274B choices?

Its got me thinking of the Sophia EL 34 tube now ! as I have a SEP that uses these.
The blue Sophia EL34 is excellent in Lampi DACs

Reactions: matakana
I have a Sophia pair no longer needed that were used for a relatively short time in a Atlantic 2 TRP about a year ago. Lampi dacs run at about 25% max. I also have a pair of their of KT 88-ST that I used after them which are no longer needed, as I now have a GG2/3. Both pairs are Grade A. Both are excellent, although the 88’s tonally worked a little better in my system at the time for my tastes. I’m in the States. PM if interested.
Correction: Apparently I had already sold the EL 34-ST, although strangely I have no recollection or record of having done so. The KT 88-ST long-life globe pair is definitely available. I preferred them over the 34's in the TRP. They had about 9 months use in a dac that runs tubes at 25% of full nominal power. PM if interested.

Last edited:
Well they sold out quickly yesterday I found on there sight they had a demo pair so I ordered that pair and a pair of 6sl7 as well. I will Try them out and see what I think. I have an upgraded melody h88 with oilers put in it. Really a nice amp it is a kt88 based amp. If you are interested I will let you know what i think.

Regards
Holy moly did this amp take a small step up for man and a huge step for mankind. Wow where do I start more extended highs but not bright. Fuller sound. Musical. Beauty in spades. Detail. Se se of realism. I cannot think of anywhere that did not get better. Had them playing for three hours. The demo ones are likely broke in the other pair will need a bunch more time. I am in awe of this performance. Thank you everyone for your positive feedback on sohpia electric tubes. The 274b tubes were really wonderful and decided on these two pairs. Lol looks Likely I will order a matched quad of kt88s for this amp and save a bit for 16 el 34s for the canary ca160 monoblocks. I think I will try the quad of kt 88s first and get one more positive reinforcement first before I get the big number. Wow thanks again.

Holy moly did this amp take a small step up for man and a huge step for mankind. Wow where do I start more extended highs but not bright. Fuller sound. Musical. Beauty in spades. Detail. Se se of realism. I cannot think of anywhere that did not get better. Had them playing for three hours. The demo ones are likely broke in the other pair will need a bunch more time. I am in awe of this performance. Thank you everyone for your positive feedback on sohpia electric tubes. The 274b tubes were really wonderful and decided on these two pairs. Lol looks Likely I will order a matched quad of kt88s for this amp and save a bit for 16 el 34s for the canary ca160 monoblocks. I think I will try the quad of kt 88s first and get one more positive reinforcement first before I get the big number. Wow thanks again.
I retubed my Manley amps a few months ago with 20 Sophia Aqua EL34st. I had been running NOS Winged C’s from the middle 90’s. It’s almost impossible to audition 20 tubes! Had to go on reviews, recommendations and listening to other amps (problematic). I feel lucky that they are working so well. A lot more air, bass definition and separation of instruments.

Reactions: retired farmer
I find it hard to believe how much I like this amp with these tubes in it. Getting better today as well. Really beautiful and fun to listen to. I think I will make some tube changes in my systems. Will go at it slowly but give it a week and if they stay the same or get better I think I will be ordering more sohpias . Changed the power cord into the amp and it got way better again. Having fun so far

I have the Lampi Pacific DAC. Waiting for my Horizon, which should be arriving soon.

In my Pacific, I have tried both the Takatsuki 274B and the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B. I prefer the sound of the later. A bit more balanced in detail and richness of the mids. A bit more real in the upper reaches and transients, such as the splash of symbols. The veracity of vocals comes through a bit better as well.

In short, another great suggestion from Willgolf. Thanks Friend!

There was a quick old comment I read the other day comparing the Tak 300B to the Elrog. The writer said he preferred the latter for its greater harmonic richness in the midrange. I just received a pair of the Taks, supposedly with about 400 hours, to use in a recently converted GG2/3, along with the Sophia Aqua rspyder mentions. That makes any conclusions premature. With another 60+ hours here they have great clarity, speed, wide sounstage and smoothness, the best I've heard. What I'm waiting for, though, is for some midrange soulfulness to emerge before considering the 274B.

Last edited:
Reactions: retired farmer
If anyone is interested I was on sohpia electric site today and under there specials section they have a small price reduction for some of there tubes for holiday prices. Not every tube but some. The 274b blue bottles are on the short list. About 25 dollars a tube depending on which ones you are looking at. So a little bit.

Regards

Reactions: matakana
On disc number two and Roger Whittakers voice is sounding more robust and powerful. The base is better the recording is not that good but it sounds more listenable. These tubes are looking like a good purchase. Get lucky once in awhile

Reactions: christoph
We quite a bit more time on the blue sohpia kt88s and I am very pleased the the beauty and richness of the tone. It was a good purchase so far. They advertised long life likely will never need another quad where they are at which would be nice very happy with that system at the present.

Reactions: Cellcbern
Based on your recommendation, I’ve got a Brimar coming next week. Will compare it to the Sophia Aqua 274b(which is my top rectifier at the moment), Philips Miniwatt gz34 metal base, RCA 5u4g, RCA 5r4gy, Philips 5r4gy and Linlai 5u4g.
Hi, Did I miss your report on this comparison? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts

Hi, Did I miss your report on this comparison? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts
I would add the vintage Mullard CV593 GZ32 5V4 to any list of rectifiers to try. At half the cost of the blue Sophia 274B and 1/5 the average cost of a good Brimar/GEC/Marconi/MWT U52 5U4G it gives me 90%of what I get from those two in my Modwright PS 9.0 power supply.

I would add the vintage Mullard CV593 GZ32 5V4 to any list of rectifiers to try. At half the cost of the blue Sophia 274B and 1/5 the average cost of a good Brimar/GEC/Marconi/MWT U52 5U4G it gives me 90%of what I get from those two in my Modwright PS 9.0 power supply.

FYI - just saw that there's a new, improved 2nd generation version of Sophia's blue 274B:

I was just typing that. I'd also note that the "Aqua 1" Sophia 274B is often on sale under the Special tab as a demo or with a loose piece of glass.

I can get the Brimar for around $50 in the UK, whereas the Sophia costs more than that for tax and shipping alone for me!

hha ok deal mark:) and if you do that when i get to london next year i will bring you my 274b to try:)
Did you ever get to try Marks Brimar cv1863? Interested how it compares to the Sophia Electric 274b (Aqua or mesh)

Last edited:
Did you ever get to try Marks Brimar cv1863? Interested how it compares to the Sophia Electric 274b (Aqua or mesh)
It was actually the WE274B which @plasmod3 was going to bring whilst on holiday however that didn't happen, though I believe Ian has tried a brimar cv1863. In a Lampi dac (not sure what you use) it is very good however there are better-sounding options from WW2 era 4 volt rectifiers for not much money. For me, the earliest globe-shaped mesh plates are best but Tungsram pv200/600 / valvo g2004 / soviet vo-188 are all excellent solid plate options.

Reactions: Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing