC? I heard that SoundSmith takes an inordinate amount of time, there is that fellow allied with VPI, a fellow in Australia, and someone in Connecticut who I think is on US AudioMart. If you sent it off now you'd probably get it back after you decide the phono preamp.
Andy Kim has a great reputation for offering quality retipping services with fair pricing and very quick service times.
https://phonocartridgeretipping.com/

Reactions: Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@audio.bill agreed. Not sure if he does suspension as well but he might. VAS, Ana Mighty, Torlai....

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Ana Mighty Sound did a fine job on my Transfig Proteus including the suspension. The stylus profile was my choice, they offered the original too. Depends where you are in the world if that’s of any relevance to you.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I am in San Francisco, seems to be less options here.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Andy Kim mentioned above is your way, no?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing