World Cup predictions anyone?

Germany goes through with an unimpressive win over Algeria in extra time.

This means they meet FRANCE in the next game on Friday July 4th.

So far every Group Stage Winner has advanced. Will ARG and BEL do likewise today? I'm no so sure.

Germany goes through with an unimpressive win over Algeria in extra time.

This means they meet FRANCE in the next game on Friday July 4th.

So far every Group Stage Winner has advanced. Will ARG and BEL do likewise today? I'm no so sure.

Both games were excellent yesterday. Germany didn't play up to their full potential (too many wrong passes), but they WERE impressive. See how many goal opportunities they had (and missed) during the first 90 minutes, it's incredible. Of course, Algeria was also impressive, with a very strong counter-attack. If only they had a little more skill in their players, they would've won this one.

alexandre

Both games were excellent yesterday. Germany didn't play up to their full potential (too many wrong passes), but they WERE impressive. See how many goal opportunities they had (and missed) during the first 90 minutes, it's incredible. Of course, Algeria was also impressive, with a very strong counter-attack. If only they had a little more skill in their players, they would've won this one.

alexandre

I kind of read that as a contradiction, but I understand what you're saying. Germany couldn't finish despite their best efforts, which left me unimpressed for a team of that quality. I'm in complete agreement with you about Algeria. They showed a lot of heart and have an excellent work-ethic. I hope their program continues to grow as we need more diversity in World Football.

If Germany does not change their game plan they won't go through france. Let's hope today Argentina fails and USA beats Belgium (although this game is unimportant)

If Germany does not change their game plan they won't go through france. Let's hope today Argentina fails and USA beats Belgium (although this game is unimportant)

Reason?

Because either one will likely lose the next game against (presumably) Argentina?

I kind of read that as a contradiction, but I understand what you're saying. Germany couldn't finish despite their best efforts, which left me unimpressed for a team of that quality. I'm in complete agreement with you about Algeria. They showed a lot of heart and have an excellent work-ethic. I hope their program continues to grow as we need more diversity in World Football.

It's not a contradiction, as Germany at their best would be even MORE impressive :) That is, they would actually score half of those 10 or so opportunities they had during the game, and the score would be more elastic!

Unfortunately for Algeria, it seems their coach is leaving after the WC. Apparently he was responsible for the team's new blood.

alexandre

Here a little boost for USA fans.......

IMO, USA has been outplayed for the last two games. Both Germany and Belgium dominated the ball. Great showing though. The low scoring nature coupled with 90+ minutes of soccer is a detriment to wide USA acceptance/following, IMHO. The NFL is safe. ;)

They gave it their best shot, but were outclassed. The future for U.S. soccer looks good though and I think their status on the world stage will grow. No need to bow your heads boys...you can be proud.

They gave it their best shot, but were outclassed. The future for U.S. soccer looks good though and I think their status on the world stage will grow. No need to bow your heads boys...you can be proud.

If they played in ordinary time the way they played in the last 10 minutes of extra time, they could have won it. Very impressed.

IMO, USA has been outplayed for the last two games. Both Germany and Belgium dominated the ball. Great showing though. The low scoring nature coupled with 90+ minutes of soccer is a detriment to wide USA acceptance/following, IMHO. The NFL is safe. ;)

For the time being it is safe ;)

Yes, outplayed as they were expected to. But that doesn't make their performance any less impressive! I think this was another solid step towards making the USA another contender in the football field.

Hopefully sometime soon the american public will stop equating a good, quality game, with lots of "scoring". Same as the rest of the world may, someday, stop equating american "football" with all the incredibly annoying breaks and intermissions :)

Just for the record, Tim Howard saved an incredible 16 shots at his goal, for a total of 30-something attempts by the Belgians.

alexandre

If they played in ordinary time the way they played in the last 10 minutes of extra time, they could have won it. Very impressed.
If Wondolowski had scored from his chance near the end of regulation the USA would have won! Disappointing especially because scoring from a chance like that was exactly why Klinsmann put him in...

Hi

TO me the greatest weakness of this particular American team was the lack of individual talent. Their collective play is very good , sometimes excellent .. They don't have however a player capable of breaking out. Not asking for a Messi but someone the other team has to be weary of.. Winning teams have such , sometimes more... You won't leave a Messi alone too long or a Neymar or Ozil or Pogba ... A real talent would have been the difference IMO.

Indeed. Most of the teams that went through did so on the strenght of a "star" player.
And that's not only the US' fault. If Switzerland had more skilled strikers, they would've won yesterday. Perhaps the same for Algeria, who had very clear chances against Germany as well, but lacked finishing quality.

Hi

TO me the greatest weakness of this particular American team was the lack of individual talent. Their collective play is very good , sometimes excellent .. They don't have however a player capable of breaking out. Not asking for a Messi but someone the other team has to be weary of.. Winning teams have such , sometimes more... You won't leave a Messi alone too long or a Neymar or Ozil or Pogba ... A real talent would have been the difference IMO.

True. As for Ozil, it isn't just me that thinks that he looks like Peter Lorre...

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/lorre-ozil.jpg

Attachments

• lorre-ozil.jpg
    lorre-ozil.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 74
Will Miro Klose surpass Ronaldo this cup? That would be something. Not as sweet as a German championship trophy but still as far as individual records go, this would be HUGE.

Will Miro Klose surpass Ronaldo this cup? That would be something. Not as sweet as a German championship trophy but still as far as individual records go, this would be HUGE.

There are potentially 3 games left if Germany makes it to the Final, and if he gets some playing time I think he can do it. Was never a fan of the overbloated Ronaldo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing