T.H.E. Show 2023-Steve's photos

More tomorrow. Most of the rooms were in the process of being set up and/or needed some settle in time

Must hear rooms so far

SongerAudio?Takatsuki

Raidho/Westminster Rei

Evolution Acoustics/Dartzeel/Wave Kinetics/Durand

Reactions: mxk116 and Audire
Not surprised that one of your must hear rooms features a SET amp. I haven’t heard the Takatsuki, but a great SET with the right speaker makes an irresistible combo. I couldn’t tell if this is the 300B version or their 2A3 amp.

Not surprised that one of your must hear rooms features a SET amp. I haven’t heard the Takatsuki, but a great SET with the right speaker makes an irresistible combo. I couldn’t tell if this is the 300B version or their 2A3 amp.
300B x2 plus a 274B Puts out 8wpc.

That amp with Ken's speakers was simply beautiful

Reactions: DasguteOhr
DAY 2

Attendance was up today but not such that you couldn't get in for a listen. In fact the only room in the show that was by appointment only was the room of Joe Cali, with his large Gryphon speakers as well as all Gryphon Electronic including the Apex and The 467 Lb Commander....man, you don't want to stub your toe on it as it could kill you it's so big.....yet Joe was smiling as he explained how the amp was so easy to slide out of its crate

If you're going tomorrow. I would get there early in order to get your tickets. I was there at 1:00 and they were giving out tickets for the 4:45 show. It is definitely worth a listen as only 20 persons per demo and each demo is 30 minutes with a break in between each.

Also a second visit to the Evolution SYSTEM room was worth it as well as today they sounded so much better. They played a cut from the Dean Martin album thatI am sure most of us have and I almost fell off my seat. It was fabulous. Suffice it to say the new Dartzeel Cartridges are burning in and sounding better. This room for me to day definitely put it in contention for BOS however today I went back to KenSongers room paired with Leo and Alex who represented the amazing Takatsuki amp which was all of 8 watts and it was driving Ken's S2 speaker with ease. Tomorrow Ken will be playing the S1. The sound here is also astonishingly good and should nt be missed

Philip O'Hanlon's room On A Higher Note is also a must. IMO Philip has continued to search out and find equipment that some of us would call starter system in relation to today's outrageous prices yet produce sound that would leave us shaking our heads and calling ourselves crazy as I heard it and Philip's mantra of "mid range magic" is present in all of his systems. This plus the fact that POPhiip will play music that most have never heard or if heard, not as good as the versions Philip has. Philip has his annual demo disk and IIRC this year is 24 (maybe 25) all with what Philip deems is the best to hear and he is never wrong

Another gem room to have a listen is that of Colin King/Gestalt Audio. His small, floor standing field coil speaker and the tube amp he used produced beautiful song and quiiite a sound stage for a speaker of that height.

I have always been a strong proponent of the Westminster Rei amp and Quest preamp. This room today with the Raidho speakers remained one of my favorite. Kudos to Hear This and Gary Leeds.The room is 3 door down from Gestalt audio . If you're going tomorrow you have to hear these amps

Pictures to follow

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing