What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

They flattened mine quite well in combination with a record weight on the spindle. I have never had my TT weights ring slip over the side as you say.

It is rare with most records, but happens more often with the Classic Records and occassionally also with some of the AP pressings.

Sumiko Blackbird cartridge on a SME IV arm and Acoustic Signature Storm TT.

shti.jpg

Another great looking table. Very sleek. I like it!:)

Hello to All,

I love the Ortofon V-Series (Vero,Valencia,Venice and Vienna)...The Valencia and Venice have the SPU-Gen Midrange.
My Vienna(VTF 2,30g) is my personal Favorit,it has more Resolution,Dynamic and Holographic as the Others.
Funny Solarisation
Ortofon Vienna resized.jpg

Zyx Rs 30 Shibata(retip)(VTF1,85g) sounds natural and holographic,when the Armweigt under< 17gr. its lost the Magic Touch.

Zyx Rs 30 Shibata resized.jpg

Audio Technica ART1 (VTF 1,56g)is a Resolution Machine for me a little Bit to lean sound and technical not my Way to listen Music.
Audio Technica Art-1resized.jpg

Sorry,Pics at my Profile need to resized ,mea culpa:(

Best Regards to All,
Stephan

Last edited:
Hello to All,

I love the Ortofon V-Series (Vero,Valencia,Venice and Vienna)...The Valencia and Venice have the SPU-Gen Midrange.
My Vienna(VTF 2,30g) is my personal Favorit,it has more Resolution,Dynamic and Holographic as the Others.

Zyx Rs 30 Shibata(retip)(VTF1,85g) sounds natural and holographic,when the Armweigt under< 17gr. its lost the Magic Touch.

Audio Technica ART1 (VTF 1,56g)is a Resolution Machine for me a little Bit to lean sound and technical not my Way to listen Music.

Sorry,Pics at my Profile need to resized ,mea culpa:(

Best Regards to All,
Stephan

Hello Stephan and welcome to WBF!

My pics are roughly the size you posted and to reduce them I open them with MS Paint and then reduce them to 25%. Hope that helps.

Hello Johnny,

Thanx for Welcome and Tip;)

Best Regards
Stephan

P.S Please help the Last Pic must be deleted,where?

Hello Johnny,

Thanx for Welcome and Tip;)

Best Regards
Stephan

P.S Please help the Last Pic must be deleted,where?

You're welcome Stephan!

Just click the EDIT POST button of your post and remove the attachment.

Hello Johnny,

i have found this,Thanx

Stephan

I just installed my Koetsu Coralstone on a new Graham 12" Supreme running on the AF1. I'm hearing some serious magic out of this kit.

Congratulations. That's a great looking table. Christian, could you describe the arm board in the rear? It looks similar to the cantilevered ones from old Micro Seiki tables or even the current TW Acoustics ones. How is it attached, and what is it made of? Do you think there is any sonic difference between it and the embedded one in the main location?

It looks like you have removed the name plate and motor cover. Is this for aesthetic reasons, convenience/access or does it sound better without them?

Congratulations. That's a great looking table. Christian, could you describe the arm board in the rear? It looks similar to the cantilevered ones from old Micro Seiki tables or even the current TW Acoustics ones. How is it attached, and what is it made of? Do you think there is any sonic difference between it and the embedded one in the main location?

It looks like you have removed the name plate and motor cover. Is this for aesthetic reasons, convenience/access or does it sound better without them?

The arm bd is not cantilevered in the sense that it swivels on a pivot point. It is in a fixed position secured by 4 bolts screwed into the main 7075 Duralumina plinth. The name plate was just off as I needed to add air to one of the feet to level it as the tonearm has some weight to it. The arm is about 3/4" thick...the metal metal part and it has a custom duralin top sandwiched to it. Until I get the arm for the main slot, I have no opinion which is better. I would guess the main slot in theory should be better than the rear armboard.

First post

Actually it's my third post ...

I'm a long-time vinyl addict. My first serious table was the 1970 top model Dual with a Shure M-91. In 1975 I bought a new Empire Troubador 598 III which I still have. That table worked great for me all those years and never let me down, playing records on a daily basis (except for the holidays of course).

I'm on my third belt now and replaced the motor grommets some years back, the rest is still spot-on, apparently undestructable. No wonder Empire went bust - their products are too durable so in the long run they didn't sell enough. Plus all the hype about Japanese and European products, a sad story :(

I got that table in a German PX with a little help from my friends, nice GIs we knew and partied with a lot. Those were the golden hippie times ;)

The salesman at the PX laughed at me because I wanted an American product - as a German I could get Dual and Thorens among others. The GIs also preferred European and Japanese tables. But I was right after all :)

The carts I used with the Troubador were the Empire ZE/X, then the 4000 DIII. Later the Elac HSP Jubilee, a Goldring 1042, then two DV 17D2 Mk II, both failed after a while (arm too heavy?). But I was hooked on Dynavector so I got a pristine Karat 23RS vdHul modified, then upgraded to the XX-2 Mk II which I loved. But I accidentally destroyed it and went back to my vdHul Karat wich I found almost as good.

After another two years the Karat started to distort. I was desperate as I don't have the funds to buy a decent replacement. So I dug up my original Empire 4000 DIII and - lo and behold - what a find!

I enjoy better dynamics and more spatial info, the Empire actually beat my DVs in every aspect of reproduction, it sounds absolutely "right" and natural, musical. I'm very happy with that cart and very surprised that I missed its qualities before. It could be that the phono inputs on my integrated amps were not really up to it but my Sansui AU-919 was actually quite good, one of the first pure DC amps, 2 x 100 W RMS and frequency response from 0 to 150.000 Hz. Maybe it was the speakers ...

With my Dynavector carts I used the DV P-75 Mk II in "enhanced" (direct) mode. That could not have been a bottleneck. But overall my stereo set is much more refined after almost 40 years so now the 4000 DIII can really shine. I'm very happy that it is still in top condition after all those years in a drawer :cool:

And I still regret that I sold my Elac Jubilee with the sharp vdHul needle. It would be interesting to compare it to the Empire now ...

Best regards, Jörg.

I don't think that there would be a cartridge that everyone is using.

Actually it's my third post ...

I'm a long-time vinyl addict. My first serious table was the 1970 top model Dual with a Shure M-91. In 1975 I bought a new Empire Troubador 598 III which I still have. That table worked great for me all those years and never let me down, playing records on a daily basis (except for the holidays of course).

I'm on my third belt now and replaced the motor grommets some years back, the rest is still spot-on, apparently undestructable. No wonder Empire went bust - their products are too durable so in the long run they didn't sell enough. Plus all the hype about Japanese and European products, a sad story :(

I got that table in a German PX with a little help from my friends, nice GIs we knew and partied with a lot. Those were the golden hippie times ;)

The salesman at the PX laughed at me because I wanted an American product - as a German I could get Dual and Thorens among others. The GIs also preferred European and Japanese tables. But I was right after all :)

The carts I used with the Troubador were the Empire ZE/X, then the 4000 DIII. Later the Elac HSP Jubilee, a Goldring 1042, then two DV 17D2 Mk II, both failed after a while (arm too heavy?). But I was hooked on Dynavector so I got a pristine Karat 23RS vdHul modified, then upgraded to the XX-2 Mk II which I loved. But I accidentally destroyed it and went back to my vdHul Karat wich I found almost as good.

After another two years the Karat started to distort. I was desperate as I don't have the funds to buy a decent replacement. So I dug up my original Empire 4000 DIII and - lo and behold - what a find!

I enjoy better dynamics and more spatial info, the Empire actually beat my DVs in every aspect of reproduction, it sounds absolutely "right" and natural, musical. I'm very happy with that cart and very surprised that I missed its qualities before. It could be that the phono inputs on my integrated amps were not really up to it but my Sansui AU-919 was actually quite good, one of the first pure DC amps, 2 x 100 W RMS and frequency response from 0 to 150.000 Hz. Maybe it was the speakers ...

With my Dynavector carts I used the DV P-75 Mk II in "enhanced" (direct) mode. That could not have been a bottleneck. But overall my stereo set is much more refined after almost 40 years so now the 4000 DIII can really shine. I'm very happy that it is still in top condition after all those years in a drawer :cool:

And I still regret that I sold my Elac Jubilee with the sharp vdHul needle. It would be interesting to compare it to the Empire now ...

Best regards, Jörg.
I recently added a Dynavector 20x2L w/a new Dynavector p-75 MKIII huge upgrade for my old Linn.

I recently added a Dynavector 20x2L w/a new Dynavector p-75 MKIII huge upgrade for my old Linn.

I think that's a very good choice. The 20X2L seems to be the little brother of the XX-2 Mk II which is excellent. And I really liked my P-75 with the XX-2 Mk II in the "enhanced" mode. But I chose the "medium" resistance mode, I liked it better than the low even though that would be the "correct" one.

I got more gain and dynamics that way. But as always YMMV.

If I wouldn't have rediscovered the qualities of my ancient Empire cart I would have gone for a new 20X2L myself. Happy listening!

Cheers, Jörg.

Dynavector cartridges are very popular over here in 'the old country'. Nice consistent gains in sound quality as you move up the range. The XX2 mk2 which I use seems to be the cut off before the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

I had the XX2 and liked it a lot,i am currently using a Clearaudio Sigma S Gold and liking it a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 794

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing