Aesthetix Io and unlikely vintage duo shoot-out

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I will have some time this weekend (as it is Canadian Thanksgiving) so I will roll in the Marantz Model 1 Consolettes and pit them against the Io. Should be fun as I just finished refurbishing another pair of Quad ESLs and I'll put them through their paces. I love what the Consolettes can do with phono. Now that the Atlas and Koetsu are breaking in it should be more fun.

I had to rebuild the last cores of ESLs I had as they sat there for years- I sold my other pairs earlier this past summer to some folks that just hounded me over the last few years. I'm getting too old and my patience is running thin for rebuilds anymore. Lately I prefer signing a cheque rather than sweating it. I worked on these for a few months off and on.

I run primarily the Beveridge Electrostatics now with Direct Drive amps swinging several Kilovolts to the panels eliminating all output and step up transformers (clean!!!) - but-I have a soft spot for what the Quads do well. I'll try the Bedini with them as well .. this is one sweet amp that pairs nicely with the ESLs.

The Bedini proved to be 1 royal PITA as years of searing heat in its Class A operation caused some numerous intermittent faults that are sorted out now with repeat trips to my bench.

Go Blue Jays!!

Attachments

• io and Consolette.JPG
    io and Consolette.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I'm super interested and look forward to reading the results of your activity this weekend.

Nice room !!

Nice room !!

Thanks - modest in relation to many here- but it is purpose built and dedicated and in the true audiophile sense always a work in progress.

Very interesting
First of all I truly love the Bevs
I also used to have Aesthetix Io phono with volume. Really good phono stage even if it had some tech issues. Had to buy a second while the first needed repair!
Best
Leif

Very interesting
First of all I truly love the Bevs
I also used to have Aesthetix Io phono with volume. Really good phono stage even if it had some tech issues. Had to buy a second while the first needed repair!
Best
Leif
Thanks, Bev's do something special- even after hearing them 30 years ago I still value what they do well. Sorry about your experience with the Io. I have had no problems with mine over the years I have owned it - other than self inflicted NOS tube rolling choices- it is actually remarkably quiet and like the Bev's the Io is really hard to beat in many parameters after all these years.

All the best,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing