What speakers would you look at in the $12-14K range?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Considering upgrading my speakers although I'm enjoying the 1.7s which I plan on keeping.

What would you recommend for a listen?

I will soon hear the Wilson Sabrinas and I like the Harbeth 40.2s. Obviously a fan of the Magnepan 20.7s but I would need a new amp for those.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Considering upgrading my speakers although I'm enjoying the 1.7s which I plan on keeping.

I will soon hear the Wilson Sabrinas and I like the Harbeth 40.2s. Obviously a fan of the Magnepan 20.7s but I would need a new amp for those.

The 40.2 would be near the top of my list. I would humbly suggest the Bryston Model T Signature, The Joseph Audio top two models, and maybe even the new Magico S1 MK II. Happy Hunting Lee!

This is a great start. Thank you. Any others want to weigh in?

One of the best measuring speakers available.... a used pair of Revel Ultima Salon 2's. About $9 - $12k

Oh yeah, the Salon 2s. Those sound great.

Hahahaha.. yes vivids are either love em or hate em in the looks department. make amazing conversation pieces tho..

My vote:
The 20.7 and powerful tube amp. Properly set up in the right room, that is the only time in over 40 years in audio that a pair of speakers sounded EXACTLY like a live piano.

+1

New or Used?

If the room can accommodate them ... Magnepan MG 20.7. This may however need more power as suggested by Audioguy. A much better system IMO would be to go with the 3.7i and a pair of Seaton subwoofer with Dirac on mini DSP .. or much better four SVS sealed subwoofer with a miniDSP/Dirac working only in the bass. It will take a longer time to tune this system but the results would be outerwordly.

If you like the 1.7s, pick up the used Analysis Audio Omega on sale (Audiogon or Audiomart) for 8k or so, much better than the Maggie's. I prefer it to all boxes. If you do a search on this forum you will find a lot of reading on it. They are ribbon Magnetostats of a much higher standard. Their retail is 30k, but the used price is much less.

I have heard various vivids upto giya g1, MBL 101, Wilsons, etc but would easily recommend this over those, especially for someone whose ears have already appreciated a planar like the 1.7. I haven't heard the 20.7. Just one thing, this is more of a speaker for classical music and vocals. If you additionally like Rock, try restored Apogee Duetta Sigs.

I agree with audioguy and Bonzo75. A big tube amp driving the 20.7 or one of the larger Analysis Audio speakers certainly is worthy of evaluation. (I prefer the pedigree of Magnepan but I prefer the sound of Analysis Audio.)

Lee- I would agree that 20.7s on a VT-100 won't work.

I'd find an audition for the Devore Fidelity Gibbon X as its tube friendly - Audio Physic is another. Wilson Sabrina should work well and some say is the best Wilson due to its simplicity (I've only heard Sashas and Alexias). Magico and YG won't work without a heftier amp I'd imagine. I'm a resounding "no" on Vivid looks, but they appeal to some. Revels are a very "mature" design by now, so that would take them off my list.

Like you, I've researched the 10-15k arena and its tough - stuff has gotten really pricey in recent years. That is why I haven't sold my Zu Definition IVs - they still provide the best bang for the buck I've heard.

I'm not that familiar with your amp, but 100W should be enough to drive YG Carmels. Last I looked, there was a used pair up on Audiogon. They're not going to be cutting edge, but they'll be cheaper than your budget, and will sound fantastic.

Audio Physic is getting back in the US, but they might be too "warm" ? Don't know how your VT-100 will sound with them...

The DeVore line is great, and will likely be the best match of all those, if not the absolute best in transparency...

cheers,
alex

I'm not that familiar with your amp, but 100W should be enough to drive YG Carmels. Last I looked, there was a used pair up on Audiogon. They're not going to be cutting edge, but they'll be cheaper than your budget, and will sound fantastic.

Audio Physic is getting back in the US, but they might be too "warm" ? Don't know how your VT-100 will sound with them...

The DeVore line is great, and will likely be the best match of all those, if not the absolute best in transparency...

cheers,
alex

I can vouch for the Carmels (2). Excellent speaker. Alex treated me to a delightful listening session with them.

I recently heard the Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT and was pretty impressed. And considering I wasn't really a fan of Vandersteen's previously, I was surprised that i came away with such a positive impression. I guess I do have the ability to listen without too much bias.

They are right at the upper limit of your price point, but worth a listen.

You would have no problems driving them with your amp, as they include self amplified, dual 8" subs per speaker.

There is a dealer in Atlanta that has a pair on display. So, you it doesn't seem you would have any problems auditioning them. Oh, and they also carry Maggies, so you could even compare.

Bryston are often demo'ed with Magnepan (and are relatively inexpensive); not tubes to be sure, but I would expect it is otherwise a good match.

I would think the NOLA KO MkII should be on your short list, especially given their known synergy with tube amps. Again, cheaper than your price range.

My speakers may be available at a substantial discount ordered direct from the factory (I got about 30% off and I'm not even a reviewer); again, known synergy with tubes.

If you are not bothered by thier self proclaimed characteristics. Sanderssoundsystems

I can vouch for the Carmels (2). Excellent speaker. Alex treated me to a delightful listening session with them.

Yes, and coincidently, I had 100W tube monoblocs driving them!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing