Stack Audio SmoothLAN ethernet isolation filter

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
2nd SmoothLAN will go between switch & integrated amp.
How is the ongoing evaluation of the smoothlan this far.

Would ir require another good lan cable to make the bridging connection for what it brings.

Cost would quickly add up adding a nice lan cable to allow for the full benefits to be gained as i presume an investment for nice lan cable would be multiples of the cost of the smoothlan.
Would be great if it was like the ifi lan purifier, which negate another lan cable addition.

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
How is the ongoing evaluation of the smoothlan this far.

Would ir require another good lan cable to make the bridging connection for what it brings.

Cost would quickly add up adding a nice lan cable to allow for the full benefits to be gained as i presume an investment for nice lan cable would be multiples of the cost of the smoothlan.
Would be great if it was like the ifi lan purifier, which negate another lan cable addition.
Hello Justubes,

Unless I misunderstand you, which is entirely possible, no extra LAN cable is necessary.

You simply plug in the ethernet jumper that comes with the smoothLAN filter where existing ethernet cable is.Then existing LAN cable into filter.

In my case, filter & provided jumper plugs into Roon Nucleus+, then existing ethernet cable to switch.

I have a 2nd smoothLAN filter arriving today. I plan to remove the existing ethernet cable that connects switch to integrated amp & replace with jumper/filter combo. Then existing LAN cable into filter.

It is my understanding the SmoothLAN filter & provided pigtail are non-directional.

MacF

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
I was just thinking how much a better jumper cable present a further uplift over tje included pigtail.

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
I understand your point now. I would have to experiment a bit with a different LAN cable from the jumper provided. My existing Ethernet cables are decent SR Galileo SX. To your point, the ENO & Muon come with fixed/internally wired pigtails.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Yes but on the "full" version of Muon pro you also get the best LAN cable in that package. I "only" have the version with the pigtail cable included on my Muno Pro and instead use a Sablon audio Lan at that end. But it would be interesting if you MacF could try the smooth LAN with another cable for example the SR you have. Me personally I think that the filter itself is more important than the LAN cable connecting it.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
I will try the SR Ethernet cable in place of the Stack Audio provided pigtail & report back. However, it has always been my understanding that the quality of cable coming from the "clean side" of the filter is more important.

Reactions: LarsV and Magnuska

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Also, I plan on trying this filter between the SR switch and endpoint, which is a Gold Note integrated
I am very interested in your experience with this. Did you try it?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I understand your point now. I would have to experiment a bit with a different LAN cable from the jumper provided. My existing Ethernet cables are decent SR Galileo SX. To your point, the ENO & Muon come with fixed/internally wired pigtails.
I am sure replacing the high quality 'pigtail' with some esoteric ethernet cable is probably the right place to do so.

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
I am still evaluating best location for smoothLAN #2. I will let you know where the best location is for my setup. It's important to note that I currently have fiber between Fios G3100 router and Synergistic Research switch. SmoothLAN #1 is located between ROON Nucleus+ and SR switch.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
And my experience has shown that the SmoothLAN needs some break in time. In fact in my swapping in and out during critical listening told me that it takes some time to cure every time its swapped to sound its best. I found long term swaps to be the most definitive, where I left it in our out for a couple of days, then switched. The difference was more dramatic.
@Tuckers do you have a sense of how many hours needed for break in? And while it is breaking in, does it cycle between good and bad sound (as some components do)?

I'm thinking of using the SmoothLAN after a Muon Pro so that I can use a fancy LAN cable to feed the streamer. That is how it is currently connected, but using a simple RJ45 connector. In my setup, the LAN cable into the streamer was much better (clarity, body, expressiveness) than using the Muon Pro pigtail into the streamer. YMMV. Could also use it just after the router, which sits in another room.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
@Tuckers do you have a sense of how many hours needed for break in? And while it is breaking in, does it cycle between good and bad sound (as some components do)?

I'm thinking of using the SmoothLAN after a Muon Pro so that I can use a fancy LAN cable to feed the streamer. That is how it is currently connected, but using a simple RJ45 connector. In my setup, the LAN cable into the streamer was much better (clarity, body, expressiveness) than using the Muon Pro pigtail into the streamer. YMMV. Could also use it just after the router, which sits in another room.
I think it took over 100 hours to break in as it was sounding better and better. I had the flu during most of it so I was surprised to hear that improvement through my clogged ears, but I wouldn't say I could tell if it fluctuated. Best to put it on a non audio circuit for 100 hours and switch it to audio after a few days in my opinion.

Reactions: PYP

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

Reactions: jasond and PYP

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
The smooth lan could still be a contender in this area of price segment. But hoping it would be in the Muon pro level is to hope for the impossible. Hans said "you get what you pay for". But in my situation who already have a Muon pro it can do some help to some degree.

Reactions: audiobomber

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
The smooth lan could still be a contender in this area of price segment. But hoping it would be in the Muon pro level is to hope for the impossible. Hans said "you get what you pay for". But in my situation who already have a Muon pro it can do some help to some degree.
do you intend to try the smoothLAN?

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
do you intend to try the smoothLAN?
Maybe, I really like Stack audio and their footers. My objective is always to try and hear for my own first so. I am also waiting for a new switch from Lucas audiolab and an upgraded server. So maybe I will be quite satisfied for a while:)

Reactions: XCop5089 and PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I meant to say LAN iSilencer. I did buy one for one of my secondary systems. I sure wish someone would do a batch listening test with these LAN Isolator devices.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Thanks, that was a very interesting review. Hans B has some good ones too. IMO Alpha Audio is still in learning mode and not definitive, but their measurements are welcome and unique. Most reviewers are still trying to get a handle on network audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: PYP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing