Genesis Prime + (& G7s) @ Pacific Audio Fest June 23 - 25 2023

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I dunno. People think I'm irrelevant? That I don't know enough about my speakers to talk about them?

No, not at all. Photos of your big Prime loudspeaker system is the audio equivalent of looking at the Space Shuttle -- endlessly fascinating.

An announcement of new modest, conventional driver box speakers is just not terribly exciting.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
A good customer of ours heard Genesis new speakers at PAF and was mightily impressed with their sound. Bob Clark, a colleague whose ears I trust ran the vinyl replay in the room and was similarly impressed. Gary's line-array speakers don't get much love in the US, which given their excellence is surprising. I admire Gary and Carol for taking on the challenge of offering a more affordable and smaller footprint line and view it as a positive development for the industry.

Last edited:

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi Carol,

The photos of your room look terrific!

Have you and Gary had an opportunity to compare the sound of the Analog Audio Design tape machine to the sound of your Studer? What are your comparative sonic impressions of each machine?

Thank you!
Hi Ron, Unfortunately, due to a DHL snafu, the AAD machine only arrived the day before the show, and then was shipped back to ProAudio - Brian Tucker - and much time was spent reading the manual and setting it up in time for the show. Most of my time at the show was spent with the small system so I did not get to listen to it much. I'll ask if Gary had the opportunity.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
PS. Carol, I love the bamboo and bamboo/walnut finishes of the new designs. I don't care for the bases as they take away from their clean lines and slim proportions.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it! That's also only the 2nd iteration on the bases. I didn't like the first iteration and I'm not overly fond of these either.

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Congratulations on your show at the Pacific Fest. Looks like the room had a positive and energetic buzz going. System sounds nice on my computer speakers which, of course, is a long way from an 'in-the-room' experience. How does the Wand tonearm compare sonically with the new VPI 12" 3-D tonearm made of newer, stiffer materials? That's the one I now use on my VPI AvengerDirect so I am interested in hearing your comparative comments..

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron, Unfortunately, due to a DHL snafu, the AAD machine only arrived the day before the show, and then was shipped back to ProAudio - Brian Tucker - and much time was spent reading the manual and setting it up in time for the show. Most of my time at the show was spent with the small system so I did not get to listen to it much. I'll ask if Gary had the opportunity.

thank you for letting us know!

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Carol, can you tell us what the speaker model line-up is going to be for Genesis? I own the Maestro speakers. These are a very good sounding, medium-priced and medium-sized speakers that work in a variety of settings. But Gary tells me he is discontinuing it. Sorry news that is. So, it looks like Genesis will now offer an entry-level model and then the big room filling speakers at the top of the line. Even the old Forte speaker is large. With the Maestro gone, there's no apparent middle ground. Just entry level and then very big and expensive models.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Carol, can you tell us what the speaker model line-up is going to be for Genesis? I own the Maestro speakers. These are a very good sounding, medium-priced and medium-sized speakers that work in a variety of settings. But Gary tells me he is discontinuing it. Sorry news that is. So, it looks like Genesis will now offer an entry-level model and then the big room filling speakers at the top of the line. Even the old Forte speaker is large. With the Maestro gone, there's no apparent middle ground. Just entry level and then very big and expensive models.
? Perhaps there was some miscommunication? We are NOT discontinuing the Maestro. We do not have any wood veneer cabinets at this time, but I just got in a shipment of glossy black cabinets and also shipped out a pair of Maestros to a new customer on the East Coast. I was in fact talking to Gary about our planned upgrade cycle just before the July 4th holiday and this model (the 5th in line) is due for an upgrade in about four - five years.
*edit* Incremental upgrades happen all the time. Sometimes when Gary is designing a different model or an upgrade for a different model and discovers a new way to do something / new component that is significantly better - it goes into the builds across the line. But planned upgrades are usually at the 5 / 10 year mark, so maybe he was talking about the upgrade - i.e. the Maestro would be the... Maestroso or something like that. :)

Last edited:

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations on your show at the Pacific Fest. Looks like the room had a positive and energetic buzz going. System sounds nice on my computer speakers which, of course, is a long way from an 'in-the-room' experience. How does the Wand tonearm compare sonically with the new VPI 12" 3-D tonearm made of newer, stiffer materials? That's the one I now use on my VPI AvengerDirect so I am interested in hearing your comparative comments..
Thank you. Before I tell you my thoughts on the sonic differences between the tonearms, you must know where I stand with music and audio gear.

I skip almost all the meetings at my local Audio club that do gear "shoot outs" - I say "almost" because some can be endlessly fascinating - like when Gary got Mat to bring several different models of VPI turntables and we set them up with identical tonearms and cartridges and several copies of the same pressing of records.

That said. I've listened to both of them and like them both very well (of course you must match cartridges too). It really comes down to flavor and personal preference. Do you like vanilla or chocolate better? If you like big bold sound - the new VPI. If you like a lighter, more delicate touch, the Wand. Which is also why Gary likes the option of having two tone arms on his turntables. Playing metal? Oh, let's use the Fat Boy!

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
? Perhaps there was some miscommunication? We are NOT discontinuing the Maestro. We do not have any wood veneer cabinets at this time, but I just got in a shipment of glossy black cabinets and also shipped out a pair of Maestros to a new customer on the East Coast. I was in fact talking to Gary about our planned upgrade cycle just before the July 4th holiday and this model (the 5th in line) is due for an upgrade in about four - five years.
*edit* Incremental upgrades happen all the time. Sometimes when Gary is designing a different model or an upgrade for a different model and discovers a new way to do something / new component that is significantly better - it goes into the builds across the line. But planned upgrades are usually at the 5 / 10 year mark, so maybe he was talking about the upgrade - i.e. the Maestro would be the... Maestroso or something like that. :)
Hi Carol;

I was quoting the man himself, Gary Koh, standing in my listening room, looking at my Maestros, telling me they've been discontinued. "So my Maestro speakers are now collector items?" I asked. "They are indeed collector items," he replied. Anyway, thanks for this update and I am very glad to read that Gary has evidently changed his mind. These are very good speakers and deserve a slot in your line-up.

Reactions: carolkoh

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Carol;

I was quoting the man himself, Gary Koh, standing in my listening room, looking at my Maestros, telling me they've been discontinued. "So my Maestro speakers are now collector items?" I asked. "They are indeed collector items," he replied. Anyway, thanks for this update and I am very glad to read that Gary has evidently changed his mind. These are very good speakers and deserve a slot in your line-up.
How much wine had you fed him? ;);) o_O;);) I must tease him now. Seriously though, the Maestros are one of his greatest achievements in his design career. They are not going away from our line-up.

Reactions: msimanyi

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Most importantly neither has Gary , were these Gen 1 type Prime at the Show ? I havent seen one report on this , no video , no room pics from Genesis , nothing ..!

C’mon Gary lets see something on these big boys ..!

:)

I've been too busy to pay attention to forums and such. I've got 3 entry level designs to finish, and then there's that pesky cartridge.... and designing VPI's new phono stage based on mine.... and then making tapes for sale as some of my customers complained that they can't get the quality of music that I've been using to design with.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Absolute Sound had a two-part video on the Pacific Audio Fest. Two parts, 25 - 30 minutes each. Not a minute of it devoted to Gary's room. What he had to offer certainly looks impressive. Why no interest in Gary's speakers?

They devoted half of their 3rd-day video to the Genesis room. The show was 3 days......

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
My guess is Gary does not play the review game.

I've been asked for my large speakers to review but when I ask for pictures of the room that they will be put in for the review..... that's when I politely decline. I'm sure that Ron knows how much effort it takes to get as large a pair of speakers as the Gryphon Pendragons to sound great.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Carol,

The photos of your room look terrific!

Have you and Gary had an opportunity to compare the sound of the Analog Audio Design tape machine to the sound of your Studer? What are your comparative sonic impressions of each machine?

Thank you!

The AAD had barely any time to break-in, but if the smoothness of the mechanisms is anything to go by, it will exceed many of the vintage gear. What I couldn't wrap my head around was a full-color touch screen on a tape machine.

But from one comparison we did, fresh out of the box, it was as good as the A810. A little lean - but that's because of brand new electronics and solder joints. The low-level signal electronics will take a long time to break-in. As long as it takes a phonostage to break-in. May be 500 hours.

Compared it to Ki Choi's "ultimate" everything taken care of personal machine, it's close and may exceed it if broken in.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Carol;

The Ebony and Rosewood are collector items. I'm never going to make another Maestro in a wood finish because of the phenomenally difficult task of making SIX cabinets match. A flaw in any one of the pieces means that a pair of cabinets gets destroyed and thrown away. And with increased costs through the pandemic, they need to sell at almost 80% more just so that we can make any money at all.

I showed a prototype of the Maestro at CES 2017, and then the final design was launched about 6 months later. So, it's about time for me to start thinking about the Maestroso.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've been asked for my large speakers to review but when I ask for pictures of the room that they will be put in for the review..... that's when I politely decline. I'm sure that Ron knows how much effort it takes to get as large a pair of speakers as the Gryphon Pendragons to sound great.
i would be happy to review them. I am sure the HOA WOULD LEND ME THE COMMUNITY CENTER.:D:D:D:D

• Haha
Reactions: garylkoh

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Maybe it's also because I'm a woman and I post photos of kittens that members think I don't know enough about my own company?

Gary is busy designing so I get to chat on forums.

Besides.... Carol has an MBA in International Marketing. I leave most of the marketing and management stuff to her so that I can focus on design and development and talking to audiophiles.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
A good customer of ours heard Genesis new speakers at PAF and was mightily impressed with their sound. Bob Clark, a colleague whose ears I trust ran the vinyl replay in the room and was similarly impressed. Gary's line-array speakers don't get much love in the US, which given their excellence is surprising. I admire Gary and Carol for taking on the challenge of offering a more affordable and smaller footprint line and view it as a positive development for the industry.

Hi Gary,

Bob did tell me that one of his dealers has already "practically sold a pair". That must have been you?

Since I did so much development of parts for the Prime+, it made sense to bring that technology down to something more affordable. We have to constantly remind ourselves that what is a US audiophile's month's salary is many many more months in many of our markets around the world. And without more affordable speakers which would not need a mansion to house, we are not growing the market. We are all aging, and the market is dying just from old age.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing