What speakers do you use watching Flat screen TV?

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What speakers do you use watching Flat screen TV?

Don't really want to have big speakers everywhere, wondering what everyone is using to augment the TV screen sound?
Soundbars?
Any suggestions?

Ambience Speaker Systems In-Walls and Dali In-Ceilings. In walls and in ceilings are a lot of work though. For something unobtrusive and easy I'd go with little sub sats from the likes of Focal and Gallo.

Amir,
how good are the latest sound bar from HK?
Just curious if one is looking for something more day-to-day casual listening rather than traditional surround.
Cheers
Orb

I've had excellent luck with the top-end Niles in-walls. They're expensive, but work very well. We had a set in the bedroom of our old house and I was very pleased with their performance. When the living room was under construction I needed some music and drove them using my Rowland 301s and Wadia 861. The results were impressive... to the point that my wife started asking why we couldn't have in-wall speakers in the living room instead of those enormous "things."

In our current house in-walls won't work for the TV location so I'm using a set of Gallo A'Diva with the Gallo sub. I was quite surprised with how well they work given their size.

ls3/5A

I currently have a couple of dedicated home theatre systems set up, i.e., they are not part of the music system. The big system uses old Snells and a pair of large Velodyne woofers (also old). The small system in the 'den' uses a relatively inexpensive 5.1 system that came from Canada, small satellite speakers and a powered subwoofer. (The brand name escapes me right now, but I don't think the entire speaker array cost more than 1500 bucks). Powered by a large basic multichannel amp (a Rotel if memory serves) and some cast-offs from the big system (old Meridian processor). I use this system far more than the big 'theatre' one.

Flez,
you compare it to any other bar speakers such as the newish HK ones?
I do wonder if the new generation have moved away from surround sound "box" speakers concept and more towards quality sound bars.

Cheers
Orb

Flez,
you compare it to any other bar speakers such as the newish HK ones?
I do wonder if the new generation have moved away from surround sound "box" speakers concept and more towards quality sound bars.

Cheers
Orb

I did not compare it with other bar options orb :( - I just liked them at the store and liked them better at my home studio, they play interesting tricks in the surround field.

I did not compare it with other bar options orb :( - I just liked them at the store and liked them better at my home studio, they play interesting tricks in the surround field.

One for me to consider for general tv watching, along with I think Samsung is meant to have a reasonable one, Samsung I know :)

Cheers
Orb

This may not be "the Best" out there but I have heard the Polk Audio's flagship surroundbar at Polk HQ's and also here at the house and I must say that it sounded rather good. Not really being an HT type of guy, I' normally not in the market for these type of things but with that said, I was pleasantly surprised. You may want to add this to your list of things to audition.

Tom

Thanks Tom,
Yeah read good things about the Polk one and followed their forums for awhile.
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing