The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

So what's the verdict? Are these new DG top quality and worth it? I want to get Mahler 5 but not if it's not as good as the digital version due to press quality...

So what's the verdict? Are these new DG top quality and worth it? I want to get Mahler 5 but not if it's not as good as the digital version due to press quality...

Generally yes they are better than the original issuances and you can hear the difference between them and their earlier digitally processed releases. As with all records, some performances are better than others. And, as with all records, there can be pressing issues -- I had to return the Strauss "Vier Letze Lieder" as it had a smear in the vinyl on one side. Just buy from someone who accepts returns.

The von Karajan Mahler 5th available today from major retailers is a second issue of that record as the first Original Source run sold out a while back, so the current copies will not be numbered. The Original Source version is on 4 LP sides whereas the original recording is on 3 sides.

Cannot speak to digital versions as I'm all analog.

My view is that if you want a better copy of a particular performance than came out originally, then go for it.

Mahler 5th Symphony 4th Movement Adagietto:
Scored for all strings: Harp, First & Second Violins, Viola, Cello, Double Bass

Here is the original 1975 release (DG 2707 081):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpjglT18H_o

Here is the Original Source Series release DG 486 3845)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqm52HXcK8k

For comparison, what I hear in-room is improved interior detail (pppp), upper highs from violins are more natural with greater articulation and clarity in the lower bass toward the end. There are just a handful of pizzacatto notes for the cello and double bass and none for the higher registers (quick glance), so the overall effect is a wee bit blurry with greater emphasis on tone gestalt and flow.

Generally yes they are better than the original issuances and you can hear the difference between them and their earlier digitally processed releases. As with all records, some performances are better than others. And, as with all records, there can be pressing issues -- I had to return the Strauss "Vier Letze Lieder" as it had a smear in the vinyl on one side. Just buy from someone who accepts returns.

The von Karajan Mahler 5th available today from major retailers is a second issue of that record as the first Original Source run sold out a while back, so the current copies will not be numbered. The Original Source version is on 4 LP sides whereas the original recording is on 3 sides.

Cannot speak to digital versions as I'm all analog.

My view is that if you want a better copy of a particular performance than came out originally, then go for it.

Mahler 5th Symphony 4th Movement Adagietto:
Scored for all strings: Harp, First & Second Violins, Viola, Cello, Double Bass

Here is the original 1975 release (DG 2707 081):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpjglT18H_o

Here is the Original Source Series release DG 486 3845)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqm52HXcK8k

For comparison, what I hear in-room is improved interior detail (pppp), upper highs from violins are more natural with greater articulation and clarity in the lower bass toward the end. There are just a handful of pizzacatto notes for the cello and double bass and none for the higher registers (quick glance), so the overall effect is a wee bit blurry with greater emphasis on tone gestalt and flow.
I can't hear a difference myself, old ears, but man! Does your system sound good!

Reactions: tima
I am very happy with mine. Have purchased all of the DG TOS releases to date.
Great recordings with low surface noise (and I listen most of the time through my UK based headphone system).
Only had a problem with one record on one side with it sticking in one place ! (see one of my previous posts on this issue).

Just ordered my DG TOS Bruckner, Karajan nine Symphonies 17 LPs box set.
I hope DG will release more TOS box sets of famous Symphonies from these amazing and famous Composers !

In February I ordered the Carlo Maria Giulini Half-Speed Mastered 6LP set of Bruckner Symphonies 7-9 from DG -- that was for August delivery though now they say June 7. This is available for pre-order from US retailers ... I'm thinking maybe $20 less than from DG.

The debate I'm having with myself is whether to wait and see if the 17LP HvK Bruckner set will be sold in the US. Thus far prices here for the TOS series are considerably lower especially when you factor in shipping cost.

Given 2024 is the 200th anniversary of Bruckner's birth, it is unlikely we will see such a bounty as these two sets anytime in the future.

You may know this ... there are others recently released:

Celibidache on vinyl is almost never seen.

This one, a rerelease on EMI Testament from the Shuricht 1962 recording, is backordered in some places. I caught one in June of 2023. A deeper search may find ...

In Europe, jpc.de has Haitink, one of my favorite conductors ...

and Abbado, whose Lucerne Festival recordings are not usually found on vinyl

... und Furtwangler from 1949 ... rereleased by Warner on vinyl. I have a few of these recent Warner issues and thus far the sound quality has been excellent. How well this one is cleaned up, I cannot say.

and, in the recent TOS issues, Barenboim with the Chicago Symphony, 2LPs, available from US retailers, expected May 5.

Last edited:
For those thinking to make Original Source series purchases, here is another teaser: Claudio Abbado and the Vienna Philharmonic performing Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. It was first released in 1976 and now receives the TOS treatment (DG 2530 651)

The video covers the 3rd Movement with a taste of the 4th. I have used this music as part of my standard reviewing repertoire for several years -- with its diverse instrumentation, broad palette of dynamics and tempos, it is my favorite Tchaikovsky Symphony.

The 3rd Movement is described in the score as: Scherzo. Pizzicato Ostinato. Allegro. Which tells us it is lively with plucked strings in a repeated rhythmic pattern and be quick about it! To me it is a delightful combination of pizzacato strings with well articulated lower registers and brilliant writing for woodwinds. This movement contains what may be the most difficult solo ever written for the piccolo: 21 notes played in ~3 seconds (listen around 2:40). The partical 4th movement, the finale, starts ~5:39 and T describes it as Allegro iCon Fuoco -- Very Quick with Fire! I faded out the finale which gets even more heated as it proceeds to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jQE4SAw_U

Tchaikovsky 4th Sym Abbado Vienna TOS DG 2530 651 .jpg
The cover art is Kandinsky.

In February I ordered the Carlo Maria Giulini Half-Speed Mastered 6LP set of Bruckner Symphonies 7-9 from DG -- that was for August delivery though now they say June 7. This is available for pre-order from US retailers ... I'm thinking maybe $20 less than from DG.

The debate I'm having with myself is whether to wait and see if the 17LP HvK Bruckner set will be sold in the US. Thus far prices here for the TOS series are considerably lower especially when you factor in shipping cost.

Given 2024 is the 200th anniversary of Bruckner's birth, it is unlikely we will see such a bounty as these two sets anytime in the future.

You may know this ... there are others recently released:

Celibidache on vinyl is almost never seen.

This one, a rerelease on EMI Testament from the Shuricht 1962 recording, is backordered in some places. I caught one in June of 2023. A deeper search may find ...

In Europe, jpc.de has Haitink, one of my favorite conductors ...

and Abbado, whose Lucerne Festival recordings are not usually found on vinyl

... und Furtwangler from 1949 ... rereleased by Warner on vinyl. I have a few of these recent Warner issues and thus far the sound quality has been excellent. How well this one is cleaned up, I cannot say.

and, in the recent TOS issues, Barenboim with the Chicago Symphony, 2LPs, available from US retailers, expected May 5.

Hi Tima,
Are the DG TOS LPs you can buy from the US Retailers the first editions or the later 2nd editions ?

I personally only want to buy the DG TOS first editions (mainly for future financial benefit to one of my family members who will inherit my total vinyl collection when I am brown bread) , hence why I am buying them direct from DG (although I have been grumbling about the extra crazy VAT I have to buy with ordering them from within the UK !)

I got my Steinberg set from Amazon today. Disappointed with the high pressing number, but visually all three records look flawless. Hope they sound that way!

I didn’t believe what I heard in the Zarathustra opening before I measured it: 16,4 Hz. From an LP.
The Hindemith disc is sublime.

Reactions: tony22
For those thinking to make Original Source series purchases, here is another teaser: Claudio Abbado and the Vienna Philharmonic performing Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. It was first released in 1976 and now receives the TOS treatment (DG 2530 651)

The video covers the 3rd Movement with a taste of the 4th. I have used this music as part of my standard reviewing repertoire for several years -- with its diverse instrumentation, broad palette of dynamics and tempos, it is my favorite Tchaikovsky Symphony.

The 3rd Movement is described in the score as: Scherzo. Pizzicato Ostinato. Allegro. Which tells us it is lively with plucked strings in a repeated rhythmic pattern and be quick about it! To me it is a delightful combination of pizzacato strings with well articulated lower registers and brilliant writing for woodwinds. This movement contains what may be the most difficult solo ever written for the piccolo: 21 notes played in ~3 seconds (listen around 2:40). The partical 4th movement, the finale, starts ~5:39 and T describes it as Allegro iCon Fuoco -- Very Quick with Fire! I faded out the finale which gets even more heated as it proceeds to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jQE4SAw_U

View attachment 129694
The cover art is Kandinsky.
i somehow ended up with 2 copies of this one; #1913 and #2519 (i inadvertently hit '2' instead of '1' when i ordered it). i've played it a few times....it's a winner. agree on the third movement. i did not know the details about why i liked it so much :rolleyes: , but thanks for explaining it. great recording and very enjoyable.

question on the Original Source 'treatment' of the Karajan Bruckner 17 Lp box set.

i have a number of Bruckner Lps, including the Karajan DG of the 1st and 9th. and the Jochum/Berlin Phil. DG Tulip complete set......which is very good to my ears (and easy to find and cheap).

am i 'musically' going to want to add the Original Source Karajan set for $300? or just to hear what the OS treatment might add?

Last edited:
question on the Original Source 'treatment' of the Karajan Bruckner 17 Lp box set.

i have a number of Bruckner Lps, including the Karajan DG of the 1st and 9th. and the Jochum/Berlin Phil. DG Tulip complete set......which is very good to my ears (and easy to find and cheap).

am i 'musically' going to want to add the Original Source Karajan set for $300? or just to hear what the OS treatment might add
Of course you want to ! ;):p

am i 'musically' going to want to add the Original Source Karajan set for $300? or just to hear what the OS treatment might add?

Karajan's Bruckner 3, 5, 6, 8 are all superb.

iirc you have the Giulini TOS treated set on order.

I'm guessing the 1967 Jochum set is AAA, so, in a sense, it already has the TOS treatment. :)

Does anyone have experience with Horch House master Tapes for Steinberg's Planets and Thus Spoke Zarathustra. How they fare against the original source vinyl release. Tape is generally better but if the 2ch master for original source is the better one, it will still top the tape according to my experience. So does anyone know which master Horch house used?

I was just going to get the original source and saw these two titles at my record shop in tape format, so I am intrigued!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing