Zero Distortion: Visit to Rhapsody Dallas

Do not want to take too much ‘ space’ in Ked’s thread but in short: I have a Kondo m1000 mk I with built in phonostage available in the Genesis 1.1 system. Still a beautiful sounding piece of equipment. In the LA system I am using a Kondo g-1000 linestage. In order to be able to play vinyl I have to add a top notch phonostage to the LA system and off course I need space for one of my turntables. I play single ended so no possibility to place the turntable far away from the phonostage. That is going to be a challenge. Furthermore the digital (at least the Wadax combo with all the special ‘features’ I have built around it) sounds to my ears really great. So for now I leave my Decca sxl’s and EMI asd’s in storage, but who knows what the future will bring?:)

well you can use the M1000 or if you want to spend get the G10. There are less expensive phonos as well. I think that you have a lot of options for to easily sort out. Main thing is to get the TT out of storage and set it up. The accessories, etc. Surely the the best demo of grounding will be if you can demonstrate to your visitors that grounded digital can sound better than non grounded vinyl playing Decca SXLs etc

Reactions: MRJAZZ
well you can use the M1000 or if you want to spend get the G10. There are less expensive phonos as well. I think that you have a lot of options for to easily sort out. Main thing is to get the TT out of storage and set it up. The accessories, etc. Surely the the best demo of grounding will be if you can demonstrate to your visitors that grounded digital can sound better than non grounded vinyl playing Decca SXLs etc
No shortage of phonostages: I never let go of my Zanden 1200 mk iii and the Lyra Connoisseur 4.2. Setting up one or more turntables is going to be a challenge however. I do not see this happen in the (very) near future. That said I have not forgotten the attractiveness of vinyl replay.

Last edited:
I heard new Gakuoh II (parallel SET), Kagura 2i, Gakuoh, Kegon (300B parallel SET), Ongaku many times. They were all Kondo chain systems from cartridge to speaker cables. I also heard Ginga too.

IMHO NOS tubed Kagura 2i has better tone, control, dynamics than Gakuoh II. They are made to be used with conventional big speakers. Don’t worry they can drive them, especially the Kaguras. On the other hand Ongaku has a better midrange maybe the best amp ever made but only if you can find matching speaker.

G-1000 pre is marginally better than other models. If you’re going to own a single Kondo gear it should be the preamp.

The most important thing with Kondo gear is to provide good electricity without interruption.

Reactions: bonzo75
No shortage of phonostages: I never let go my Zanden 1200 mk iii and the Lyra Connoisseur 4.2. Setting up one or more turntables is going to be a challenge however. I do not see this happen in the (very) near future. That said I have not forgotten the attractiveness of vinyl replay.

oh wow the Lyra, forgot about it

Reactions: mtemur
I heard new Gakuoh II (parallel SET), Kagura 2i, Gakuoh, Kegon (300B parallel SET), Ongaku many times. They were all Kondo chain systems from cartridge to speaker cables. I also heard Ginga too.

IMHO NOS tubed Kagura 2i has better tone, control, dynamics than Gakuoh II. They are made to be used with conventional big speakers. Don’t worry they can drive them, especially the Kaguras. On the other hand Ongaku has a better midrange maybe the best amp ever made but only if you can find matching speaker.

G-1000 pre is marginally better than other models. If you’re going to own a single Kondo gear it should be the preamp.

The most important thing with Kondo gear is to provide good electricity without interruption.

well, that kind of gels with my thinking. The preamp is doing the main magic, and I did find more tone, control, and dynamics on the Kagura, but a bit more emotion in the Gakuoh. I do agree using Amperex, United or WE in place of the RCA possibly could have added more emotion as well in the Kagura.

Do you have any listening experiences as regards the Gakuoh mk I, be it the push pull version (30 watts) or se version (20 watts)?

Kagura’s are 50 watts se amps, Gakuoh mk ii are 20 watts se amps (there is no Gakuoh mk ii push pull version). So no surprise that the Kagura’s are (much) better than the Gakuohs mk ii as regards dynamics.

The 20 watts Gakuohs mk I se version could not (fully) control my Tidal La Assoluta loudspeakers, notwithstanding the fact that the LA’s are (quite) efficient cone loudspeakers with an easy impedance curve (no drops below 4 ohms). The 30 watts Gakuohs mk I push pull version however is a completely different story: much more powerful than the se version and as a consequence much better control over my LA’s.

Reactions: morricab and mtemur
Do you have any listening experiences as regards the Gakuoh mk I, be it the push pull version (30 watts) or se version (20 watts)?
SET version

Kagura’s are 50 watts se amps, Gakuoh mk ii are 20 watts se amps (there is no Gakuoh mk ii push pull version). So no surprise that the Kagura’s are (much) better than the Gakuohs mk ii as regards dynamics.
Dynamics were the least important difference. Kaguras are better than Gakuoh II on all aspects IMHO.

The 20 watts Gakuohs mk I se version could not (fully) control my Tidal La Assoluta loudspeakers, notwithstanding the fact that the LA’s are (quite) efficient cone loudspeakers with an easy impedance curve (no drops below 4 ohms).
I meant new Gakuoh II can drive many conventional speakers but obviously Kaguras can do better.

SET version

Dynamics were the least important difference. Kaguras are better than Gakuoh II on all aspects IMHO.

I meant new Gakuoh II can drive many conventional speakers but obviously Kaguras can do better.
Kevin Scott of Definitive Audio, the former distributor of Kondo in the UK and who developed his top of the line Living Voice horn loudspeakers with (mainly) the Gakuoh push pull (mk I) amps, had at the time a (slight) preference for the pp version versus the se version. Because of his preference I first bought the pp version and later from him the Gakuoh se (mk I) amps. I played them with WE reissue 300b valves and loved them both but sold in the end the se version because they could not drive my LA’s. Pretty sure that the Gakuoh mk ii will not be a good match with my LA’s as well.

Apparently opinions differ as regards which Kondo se amp - Kagura’s or Gakuohs - is ‘better’ because Ked had a slight preference for the latter. Imho you cannot go wrong with either of them provided they match with the loudspeakers.

Reactions: bonzo75 and mtemur
Pretty sure that the Gakuoh mk ii will not be a good match with my LA’s as well.
The Gakuoh IIs are extremely different than old Gakuohs. They have great driving capability but still may not be adequate for your LAs.

Imho you cannot go wrong with either of them provided they match with the loudspeakers.
I think this sums it all perfectly.

The Gakuoh IIs are extremely different than old Gakuohs. They have great driving capability but still may not be adequate for your LAs.

I think this sums it all perfectly.

How is the M77 in compare to the M1000

Hi
Can you give a link to your channel?

Best regards

Kevin Scott of Definitive Audio, the former distributor of Kondo in the UK and who developed his top of the line Living Voice horn loudspeakers with (mainly) the Gakuoh push pull (mk I) amps, had at the time a (slight) preference for the pp version versus the se version. Because of his preference I first bought the pp version and later from him the Gakuoh se (mk I) amps. I played them with WE reissue 300b valves and loved them both but sold in the end the se version because they could not drive my LA’s. Pretty sure that the Gakuoh mk ii will not be a good match with my LA’s as well.

Apparently opinions differ as regards which Kondo se amp - Kagura’s or Gakuohs - is ‘better’ because Ked had a slight preference for the latter. Imho you cannot go wrong with either of them provided they match with the loudspeakers.
Have only heard Kaguras in a non-optimal setting…however heard the predecessor Gakuon many times and preferred the Gahuoh by a significant margin…but your speaker needs to be sensitive and relatively easy load. I think with a very sensitive speaker (around 100dB) something like the Souga might be the one to go for…I have a good Silvercore 2A3 amp in the house and the sound with this tube is sublime.

Hi
Can you give a link to your channel?

Best regards

if you click on the videos in the above report and open them in YouTube you are on it

Reactions: itay123
Have only heard Kaguras in a non-optimal setting…however heard the predecessor Gakuon many times and preferred the Gahuoh by a significant margin…but your speaker needs to be sensitive and relatively easy load. I think with a very sensitive speaker (around 100dB) something like the Souga might be the one to go for…I have a good Silvercore 2A3 amp in the house and the sound with this tube is sublime.
Kaguras REALLY need NOS 211's and the other tubes as well. Once that is done they are formidable.

I forget which NOS 211's Chris is using but it's either RCA's or GE's. Ked might have mentioned it in his report, sorry if he did, I must have missed it.

Kondo is no longer making the Souga. They are investigating new 2A3 amplification ideas at the moment.

Kaguras REALLY need NOS 211's and the other tubes as well. Once that is done they are formidable.

I forget which NOS 211's Chris is using but it's either RCA's or GE's. Ked might have mentioned it in his report, sorry if he did, I must have missed it.

Kondo is no longer making the Souga. They are investigating new 2A3 amplification ideas at the moment.
This pretty much true of all SET amps.

RCA, I mentioned it, and yes Amperex or United or WE will be better

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing