Wilson Audio Submerge Subwoofer

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
So? As with almost everything in this subjective hobby each view has its adherents and proponents.
“So”? So Wilson should have made this an option. I don’t understand why you seem to be arguing against this. I happen to agree with PS Audio and REL (as do you), that high level inputs are better when integrating a sub with existing speakers.
For a $30K+ sub it’s unacceptable. It’s long been known that Wilson rebadages subs in their lower end line, and I suspect this is a rebadged plate amp and driver as well. They should at least rebadge an amp with high level inputs, or add their own, which is dirt cheap and simple (add ~100K resistors and connect to low level inputs).
Look- I own Wilson speakers so I do like the brand, but I’m going to call them out on a bad product when I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
  • Love
Reactions: itay123 and Johan K

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Vision from the media player to the projector.
Audio from the media player to the EVO-707.
Simple…

What player do you have?

at the time, I was thinking about the Krell HDMI 4K HDR Switcher
Have you tried it?

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
For plenty of people running a full range analog signal through DSP is totally anathema. I vote for not relitigating the whole DSP thing.
I agree. That's why I wrote 'for digital' sources ;). I also don't like converting an analog signal to digital; but if it's already digital, why not?

Even with DIGITAL I wasn't too impressed when I listened to 2CH.
When I had Trinnov alt16 at the time,
but I had a completely different setup,
I'd love to try again.

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
“So”? So Wilson should have made this an option. I don’t understand why you seem to be arguing against this. I happen to agree with PS Audio and REL (as do you), that high level inputs are better when integrating a sub with existing speakers.
For a $30K+ sub it’s unacceptable. It’s long been known that Wilson rebadages subs in their lower end line, and I suspect this is a rebadged plate amp and driver as well. They should at least rebadge an amp with high level inputs, or add their own, which is dirt cheap and simple (add ~100K resistors and connect to low level inputs).
Look- I own Wilson speakers so I do like the brand, but I’m going to call them out on a bad product when I see it.

Conspiracy theory: The idea of recommending high level outputs is due to the fact that REL at least originally had many customers with systems where this was the only option. The follow-up recommendation (for the same reason) is to not high pass the speakers and just use the sub to complement the very lowest octave while the speakers still played full-range.

In reality, and with more modern systems, the clearly superior route is to connect the subwoofer(s) with XLR or RCA, and also high pass the speakers. This way you can improve the dynamics of the speakers and utilize the subwoofers to enable a more even bass response in a wider frequency range (at least up to 80-100hz).

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
In reality, and with more modern systems, the clearly superior route is to connect the subwoofer(s) with XLR or RCA, and also high pass the speakers. This way you can improve the dynamics of the speakers and utilize the subwoofers to enable a more even bass response in a wider frequency range (at least up to 80-100hz).
How do you mean use both high and low level? Won’t that send the same signal x2?

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
How do you mean use both high and low level? Won’t that send the same signal x2?

Sorry for being unclear. With "high pass the speaker" I mean to have a crossover that roll off the mains at for instance 80hz, allowing the subwoofers to play up to that frequency. As opposed to subwoofers only covering the lowest octave (to avoid overlap with the mains).

So only low level outputs, and do not send full range to the speakers. Bass to the subs, the rest to the speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing