LampizatOr Introduces Native XDMI Functionality-The Next Horizon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've been an audiophile for probably more years than I suspect many of the readers of this post are old . Over these years I have been pretty steadfast in my goal which has always been to chase the best sound quality In my system and to my ears. Until 3 years ago I was virtually 100% analogue with a strong listening preference towards vinyl and tape. So what changed?

Here on Whats Best Forum, I have found that we have become a repository of audio information from so many gifted users who have such diversity in their listening habits along with members whom I consider to have some of the best audio systems in the galaxy. I have been fortunate to have heard so many of these systems. Here on WBF we have members from all over the world who are active here in reporting changes in their systems, what they consider new and what they consider special. I began following several threads in, of all places, the digital forum and the computer audio forum as I was noticing a very distinct change in the paradigm of what most people around the world were listening to. There seemed to be a plethora of new threads almost daily by members with excellent systems who were anxious to share their thoughts and recommendations. To wit, there seemed to constant threads from members all over the world about a company originating out of Poland with a strange name called LampizatOr pioneered by a man named Lukasz Fikus who was producing DACs that were using tubes. My system is 100% tubes and has been for probably 25 years. I loved that I could change the sound of my system to my liking by experimenting with different tubes, so this man and company caught my attention. Lukas, it seemed was a devout audiophile who loves tubes and loves to make DACs. I was fascinated by the fact that Lukasz seemed to be mentioned by reviewers at almost all audio shows around the world. I was also fascinated that he seemed to learn from each iteration of his DACs how to make one even better. I also found myself smiling when so many of his devout users aptly coined him "Master Yoda" as indeed, when he spoke, words of wisdom always flowed.

I followed these threads for well over a year and it seemed time for a change to my mediocre and outdated digital part of my system and I bought in with the purchase of a LampizatOr Pacific and from the get go I was gobsmacked. I was hooked as I found myself able to listen to all hires formats as well as DSD512 . One year later I found that Lukasz mind is always working as there were no flies on him and suddenly I heard that he was presently designing is next DAC called the Horizon. I remained reticent as I kept asking myself, "how could he make something better than the Pacific?" I found that a tough thing to wrap my head around. I was able to have conversations with Lukasz and Fred Ainsley, his distributor here in the USA. I was informed of how he was designing a DAC that had so many possibilities that not only virtually any tube could be rolled into the DAC (as there were signal tubes, power tubes and a rectifier) It was said that in the use with this DAC there was no such thing as a bad tube because there would be so many permutations and consultations. I wa fascinated and took the bait. I remember receiving mine and the tubes with which I started . It was a new playground and I felt this was something so special that I invited Lukasz to take a trip across the pond as well as Fred to spend a long weekend at my house and invite any and all members here at WBF to come and have a listen. That was a very special time as I got to spend lengthy discussions with Lukasz about him and his design goals as well as Fred who has championed the line here in the USA. That was Feb 2022 . A lot has transpired since.

For those whoo want to have a look, the thread I started about this new DAC called the Horizon has sprouted wings as it has become one of the most read threads here on WBF with well over 400,000 views

I was loving the fact that I could listen "native" to all formats. There was no upsampling etc, only listening Native, as that was always an agenda item of mine. So much discussion ensued about what tubes to use that a secondary thread has ene=merged as it too has sprouted wings as there are alway new users, with different suggestions. This thread has proved to be so informational that I think just about every user has posted their thoughts and recommendations. It continues to change constantly

Concomitantly with all of this, I discovered streaming , something which I heretofore had never considered. as I always felt that playing the real thing was paramount in achieving the best sound quality. There seemed to be another buzz going on in the Computer Audio Forum once again about another recently started company out of Holland called Taiko Audio, by another audiophile who just so happened to have been involved in one of the worlds largest supercomputer at the University there. Then came the famous thread started by member CK Keung in Hong Kong, called Taiko Audio SGM Extreme, La Creme De La Creme. This thread, suffice it to say has become the most read and posted to thread on WBF with well over 3 million views and well over 21000 posts

Once again I was hooked and ordered my Extreme just prior to receiving my Horizon. I was fortunate to meet Emile Bok, owner of TaikoAudio as he too made a trip across the pond to visit several WBF members. Emile spent several days at my home and during that time I again came to learn that he, like Lukas Fikus was an ardent audiophile whose only quest in the hobby was to achieve the best sound quality in the product he manufactures To my simple mind I felt that I was onto something special as these 2 amazing individuals shared the same goal as I ....to produce a product that strives to output the very best sound quality To my mind I felt these two men and their companies were like a marriage made in heaven.

I mention all of this to finally get to why I am posting this thread. Emile also has a brilliant mind that is always thinking how to make things better. Over these past few years the Extreme has lead Emile to so many discoveries, many of which he has brought to market. So many of us are now awaiting the arrival of Emile's latest Server called the Olympus, along with its sidekick called IO. There is so much new in this product that all of us who have ordered are drooling in anticipation . Along the way in Emile's R and D he discovered something new and so unique, that by all reports from those who have heard it have proclaimed, "it isn't digital and it isn't vinyl, yet several who have heard it, have stated (and Im afraid to post this as I haven't heard it yet) that they are no longer listening to their turntables any more. Thats a tough concept for me to wrap my head around. Emile has developed a new interface that he has coined XDMI. This new interface is said to better all of the standard user interfaces, USB, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, Toslink etc.I was again instantly hooked based on all reports I was reading.

So I figured that having my beloved Horizon and awaiting my Olympus and IO I wa going to get to hear XDMI. There was however a hitch, to wit, listening to XDMI at the moment was not native XDMI but rather coming into the Horizon via AES/EBU which did 24/196 max and not DSD. My goal has always been to listen Native to all formats but as good as this promised to be it wasn't Native . What was lacking......was the need for DAC manufacturers to get on board and develop an XDMI adapter for their DAC. As a result many of us die hard LampizatOr users bent the ears of Lukasz and Fred with the hope that an XDMI adapter could be developed for the Horizon that would allow we zealots to listen to Native XDMI.

The audiophile in Lukasz along with his curiosity prompted a trip to Oldenzaal, where Taiko Audio is headquartered. Lukasz came back juiced and energized as he too seemed to be gobsmacked listening to XDMI and his determination took over. I read some of Lukasz posts about XDMI and to him it was the real deal

Suffice it to say that in the space of just a few short months a prototype was developed, evaluated by Emile and found it to be the first solution of all DAC makers that would allow for Native XDMI.

And as the famous Paul Harvey would end his daily commentary with, " and now you know the rest of the story"

Lukasz has figured a way to retrofit existing Horizons with his XDMI adapter and as I understand it all new Horizons ordered going forward will offer the XDMI adapter for an additional charge. Emile has also recently developed the LampizatOr board that will be in his Olympus which completes the handshake for we Lampi lovers to achieve Native XDMI

Being the nut thatI am I just found sending mine back for retrofit and being without my horizon for a lengthy period I went the other route and ordered
"The Next Horizon" , one newly made and fresh off the assembly line . This Next Horizon (as I term it) is the same in every way as my existing Horizon except that Input 6 which used to be i2s is now called "Taiko XDMI". It still has USB so that I can continue to enjoy as before all of my music until my Olympus/ IO arrive

Finally what about the XDMI cable as this has never been produced before. Lukasz is very astute and a quick learner and approached a very reputable Polish cable manufacturer with the task of developing the cable. The length BTW is critical with 1.2 meters being optimum and long lengths shunned as they adversely affect sound quality. So while Lukasz was busy at his end , KBL Audio was doing their due diligence and produced a cable that Lukasz states to be absolutely perfect. Needless to say I ordered one

So today was for me the dawn of The Next Horizon

I include below some photos with the spec sheet as well as some of the cable for interested members as well as those Horizon users who have also ordered the new Olympus and IO

In summary I see this for me to truly be end game although I bet there is more to come out of the brilliant minds of Lukasz and Emile, both of whom have changed the listening habits of this die hard audiophile who swore he would never become a digitophile. Analogue was my preference. I still love listening as it is tough to say at the moment that digital has crossed that impossible line of being as good or better than analogue. Yet again, I cannot discount all of the reports from listeners who have travelled to Oldenzaal to hear XDMI . There has been 100% unanimity in their impressions

So with my life long quest in the hobby to pursue the path of the best SQ, I am stoked with anticipation of soon to be able to hear Native XDMI

I have to conclude with my heartfelt thanks and deepest appreciation to the two men who I feel have opened my ears to this quest

You rock Lukasz Fikus and Emile Bok. The audio world is in good hands with your very presence and I for certain will be eternally indebted to help my path come to where it is now

Last edited:
It finally came! Awesome.

Happy listening brother.....I know you are excited!!!

Tom

I am so, so jealous! Enjoy in full splendor when the Olympus arrives.

Thank you for taking the time to make this fantastic writeup of your history with LampizatOr and Taiko! It was simultaneously enjoyable and informative and we are very glad to have been able to have a positive impact on your listening enjoyment.

Many of you have been asking about the start of the Horizon retrofit program. After discussing with Lukasz, we've decided to commence this service after the Munich show. We chose this timing to minimize any inconvenience and reduce downtime for our customers.

Speaking of the Munich Show, I'm thrilled to announce that we will feature a Taiko Olympus server in the LampizatOr room in the main hall. This setup will include our Horizon DAC running native XDMI. I'm still confirming details with Lukasz, but we expect to showcase alongside other prestigious Polish companies known for their world-class audio equipment. Additionally, we'll have luxurious KBL cables providing the XDMI connections and possibly more.

I'll keep you updated as I learn more.

Best regards,

Fred A.

Thank you for taking the time to make this fantastic writeup of your history with LampizatOr and Taiko! It was simultaneously enjoyable and informative and we are very glad to have been able to have a positive impact on your listening enjoyment.

Many of you have been asking about the start of the Horizon retrofit program. After discussing with Lukasz, we've decided to commence this service after the Munich show. We chose this timing to minimize any inconvenience and reduce downtime for our customers.

Speaking of the Munich Show, I'm thrilled to announce that we will feature a Taiko Olympus server in the LampizatOr room in the main hall. This setup will include our Horizon DAC running native XDMI. I'm still confirming details with Lukasz, but we expect to showcase alongside other prestigious Polish companies known for their world-class audio equipment. Additionally, we'll have luxurious KBL cables providing the XDMI connections and possibly more.

I'll keep you updated as I learn more.

Best regards,

Fred A.
Does this mean that you will be in Munich this year and that I will finally get to meet you in person?

Unfortunately I will not be there in person this year. Hoping next year is my year, but with the addition of another show in Dallas and a planned event at Steven Williams home, I was at my travel threshold.

Those who will be at Munich will be in for a big treat though. The room featuring the LampizatOr playing Native XDMI via the Olympus server at:

1714752179140.png

This room promises to be a show stopper and I highly encourage everyone making it to Munich to stop by and witness the debut of this new protocol in person.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing