Burmester 911 mk3

Hi,

About Gryphon I listened many times the Antileon Signature and Colosseum to my delear showroom. Great amps at all. Just a little too analytical sound for my taste. About the latest Mephisto, my delear said to me that its sound is different from Colosseum and He considers the said amp one of the best ever listened by him. I inquiried to him about the difference in sound of Mephisto/Burmester 911's monos: He replay to me: Two special refined wines both at top of the Mountain.

I hope to listen Mephisto soon.

As much as I love the 911s, I must admit they are no match for the Mephisto in my system. In fact, the Mephisto is quite far ahead overall. I just hope reliability is not going to be a problem with the Gryphon unit.

As much as I love the 911s, I must admit they are no match for the Mephisto in my system. In fact, the Mephisto is quite far ahead overall. I just hope reliability is not going to be a problem with the Gryphon unit.

Enjoy your Mephisto's ;)...Once I'll listen it I'll post my impressions.

Hi,

About Gryphon I listened many times the Antileon Signature and Colosseum to my delear showroom. Great amps at all. Just a little too analytical sound for my taste. About the latest Mephisto, my delear said to me that its sound is different from Colosseum and He considers the said amp one of the best ever listened by him. I inquiried to him about the difference in sound of Mephisto/Burmester 911's monos: He replay to me: Two special refined wines both at top of the Mountain.

I hope to listen Mephisto soon.

Hi Rocco...i have a lengthy description posted here somewhere of Colosseum, older Antileon and my 'guesstimate' on Mephisto difference which i think was supported by one of the new owners of Mephisto. Basically, the older Antileon had an intensity of tone/sweetness throughout the frequency spectrum which was extremely special...i have not heard its equal before or since. However, the older Antileon also came with a darkness across the treble...still a beautiful, delineated treble, just dark. The Antileon SE and Colosseum have totally eliminated that darkness, and in comparing with Goldmund (beautiful treble...just not my flavor anywhere else in the spectrum)...i was pleasantly surprised to hear this....however, you end up with about 95%-98% of that intensity of tone/sweetness which is where a lot of the magic resides.

From looking at what Gryphon appear to have done in their design aims, as well as from speaking with a couple owners, i think that this intensity of tone is fully back...plus all the illuminated treble, extension...and probably better technicals (noise floor), etc as well.

Please let us know when you've heard the mighty Mephisto...i do think it is one for the record books, and 10 years from now people will look back at that model (and many will still own them)...much like: SF Guarneri, Quad 57/63, Apogee Stages, CJ ART, Linn LP12, Krell KSA 50/fpb750mcx, Forte 4.

The irony of this hobby of ours(some would say ,rightfully so ,"madness") is that there are so many choices ,flavors and options.but, it is a small community of "nuts", to which all these companies cater to.now, screw one of us once and it's over for that comapny and that individual. heck, if my expereince with Gryphon was as great as it should have been, i may have still owned the colleseums or move up the ladder.all in all, i believe that the first impression is the only impression, especially when it comes to high end audio.

thf99-- i hope that you enjoy your maphisto for many years to come.

Quick impressions of the burmester gear- fast ,open ,Dead- Sea level quiet, with excellent timber and resolution.an eye candy to boot....

The irony of this hobby of ours(some would say ,rightfully so ,"madness") is that there are so many choices ,flavors and options.but, it is a small community of "nuts", to which all these companies cater to.now, screw one of us once and it's over for that comapny and that individual. heck, if my expereince with Gryphon was as great as it should have been, i may have still owned the colleseums or move up the ladder.all in all, i believe that the first impression is the only impression, especially when it comes to high end audio.

Quick impressions of the burmester gear- fast ,open ,Dead- Sea level quiet, with excellent timber and resolution.an eye candy to boot....

Sounds good! Enjoy them and look forward to reading more as you re-build your mighty system!! Do you still have your Accuphase digital front end? I presume you kept your Focal Stellas?

The excellent accuphase combo was recently replaced by the dcs vivaldi full stack....which is a completely different ballgame in digital playback.
yes, the focal stellas remain intact, as are my hrs racks and siltech cables , although ,i'm upgrading them to the Double corwn models, slowly and painfully.....:).

[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope so, ozy. Thanks and sorry to hear about your unhappy experience with your Colleseums.

The excellent accuphase combo was recently replaced by the dcs vivaldi full stack....which is a completely different ballgame in digital playback.
yes, the focal stellas remain intact, as are my hrs racks and siltech cables , although ,i'm upgrading them to the Double corwn models, slowly and painfully.....:).

Hah!!! The good kind of pain! congrats...i have heard even those who admired but did not love the Scarlatti feel differently about the new Vivaldi! Some good holiday presents to enjoy!

I certainly hope so, ozy. Thanks and sorry to hear about your unhappy experience with your Colleseums.

Yes, and that goes for all of us who own high-end equipment Gryphon, Burmester or otherwise! I am even more curious to hear the Mephistos now.

Last edited:
I believe without a doubt, Burmester is the king, long live the "Queen"!! Hypex UCore is the new Queen. Doubt me if you will, listen and be reborn.:cool:

I believe without a doubt, Burmester is the king, long live the "Queen"!! Hypex UCore is the new Queen. Doubt me if you will, listen and be reborn.:cool:

Jim,

Do you buy one yet? What have you listened to?

How I wish you were right, Jim. Unfortunately, that's not the case, at least in my system. In my case, Burmester is the Queen and the mighty Mephisto is the new King!
A friend of mine who has heard FMA 1811, Dart 458s and Mephisto monos mentioned that his preference in order was:
1) FMA 1811
2) Mephisto mono
3) 458s
He also said that for an easier speaker load, the 458s are about the equal of the Mephistos. Of course this was just his opinion.

How I wish you were right, Jim. Unfortunately, that's not the case, at least in my system. In my case, Burmester is the Queen and the mighty Mephisto is the new King!
A friend of mine who has heard FMA 1811, Dart 458s and Mephisto monos mentioned that his preference in order was:
1) FMA 1811
2) Mephisto mono
3) 458s
He also said that for an easier speaker load, the 458s are about the equal of the Mephistos. Of course this was just his opinion.

I have heard good things about the FM 268 and the 1811...have you heard them? Very curious.

1) FMA 1811
2) Mephisto mono
3) 458s

I think I could make do with any of them:D

Which is the most expensive?

I have heard good things about the FM 268 and the 1811...have you heard them? Very curious.

No, I haven't heard them but judging from comments of some very experienced ears, they are the king of amplifiers but at a very heavy price.

I think I could make do with any of them:D

Which is the most expensive?

Me too:b.
FMA at CHF139,000 is the most expensive. There is a higher model, the 118 mono (around CHF300,000 I think). Best of the best but may not be the best value.

Me too:b.
FMA at CHF139,000 is the most expensive. There is a higher model, the 118 mono (around CHF300,000 I think). Best of the best but may not be the best value.

Dollars is Swiss Francs here, more or less...so call it USD140K. whew...though Gryphon Mephisto monos are $100K+, no?

Good evening, gentlemen. With that said, this thread will now be closed pending management review. Some off topic posts have been soft deleted, which means that they remain in the database and can be restored if warranted.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing