YG Acoustic Speakers

Minatophase3

Aug 20, 2022
Seattle area
I recently had the opportunity to hear a the newer YG Peak Series Talus speakers and was extremely impressed. I have only heard the Thor bookshelf and the Talus which I believe have the same drivers, just one is a bookshelf and one is a floor stander. After hearing them I started to look at YG's other offerings around the same price point and see that a pair of used Carmel 2 speakers can be purchased for less. Having never heard the Carmel 2 speakers I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any experience with both the Carmel 2 and the Peak series?

Are the Carmel 2's substantially better than the new Peak line? Any insights would be appreciated. My max budget is around $15K so I am not able to consider the Carmel 3''s at this time.

Thanks in advance.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I have owned YG speakers for about five years (Sonja XVi) and heard most of them. If it were my choice, I think I would get the new Talus because they use essentially the same woofer driver as the Carmel 3, which is bigger than the Carmel 2 (185mm vs. 178mm). As you heard, the Talus sound terrific.

Minatophase3

Aug 20, 2022
Seattle area
I have owned YG speakers for about five years (Sonja XVi) and heard most of them. If it were my choice, I think I would get the new Talus because they use essentially the same woofer driver as the Carmel 3, which is bigger than the Carmel 2 (185mm vs. 178mm). As you heard, the Talus sound terrific.
Chuck, thanks for the input! Sounds like I will need to decide between the Talus or Thor as I think they both have the same drivers. The Talus plays 5db lower but I have a Rel S/812 so not too concerned about that. I believe it is 1db more sensitive but I think my Accuphase E-380 would drive either nicely. I do like the looks of both.

I have some Spatial Audio M4 Sapphire speakers with upgraded cross overs and they sound amazing. I was completely happy with them until I heard the YGs :) Of course the YG's are quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks again.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Chuck, thanks for the input! Sounds like I will need to decide between the Talus or Thor as I think they both have the same drivers. The Talus plays 5db lower but I have a Rel S/812 so not too concerned about that. I believe it is 1db more sensitive but I think my Accuphase E-380 would drive either nicely. I do like the looks of both.

I have some Spatial Audio M4 Sapphire speakers with upgraded cross overs and they sound amazing. I was completely happy with them until I heard the YGs :) Of course the YG's are quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks again.
My choice would be the Talus over the Tor. I use 2xRel 32 with my XVi, I think the sub will integrate more seamlessly, better with the Talus.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I bet your system sounds amazing!
It does, I have not yet heard anything as good although have heard many great systems. I think the woofer in the Talus is the same as the upper-mid drivers in my XV, the XV has six of them. Just listened to Beethoven 9th start to finish, Ferenc Fricsay conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker, 1958, 2023 ADD Japanese CD played on the Playback Designs MPT8/MPD8.

x1992

Jul 9, 2016
Dallas
I have heard the Carmel 2s and other YGs a number of times. Just heard the Summit at SWAF. The main issue with the Carmel is the bass. The bass response can be augmented in small rooms with boundary effect, which I do not really enjoy. Otherwise, the bass is quite dry and strikes me a bit tricky and limited. I have never experimented positioning a pair, though. Who knows how sub integration is going to go with your room and subs. It is certainly easier to integrate speakers with more extended LF response.

Other than that the Carmel 2 is better at being a YG speaker than the peak line. Some may like the bit warmer, softer sound of the Peak line than the Reference. Sometimes junior lines (i.e. Sopra vs utopia and O93 vs O96) disappoint me, but imo you can't lose on this one.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My choice would be the Talus over the Tor. I use 2xRel 32 with my XVi, I think the sub will integrate more seamlessly, better with the Talus.
Fascinating, Chuck. Presumably, you drive the RELs in parallel (XVi running full range). If so, where do you bring the REL 32s in? 28hz? 35hz?

What do the RELs bring to your sound? Definitely focusing here on upgrading the Velodyne DD18+ to something...possibly something extreme. So always interested in how others are utilizing great subs. Thanks for any insights.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing