What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes I used Auralex.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Exlibris, my Zu Definitions also use down firing subs.

My advice would be to investigate the Zu Druids, current model V and new impvd successor VI.

Check out the new review from Sjraen on 6 Moons, his words on Zu in 2008 turned me on to the brand.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Score another one for Avantgarde XDs. You can control the bass response very precisely, with their software.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Yesterday I heard two systems featuring speakers that have been discussed in this thread. I wasn't familiar with the electronics in these systems and I had never been in these rooms before so I can't pretend that what I heard was solely down to the speakers themselves. The speakers in system 1 were the Tune Audio Marvel and in system 2, the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD. I wouldn't change my modest AN-Es for either, based solely on what I heard yesterday. Then again, I would never expect anyone to buy AN-Es based on what I've heard them sound like at some retailers and at some shows. Of the two of them I think I might be able to work with the Marvel to get them to sound pretty good in my system. I that room they managed to throw a nice "sound field" beyond the speaker plane and indeed the listening position. On certain, non-complex passages, they managed to place fairly convincing images in that sound field in a pretty relaxed and "just there; no big deal" kind of way. The presence of the sax in the sound field on "Us and Them" by Pink Floyd was the best I've ever heard it (even though the timbre of the sax in many other systems is much better).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, I already said I wouldn't go near the tune audio Marvel or the duo. Both the tune audio Anima and the trios with bass horns are much different and better than the smaller ones. That is the same with horns universum. Though the smaller brethren of universum is actually similar to AN E (Corner big bookshelf type box), cheaper and better. Yes I have heard the AN E with the external crossovers and other AN E as well

horns have to be big. When these companies make these smaller toy boxes for those who desire the big horns but cannot afford them, they end up making a joke. Horns are not like panels or cones... They don't scale down well, and these smaller models sound very different from their bigger ones, unlike with panels or cones where sound is relatively more similar with the next model up or down. Unfortunately you had a bad demo buy good judgement, I hope you don't let that affect demoing the bigger ones if you can afford them.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I'd like to hear the Animas and Universum one day but I don't think Avantgarde is for me. I had an extensive demo of the Trios in 2005 and now this one and the sound isn't for me. I too (based on my very limited experience) much prefer the Trios over the Duos. I can't afford the new Trios in any case.
I'm wondering what non-horn, non-full-range-driver, high-efficiency speakers are out there other than the usual suspects of Devore, and Zu. I've never liked Devore at shows but am excited to try Zu.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'd like to hear the Animas and Universum one day but I don't think Avantgarde is for me. I had an extensive demo of the Trios in 2005 and now this one and the sound isn't for me. I too (based on my very limited experience) much prefer the Trios over the Duos. I can't afford the new Trios in any case.
I'm wondering what non-horn, non-full-range-driver, high-efficiency speakers are out there other than the usual suspects of Devore, and Zu. I've never liked Devore at shows but am excited to try Zu.

You are Marc's wet dream.

People spend a life time on these forums searching for their dream speaker, but Marc was always searching for his dream poster, and that's you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you didn't like the trios was it the tone?

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The Trios back in 2005? Something about the presentation, perhaps some colouration or pressurization, gave me a headache after a while. While they were perfect on some material they were much too aggressive on other material. As with the systems I heard yesterday, I couldn't listen to more than a few songs before feeling worn out and needing to take a break.

I don't know what the comment about Marc's wet dream is all about but it seems out of line.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That was a joke. Marc (spiritofmusic) owns Zus and loves to talk about them. He is the forum's last man standing on those speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Unfortunately Ked is too worn out by travelling to hear gear, that he hasn’t got the energy for a wet dream. Poor fellow.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Exlibris, Zu are absolutely worth checking out. But I would do this in someone’s home, not at a show.

The Druids, both V and newly introduced VI, are good to 35-45 Hz depending on room, Sjraen’s recent review of the VI on 6Moons looks v promising.

For absolute full range response to 30Hz and below, my Definitions 4 are the real deal, and truly perform.

Happy to help negotiate the Zu message by PM.

If you’re ever in the U.K., I’m v happy to accommodate a visit here, I’m confident I’ve wrangled a truly exemplary sound from them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Exlibris, you might also check out Voxativ. Also, Reference 3A is local to you in Canada and makes higher efficiency stuff.

fwiw, I prefer my Devore Gibbon Xs to the Zu Def IV (which is now a 7-8 year old speaker). The new Zu Druid VI would be a more interesting compare and Sean has made big strides in cabinet design. Funny enough, I don't like Devore's Orangutan line.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, Sean of Zu has made massive strides twds marrying Zu USP of tone density and shove with more typical hifi attributes of transparency, texture, air and microdynamics, in the new Druid VI - that’s why I’m pointing Exlibris to listen to them.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andromeda, don’t worry, the Zus are far too good for a wannabe audiophile like Ked. Too much of an aspirational product for him.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Exlibris, I’ve heard a fair few (augmented) full range/high sensitivity speakers incl AN, Rethm, and of course Zu.

I’m sold on the concept, but it is a particular view on the music ie tonal truth and being in the moment versus more uber transparency and air.

However I’ve started to crack even these attributes by careful attention to room and placement.

My Zus are now not lacking in anything major tbh.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Andromeda, don’t worry, the Zus are far too good for a wannabe audiophile like Ked. Too much of an aspirational product for him.

I just think the forum can handle only one Marc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing