The Aeris have landed

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Pretty damn excited. My wife too as they are beautiful as expected. Setup has been a pain in the ass as I have to connect a second preamp to my Allnic integrated as the Allnic does not possess a preout.

I got them playing however except for one problem. There is no output from the tweeters from one of the speakers. There is a faint buzz/hiss sound which tells me the Wavelet may not be outputting highs to my left channel.

I know I have a lot of setup to perform on the Wavelet but it is worrisome.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Congratulations on the new pair of Aeris!

You must have a loose connection of some form into or out of Wavelet, the amps or speaker, good luck in tracking it down.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I tracked it down and then some.

We were all wrong.

Let me explain. My Allnic T200 30th does not have a preout, only inputs. But, in the manual, as I discovered later in the purchase, the Allnic can handle another preamp. So, in discussion with Legacy, they said I couldn't really use the Wavelet, rather, the Wavelaunch, not knowing the Allnic trick.

So, I have this Serbian preamp I thought would fit the bill so to speak. Allnic to Acoustic Invader to Wavelet. I couldn't get it to work. Then I said to myself "myself, why can't I simply plug straight into the Wavelet?" So I did. Bam! It worked.

OK 6 hours later we're playing music. Wife is loving it, knowing that we young and separation is not there - yet. I haven't 'calibrated anything because the sound will change immensely. I'm missing cables, an outlet, LPS, it's young in this adventure. But, wholly crap, I just spun Jeff Beck Diamond Dust. I've listened to this song 10,000 times. This time, I thought there was something wrong with my system. The Hammond B3 swung noted to zero then up the scale in a weird timing I never heard before. Amazing.

Lots of setup in front of me. I need a new thread. Cheers.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Do you have it set to look for your Wifi network? If not, I suggest you get that working and also run the room sweeps, upload to the site and get the new Room Correction for your room calc'ed and downloaded to the unit. You will do this again after breakin and when other major changes (cables, LPS, any room treatment changes, new compinents, etc) are made to the system that serve to change the audio result.

Reactions: ozy

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Yes, network is in play. Haven't performed any sweeps yet as the system is settling in. Initially, it was very constrained but started to elevate after around 4 hours.

Can't find a HDplex LPS and waiting on a power cord. Also waiting on 2 sets on balanced cables for evaluation but having tested the Audioquest Pegasus against my Verrastar and Allnic cords, the AQ beat them both so that what's connected to the speakers.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Legacy Aeris speakers

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Yes, network is in play. Haven't performed any sweeps yet as the system is settling in. Initially, it was very constrained but started to elevate after around 4 hours.

Can't find a HDplex LPS and waiting on a power cord. Also waiting on 2 sets on balanced cables for evaluation but having tested the Audioquest Pegasus against my Verrastar and Allnic cords, the AQ beat them both so that what's connected to the speakers.
You should run the sweeps and initial room correction calculation for your setup. Otherwise, you are running with whatever room correction passes done at Legacy when they tested the speakers were deemed necessary from the sweeps they did there. When Wavelet is booted it checks with the servers at Bohmer/Legacy and loads the last known good results matching the unit's serial number.

This is all per the manual.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I'm wishing for a paper manual to help with room correction. Feels like the online manual is missing things like diagrams and installation of the necessary cables. Perhaps I'm not looking at the correct web page.

I can figure all this stuff out but it would have been helpful.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
I have the Aeris as well and in your situation it would seem you need to setup the Wavelet as the preamplifier running to your Allnic as the amplifier for the mid/treble and directly to the Aeris for their internal bass amplifiers. You would need basically pick a volume level on your Allnic like 12:00.

This way you can use the room correction feature on the Wavelet. If there is a large discrepancy in the gain between the Allnic and the 28 gain on Aeris internal amplifiers, you can go into the software and adjust the output gain for either the Allnic or internal amplifiers.

I spent a lot of time recently trying to get my Aries Cerat monobloc amplifiers through the Wavelet but in the end could due to the large gain mismatch.

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
Also you need to set the gains on the inputs of the Wavelet to be sure you don't overload them. Ultimately when using the Wavelet 84 is its optimum volume level. If your DAC has a variable output, Legacy suggest just setting it in the 70s and there would be no need to adjust the input gain on the Wavelet. If the DAC is fixed gain, then you should consider lowering the input gain so the Wavelet's output is in that 84 DB level. It is all relative and is mostly precautionary to prevent an overload to the Wavelet's input.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Thank you. Yes I lowered the gain setting by 12db which seemed nicely dialed in.

But I cannot seem to establish network. Problem may lie with the online manual and the reality of the connections on back of the Wavelet.

The manual shows 1 USB connection whereas the Wavelet has 2 USB inputs. Somewhere with all the setup I've performed, I used thee monoprice adapter to upper USB input. Now I wonder why I simply don't use the ethernet connection at center rear of the Wavelet? Also, using the lower USB connector, it seems the text file didn't install - maybe - and the wifi stick doesn't light which makes sense as a get a network error upon bootup. But I do get to the Bohmer menu.

I cannot get a hold of Legacy to solve this problem so, I guess let the experimentation begin.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Well, I got my network setup and now the sweeps. Left channel sweep no problem. Right channel no sweep output. Channels had been tested and retested. Attempted multiples of times.

I've performed countless Dirac live calibrations without a problem but what a PIA. Weird I'm having this problem. The network problem was that I added the .txt to the file not knowing the I didn't have the 'always show file extension' in explorer. My bad.

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
Thank you. Yes I lowered the gain setting by 12db which seemed nicely dialed in.

But I cannot seem to establish network. Problem may lie with the online manual and the reality of the connections on back of the Wavelet.

The manual shows 1 USB connection whereas the Wavelet has 2 USB inputs. Somewhere with all the setup I've performed, I used thee monoprice adapter to upper USB input. Now I wonder why I simply don't use the ethernet connection at center rear of the Wavelet? Also, using the lower USB connector, it seems the text file didn't install - maybe - and the wifi stick doesn't light which makes sense as a get a network error upon bootup. But I do get to the Bohmer menu.

I cannot get a hold of Legacy to solve this problem so, I guess let the experimentation begin.
Only WiFi works on the Wavelet. It was removed on the Wavelet II.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
I'm pretty frustrated in my attempts at room correction. Right channel would not work but after tweaking or rather, moving interconnects around it woke up oddly I think. Performing a 'sweep' I heard both left and right speakers play which in this software, maybe that's supposed to happen?

Didn't matter at the end of the day as all attempts at uploading failed.

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
I'm pretty frustrated in my attempts at room correcti Right channel would not work but after tweaking or rather, moving interconnects around it woke up oddly I think. Performing a 'sweep' I heard both left and right speakers play which in this software, maybe that's supposed to happen?

Didn't matter at the end of the day as all attempts at uploading failed.
It sounds like you are having the same issue I had when I switched out amplifiers for the mids / treble.

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
It should not happen. The system plays well without the correction. Amazing central image, decent depth and can play well in width. I know it can play much better which is why i bought into the Bohmer system.

The process should be straightforward. It smells of software problems I can't solve. I hope it's user error. It often is. In my IT days (25 years ago) we called it an ID 10 T error.

I can hear relays switching then a very faint sweep on the right channel.

I've sadly gone backwards in my IT manager days. I let my 13 YO son fix most issues now which is fine by me. And I HATE Windows 11 as well as my 13 YO. But that's another topic.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I am tied up at work and can help you after 5pm today. I do not think this is software error as the process runs well every time once system is properly cabled and setup. There is something else afoot.

Where is your dealer in all this? They should be helping you as well.

I'd suggest sending email to service@legacyaudio.com and asking them to get someone on phone to help.

Fyi, there is no Ethernet connection on back of Wavelet2.

AFAIK, There is only 1 USB that works as a digital input, it is in the center of the backpanel in the "Digital Inputs" group. I believe the two above the power input are for bootup config/utility purposes only.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing