Anyone got goose bumps happen in listening good sound ?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Normally goose bumps happen in fear or scare, but it happen to me when I listen to the best recorded mastering tape last night. also friends did too at the first time listening of the tape , does anyone get the same experience in listening of your best sounding music at your first time listening ?
tony ma

Normally goose bumps happen in fear or scare, but it happen to me when I listen to the best recorded mastering tape last night. also friends did too at the first time listening of the tape , does anyone get the same experience in listening of your best sounding music at your first time listening ?
tony ma

Hi Tony,

The trick is to get that every time. That sure is a good sign that everything is set up at optimum level. The master tape is that your own recording?

I think the first time is the best for a breakthrough moment,after that I think it diminishes somewhat,even though nothing has changed.

For me, the best is that i find it difficult to switch tracks when listening to just about any of my albums...the system is very good technically but definitely not perfect...i have heard technically more accomplished systems to be sure...but the system has hit me the way i like to hear MUSIC, so that everytime my "audiophilia" kicks in and i wish to change a track to hear the "ting" on this note...or the "boom" on that track...i have a hard time doing it...and usually in fact DONT!

Strangely...i was forced to take my Gryphon Antileon amp in for repair...and the dealer lent me a Goldmund...very transparent...and i still have trouble switching tracks...not as much, but still pretty dont bother anymore. i just make sure i do NOT put infinite repeat, so at least i have to get up and change the CD 1/hour and get to listen to several albums in a weekend afternoon while working.

Tony, I forgot to ask,you were using your custom tubed Studer A80 I presume,wonderful!

Hi Tony,

The trick is to get that every time. That sure is a good sign that everything is set up at optimum level. The master tape is that your own recording?

I think the first time is the best for a breakthrough moment,after that I think it diminishes somewhat,even though nothing has changed.

Hi Roger
You are right, it happen only the first moment when it been improved, later feel normal again but memory level has been up graded too, will happen again if there can have another improve.
yes our own recording master tape with best players have not play before (better player can make sound better with same instrument) and all the recording equipments have been break in ( tubes and transformers) in the time being that is the reason I guess.
tony ma

Hi Roger
You are right, it happen only the first moment when it been improved, later feel normal again but memory level has been up graded too, will happen again if there can have another improve.
yes our own recording master tape with best players have not play before (better player can make sound better with same instrument) and all the recording equipments have been break in ( tubes and transformers) in the time being that is the reason I guess.
tony ma

Being that the electronics are fairly new,that is a great sign. I think it is not uncommon for the electronics to improve up to 500 hours or more. You have much to look foward to.

For me, the best is that i find it difficult to switch tracks when listening to just about any of my albums...the system is very good technically but definitely not perfect...i have heard technically more accomplished systems to be sure...but the system has hit me the way i like to hear MUSIC, so that everytime my "audiophilia" kicks in and i wish to change a track to hear the "ting" on this note...or the "boom" on that track...i have a hard time doing it...and usually in fact DONT!

Strangely...i was forced to take my Gryphon Antileon amp in for repair...and the dealer lent me a Goldmund...very transparent...and i still have trouble switching tracks...not as much, but still pretty dont bother anymore. i just make sure i do NOT put infinite repeat, so at least i have to get up and change the CD 1/hour and get to listen to several albums in a weekend afternoon while working.
This switching tracks business gets me, if a system is working properly then you should be connecting to the music and you won't ever have the desire to change tracks or albums.

For me, either the system is working and the music is weaving its magic, or the system is playing up in an audible way, which means that I'll hear the defect and be annoyed by that element in the sound no matter what I play. Then, music off and out comes the soldering iron (Tim likes to hear that ...)

Frank

I guess the question needs to be asked Frank, "what brand solder do you use" as each solder has its own sound

And choice is not as clearcut as some countries and the EU mandate PB free solder and many think it doesn't sound as good.

PB? RHOS pulls the lead out of the solder which is going to cause the premature failure of all things electronc. Lead prevents whiskers from growing which eventually cause shorts to develop. We are undoing the science that we have developed over many years for the eco police.

I guess the question needs to be asked Frank, "what brand solder do you use" as each solder has its own sound
Heh, heh, I was speaking figuratively in the sense that something had altered and often at the moment all that needs to be done is to adjust the alignment of some element of the system, rather than actually changing components. The headache of doing a lot of experimenting is that the everything starts to become rather messy, and fragile in the sense that the optimium positioning and stabilising of things can be easily disturbed. Mike, for example, talks of the need to reset his isolation supports because they can make such a difference if they are not right, and that's usually the sort of issue for me at the moment.

But to talk of solder: I'm not fussed, I just use the standard, everyday, lead/tin stuff. I believe the actual quality of the soldering job, how well it's done is more important, and even though I have not investigated this at all, a very meticulous ensuring that the thickness of solder between the copper, hard metal elements is as thin as possible will benefit the SQ, IMO. I have gotten away with being fairly sloppy and I'm sure I could improve things by taking more care ...

In the overall scheme of things, my experience is that other factors are more important than the soldering. Such as the quality of non-soldered connections: I know you and others have moved away from silver contact greases but my experience is that these are very positive tweaks. Again, the trick is to be very careful and precise in applying these, everything as clean as possible before applying, use only just enough to do the job, make the connection as tight as you possibly can and then do not disturb this connection!

Frank

Heh, heh, I was speaking figuratively in the sense that something had altered and often at the moment all that needs to be done is to adjust the alignment of some element of the system, rather than actually changing components. The headache of doing a lot of experimenting is that the everything starts to become rather messy, and fragile in the sense that the optimium positioning and stabilising of things can be easily disturbed. Mike, for example, talks of the need to reset his isolation supports because they can make such a difference if they are not right, and that's usually the sort of issue for me at the moment.

But to talk of solder: I'm not fussed, I just use the standard, everyday, lead/tin stuff. I believe the actual quality of the soldering job, how well it's done is more important, and even though I have not investigated this at all, a very meticulous ensuring that the thickness of solder between the copper, hard metal elements is as thin as possible will benefit the SQ, IMO. I have gotten away with being fairly sloppy and I'm sure I could improve things by taking more care ...

In the overall scheme of things, my experience is that other factors are more important than the soldering. Such as the quality of non-soldered connections: I know you and others have moved away from silver contact greases but my experience is that these are very positive tweaks. Again, the trick is to be very careful and precise in applying these, everything as clean as possible before applying, use only just enough to do the job, make the connection as tight as you possibly can and then do not disturb this connection!

Frank

I think you should read how John Curl solders and its importance.

PB? RHOS pulls the lead out of the solder which is going to cause the premature failure of all things electronc. Lead prevents whiskers from growing which eventually cause shorts to develop. We are undoing the science that we have developed over many years for the eco police.

Typo. Pb.

Re. Goosebumps: I have had it happen many times over the years, but it rarely "repeats" once I have experienced it the first (or maybe second) time unless it has been long enough that I've forgotten. I think part of the reaction is surprise at the music, the actual content, not just how well a system recreates (reproduces, whatever) it. The surprise factor diminishes quickly... Does not really imply anything about the system, IMO, although one would think a better system would better present the goosebump-making sounds.

Re. Goosebumps: I have had it happen many times over the years, but it rarely "repeats" once I have experienced it the first (or maybe second) time unless it has been long enough that I've forgotten. I think part of the reaction is surprise at the music, the actual content, not just how well a system recreates (reproduces, whatever) it. The surprise factor diminishes quickly... Does not really imply anything about the system, IMO, although one would think a better system would better present the goosebump-making sounds.

Hi Don
Thanks for bring back the post, the tape which I was listening is Beethoven Sonata for Cello & Piano No.2, we didn't make recording at live because the player doesn't like to have mic in front at him in live, so my partner recorded that tape in other time without me and made copy too, first I listened to the copy nothing happen but after switched to the master tape, I got the goose bump because it sound so real to the live concert, maybe not only by the sound quality and also by the music too, but nothing by the copy. in this experience, the best source is the master tape, master dub can't be comparable
tony ma

Happily the guy is not soldering anything mine! There are several basic rules for correct soldering, but the first is that everything should be very clean - the tip of the soldering iron does not seem neither clean nor adequate to the task. The second was that every element should be mechanically stable during soldering - this capacitor seemed to be loosely hanging. The third was to uniformly heat all the elements at the same time and never remove the soldering iron at the same time as the solder - keep the iron tip in position for an extra very short moment before taking it out.

You're right. It never seems to workout like that. You can use flux for the actual cleaning. I suppose god opted against a third hand and gave us a brain to make tools. There is a tool for holding things study when soldering. Most important is preheating the joint. You don't want to watch solder roll off the joint.

Hi Don
Thanks for bring back the post, the tape which I was listening is Beethoven Sonata for Cello & Piano No.2, we didn't make recording at live because the player doesn't like to have mic in front at him in live, so my partner recorded that tape in other time without me and made copy too, first I listened to the copy nothing happen but after switched to the master tape, I got the goose bump because it sound so real to the live concert, maybe not only by the sound quality and also by the music too, but nothing by the copy. in this experience, the best source is the master tape, master dub can't be comparable
tony ma

That is very interesting, Tony, and points to the recording (and playback) sound quality being more important than I said. Now that I think back, I have had a decent (though not great) system during and ever since HS, so maybe I am undervaluing the audio system (and source material).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing