The marriage of Studer and Telfumkun

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
The project finally is done but for the playback only first, just on time of TAVES show in Toronto on 28 September, the machine will be in Tri Cell room to play with our tapes, the recording part will be later on to complete the whole thing. I put a switch that can to play with the Studer B62's amp with tube out put ( same thing like my A80's modification but in copper transformer) or to play back of Telefunkun's stock. anyone will have a chance to the show please come to visit us
tony ma

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 884
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 575
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 883
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Hi Tony

I'll definitely drop by the Tri-Cell room for a visit!:D

Hi Ki & Flez
Thank , in photo has no tape on it, I use Ki's way converted all the tapes which ready for the show, I did set a selector for NAB and CCIR in Telefunken and also if people want to compare the stock sound vs tube out put, another selector switch to do the job, but in our listening test stock just good for show the different, it is heavy but still portable, hope that can appear in other show also
tony ma

Hi John
Sorry to tell you that We are not to the show that had been canceled by some reason, maybe next time I hope
tony ma

Hi Tony?...I'm so sorry to hear that. Your tapes have been so warmly received that I was so looking forward at the opportunity to hear a brief passage. Oh well, next time indeed!

Hi Tony?...I'm so sorry to hear that. Your tapes have been so warmly received that I was so looking forward at the opportunity to hear a brief passage. Oh well, next time indeed!

Hi John
If you don't mine to have 1 hour drive, you can come anytime to have some fun of R2R here compare to vinyl
tony ma

Hi John
If you don't mine to have 1 hour drive, you can come anytime to have some fun of R2R here compare to vinyl
tony ma

I would like that very much! I'll PM you and we could set up a day and time.

That's an offer I wouldn't miss out on John

I agree Steve! Hopefully very soon as we are starting our busy season.

The project was rushed and done 3 days before the show actually the sound is not break in yet ( all new parts), The boss of Tri Cell Ent (the biggest Hi End whole seller in Canada) who is friend of Ed Pong, We asked him if he like to have tape sound for their hi end amp and speaker in the show, he like the idea too so asked we let him listen first, then we move that heavy Telefunkun and tube preamp + ps to their warehouse for listening and he asked left them over for their boys to see how to work out in the show, but called next day and said that they decide not go for it because will give their hi end vinyl system a hard time and no advantage for them, well maybe we will do by ourselves in next time. so the machine back to my basement and breaking in now, the sound getting better and better, the stock sound of Telefunkun and Studer is not the same, Telefunkun got the firm image and sound stage but less emotion and detail, Studer has more detail but soft and not too firm image, after combined in this project, it created a new kind of sound got good thing from both and the face out operating give help too because the touching between head and tape I guest, all the listeners in here they all like the new sound much than the stock when I turn back to stock for showing within seconds they asked stop want back to the new one, so I think sound of R2R still has a long way to go and lot of fun in future
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing