Whither MQA

I can’t really comment on Peter McGrath’s recordings as I haven’t heard them.
I have, at an AXPONA demo. I was practically tossed out of the room when I told Peter I thought the non-MQA version was better to my ears. King’s new clothes, as far as I was concerned.

• Haha
Reactions: tima
Yes, MQA is the Walk of Shame for many audio reviewers.

I still think Robert Harley is generally a good reviewer, but with MQA he has lots of egg on his face. So do John Atkinson, Peter McGrath and others.
This is not an intelligent reply. All three of these folks are superbly talented folks with excellent critical listening skills. They found value in the sound quality of MQA. Just because it may have failed (we don't know this yet) as a business does not mean it doesn't add value sonically.

Reactions: KeithR and AudioHR
I have both Qobuz and Tidal. Tidal has a lot of MQA and you can easily play the same music on one service and the other and hear the differences. I agree pick what you like the rest in my mind doesn't matter either.
I use both services. Sometimes the best mastering is on Qobuz, sometimes it is on Tidal. Sometimes one of my gold CDs sounds better.

Reactions: rdg and bryans
This is not an intelligent reply. All three of these folks are superbly talented folks with excellent critical listening skills. They found value in the sound quality of MQA. Just because it may have failed (we don't know this yet) as a business does not mean it doesn't add value sonically.

Lee, the fact that you feel the need to suggest that this is not an intelligent reply is exactly the problem.

You all got scammed.

And yes, I did say that I still consider in general Robert Harley to be a good reviewer. I think that should satisfy you, Lee. It also happens to be the truth, BTW (the truth that this is my genuine opinion, that is).

And the fact that you and others may enjoy the sound of MQA is different from the well-documented fact that MQA was a technical fraud. If interested, you can look up threads at WBF on MQA with links, or simply google MQA.

Reactions: bonzo75
I use both services. Sometimes the best mastering is on Qobuz, sometimes it is on Tidal. Sometimes one of my gold CDs sounds better.
Im definetly a QOBUZ guy and to be honest only use tidal if I can't play it on Qobuz

Lee, the fact that you feel the need to suggest that this is not an intelligent reply is exactly the problem.

You all got scammed.

And yes, I did say that I still consider in general Robert Harley to be a good reviewer. I think that should satisfy you, Lee. It also happens to be the truth, BTW (the truth that this is my genuine opinion, that is).

And the fact that you and others may enjoy the sound of MQA is different from the well-documented fact that MQA was a technical fraud. If interested, you can look up threads at WBF on MQA with links, or simply google MQA.

Nobody got "scammed". John and Robert gave an honest assessment of the sound benefits of the new format.

MQA is not a technical fraud either. Stuart and Craven are among the highest decorated audio innovators out there. The beneficial impact of the apodizing filter is real.

Nobody got "scammed". John and Robert gave an honest assessment of the sound benefits of the new format.

MQA is not a technical fraud either. Stuart and Craven are among the highest decorated audio innovators out there. The beneficial impact of the apodizing filter is real.

Three decades ago Bob Stuart was one of my heroes in digital audio. I used to be the proud owner of a Meridian 208, followed by a Meridian 602/606.

Sad how far he has fallen.

If a business goes in administration, it has failed already! Would you care to explain the advantage of the doubt you seem to be giving by stating 'we don"t know this yet' ?

Lee, in debating circles, what you described in regards to Messrs Stuart and Craven is an appeal to authority fallacy. it is not really a good argument. You love MQA. Others don’t. The fact that you have to repeatedly chime in anytime anyone disagrees with fellow members of the audio press doesn’t help your argument.

Joe,
This tactic, appeal to authority, is one used heavily on WBF and I am sure in every audio circle. Ones financial success or ones success in another profession does not equate to success in everything and every profession. The world has succombed to celebrities endorsing stuff they know nothing about or in many cases products or services they don't use.
Simply stated ones sucess as a Doctor ( for example) does not mean that you are an audio expert or visa versa if one is an audio expert that they can do succesful brain surgery ( even if you stayed in a holiday inn express the night before)

Joe,
This tactic, appeal to authority, is one used heavily on WBF and I am sure in every audio circle. Ones financial success or ones success in another profession does not equate to success in everything and every profession. The world has succombed to celebrities endorsing stuff they know nothing about or in many cases products or services they don't use.
Simply stated ones sucess as a Doctor ( for example) does not mean that you are an audio expert or visa versa if one is an audio expert that they can do succesful brain surgery ( even if you stayed in a holiday inn express the night before)
Ha! And the corollary...Do you know ANYONE who goes to a doctor who says "my doctor sucks?" I do not. It's always, "my doctor is the best"! Sort of makes sense, right? If he/she were a terrible doctor, no patient would continue to go to that doctor. Well, it doesn't seem a stretch to think that's often the case in audio as well. "If I use that piece of gear, it must be great (or I wouldn't use it!?)". Not everyone actually puts in the work to compare gear in their own system in order to make the proper assessment. Sometimes, proclamations are more easily used as proxies for comparative listening.

Ha! And the corollary...Do you know ANYONE who goes to a doctor who says "my doctor sucks?" I do not. It's always, "my doctor is the best"! Sort of makes sense, right? If he/she were a terrible doctor, no patient would continue to go to that doctor. Well, it doesn't seem a stretch to think that's often the case in audio as well. "If I use that piece of gear, it must be great (or I wouldn't use it!?)". Not everyone actually puts in the work to compare gear in their own system in order to make the proper assessment. Sometimes, proclamations are more easily used as proxies for comparative listening.
True but they don't make a doctors appointment to go into their urologist and get a reccomendation for a new phone cable. I don't personally get many calls from my clients on how to cure ED. I am not sure why I do sell a lot of stiff cables. (rim shot)

• Haha
Reactions: Pokey77 and marty
I'd personally be happy to see MQA release the IP on some of their filtering technology like the B-spines etc. I did not prefer MQA because it sounded generally of lower audio quality, but I think the filtering stuff did deliver on the claims and produced a more fluid or analog-like sound. One can hear the effect of the processing on regular PCM with 2Ls Mozart Violin Concertos MQA Remix. That type of technology should be available in ADCs and DACs running regular PCM, not hoarded in a lossy streaming patent.

If a business goes in administration, it has failed already! Would you care to explain the advantage of the doubt you seem to be giving by stating 'we don"t know this yet' ?
No it hasn’t. It just means there is a reorganization going on. It might fail but it may also be that the company is being dressed for sale.

Lee, in debating circles, what you described in regards to Messrs Stuart and Craven is an appeal to authority fallacy. it is not really a good argument. You love MQA. Others don’t. The fact that you have to repeatedly chime in anytime anyone disagrees with fellow members of the audio press doesn’t help your argument.

Check my context as it was a response to Moronix who claimed there was technical fraud. Peter Craven and Bob Stuart deserve the benefit of the doubt given their accomplishments and Moronix should have to present hard evidence that fraud was committed. That’s a serious allegation.

I chime in to defend the audio press here because I can share insights that present the other side of the argument.

Reactions: tima
Check my context as it was a response to Moronix who claimed there was technical fraud. Peter Craven and Bob Stuart deserve the benefit of the doubt given their accomplishments and Moronix should have to present hard evidence that fraud was committed. That’s a serious allegation.

I chime in to defend the audio press here because I can share insights that present the other side of the argument.

That's funny. Am I Moronix now? LOL. Makes my day.

I said you can look up that MQA is a technical fraud. It's all out there, well documented. But of course, you can keep putting on blinders.

I said you can look up that MQA is a technical fraud. It's all out there, well documented. But of course, you can keep putting on blinders.
I haven't seen established clearly that MQA technology is fraudulent, but if they call anything "Master Quality" after it has undergone audible processing post-master, then that is obviously fraudulent. The reality is that MQA is absolutely not a perfect reproduction of the digital master.

Lee, when it comes to your appeal to authority argument, the old expression a broken clock is right twice a day comes to mind.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing