Burmester 911 mk3

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
coming off the excellent vac tube gear ,the 911s and the 077 preamp had an immdiate distinction to its sound- fast and weighty. after a week oe so, the sound became more resolute and revealing but without being hyper- csi . also an added sweetness to the sound was quite prominent.

The burmester sound overall is very dynamic ,with a punchy ,yet detailed bass, with very pallable mids and sweet high frequencies that are especially noted in the sound of cymbals and strings.it lacks any of the harshness that many of my previous s/s exhibited.

i liked it so much that i ordered a pair of 909mk5 stereo, to be bi- amped vertically, and a 077 with a rps and a dac module. expected delivery- next week.

Smokes!!! Congrats...that is quite a beast! Look forward to reading about those next week then! Enjoy and congrats again.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks alot Lloyde.... btw, i meant this week for the delivery.:confused:

OK...look forward to hearing about them in 1 week...and one day! ;)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
The pair of 909s and the 077 preamp arrived this morning!
they have been playing for a couple of hours already, and my first impressions are-
what ever the 911 excelled in , and there are a plenty of excellent attributes, the 909s extrapolate and expand upon.
they will need min of 4 days of on -time to let all the capacitors charge up, and a good 200 hours to break in. same for the 077 with the rps.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
What speakers? Great system!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Ozy. I really am happy for you. I can only imagine what goodness you are hearing. Wow!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
focal stella em, dcs vivaldi stack, siltech G7 cabels, hrs mxr racks.

Sound familiar. A friend of mine has a somehow similar system:

Grande Utopia EM, 2x 911 mk3 factory monos and 077 with PSU.

He uses the Metronome C-8, not the dCS though.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
thank you joe- and goodness it is-rich, wholesome timber with tons of info without being overly CSI.....

It can not get any better than that my friend. Awesome!!!!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
It can not get any better than that my friend. Awesome!!!!

I think it can, that is what I am after.;) But ozy's system is without a doubt, state of the art, to die for to own.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
focal stella em, dcs vivaldi stack, siltech G7 cabels, hrs mxr racks.
Hello ozy and congrat's on your latest acquisitions. Glad to hear you are enjoying them already! I see that you have the Focal Stella Utopia EM's. Do these speakers utilize the TNV, TNC or the Beryllium tweeter?

Tom

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hello ozy and congrat's on your latest acquisitions. Glad to hear you are enjoying them already! I see that you have the Focal Stella Utopia EM's. Do these speakers utilize the TNV, TNC or the Beryllium tweeter?

Tom

Focal uses its very own Beryllium Tweeter. Actually, the Mother company JM Labs is a very big OEM for loudspeaker drivers. Wilson used (or continues to use, I am not sure) Focal drivers in many of its speakers.

@Ozy

Did you order the 077 with the DAC module? If yes how does it compare to the DCS stack?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Focal uses its very own Beryllium Tweeter. Actually, the Mother company JM Labs is a very big OEM for loudspeaker drivers. Wilson used (or continues to use, I am not sure) Focal drivers in many of its speakers.

Yes, the X2 and XLF 13" and 15" woofers are made by Focal using Focal proprietary W material.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Frantz. I had actually asked the question because Focal actually utilizes all 3 different type of tweeters within their product lineup. The TNC and TNV are tweeters that were designed from technology they had learned from their Beryllium tweeter. Wasn't sure which one they used in this particular loudspeaker is all. I do appreciate you letting me know about Wilson having used [perhaps currently] Focal drivers in their lineup. Focal has graced my rig in the past and I have rather high impressions of both Wilson and Focal.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing