Tube Rolling a PS? Much of a difference?

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Hi. I'm pretty much a tube novice, but I'm very happy with my Modwright KWH 225i integrated hybrid amp and my Modwright PH 9.0XT tube phono stage. The PH 9.0XT uses two 6C45s and two 6922s in the phono stage itself, and a single 5AR4 rectifier in the separate power supply, which is connected via an umbilical.
I kind of understand some of the differences that varying makes and models of tubes make in amplification stages, but does tube rolling a power supply make much of a difference?
Thanks!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes very much. The rectifier is the "guardian at the AC gate" as it converts to DC used in the audio circuits. Give it a try with the rectifiers types that can sub for the 5ar4. If in doubt, contact Dan as to what can be tried safely. He usually responds to customer questions.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
"Never underestimate the power of a tube rectifier".....I'm pretty sure those words have come out of my mouth one or fifty-six times.

Tom

modwright

Industry Expert
Nov 2, 2017
WA ST
www.modwright.com
Hi. I'm pretty much a tube novice, but I'm very happy with my Modwright KWH 225i integrated hybrid amp and my Modwright PH 9.0XT tube phono stage. The PH 9.0XT uses two 6C45s and two 6922s in the phono stage itself, and a single 5AR4 rectifier in the separate power supply, which is connected via an umbilical.
I kind of understand some of the differences that varying makes and models of tubes make in amplification stages, but does tube rolling a power supply make much of a difference?
Thanks!
Tube rectifiers are fascinating tubes to roll! For a number of reasons, they change the overall sound and tone, significantly! We use tube rectification in all of our best tube gear for this reason! The Analog Bridge uses tube rectification and parallel 6SN7 and 6922 driver stages, switchable on-the-fly, to allow great than '3-factorial' number of tonal permutations. I am glad you are enjoying the KWH 225i and PH 9.0XT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing