Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

If the sound of a CD is compressed, what can you do with it?
You can expand a compressed recording’s dynamic range. That’s what I do with my dynamic filtering. Jussi Laako’s HQPLAYER also creates expanded dynamic range through its filters and modulators.

Last edited:
How about this: Audiophile goal #3: Try to achieve what we think or hope or guess is exactly the same as what is on the master tape or digital file?
Because this construction embeds pejoratively your view of the matter. Because that is not the way the audiophiles who have this objective as their goal think of the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: tima
I meant digital files (and the original, without the "remastering" process). I have already seen your videos, and it is not meaningful to listen to the end result without having heard the original.

Very easy to do in this case as I streamed the source file from Tidal in every case. To compare and contrast the original file to the processed file simply listen to the streamed original source file from Tidal.

My system-Remastering process and Jussi Laako’s HQPLAYER are both real-time processes.

You can expand a compressed recording’s dynamic range. That’s what I do with my dynamic filtering. Jussi Laako’s HQPLAYER also creates expanded dynamic range through its filters and modulators.

I don't see how you can recreate what has been lost.

Reactions: Rexp
I meant digital files (and the original, without the "remastering" process). I have already seen your videos, and it is not meaningful to listen to the end result without having heard the original.
I also did on that thread a video recording of the same file played back on my WAAR system with and without the system-Remastering process enabled in the playback chain.

I don't see how you can recreate what has been lost.
You don’t recreate what was lost. You simply extract more detail and resolution from what is there and then you reshape it to match the ideal sound in your head.

Can you point me to the relevant post?
Perhaps a more powerful testament to the profound power of the system-Remastering process on that threat is WBF member Will submitting a request to replay a badly produced track through my WAAR system with the system-Remastering process:

Posts #52 - #58 in the “There is a smarter way” thread.

Watch this from about 20:00 -
Bernie Grundman comparing digital to vinyl

Yeah.... he and his son also said everytime you copy/paste or transfer a digital file, it changes the sound! :rolleyes:

Yeah.... he and his son also said everytime you copy/paste or transfer a digital file, it changes the sound! :rolleyes:
It would be interesting to get all the living great mastering engineers on a panel and you will find that there is no convergence of opinions. What I have found is that most mastering engineers are tradesmen that don’t understand nor are they interested in the science, engineering, and technology behind the scene of their equipment and have just learned how to use it to achieve their desired results. There are/were some that clearly know their stuff and can articulate, discuss, and teach courses on the subject matter. Bob Katz is a subject matter expert and there are others. Bob Ludwig is retired now but he always was on the cutting edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce B
Because this construction embeds pejoratively your view of the matter. Because that is not the way the audiophiles who have this objective as their goal think of the situation.

How do we know that Ron? Who has this goal, and have they explained how they can know that they are hearing what you write as the "exact same" as the original recording?

The question of systems homogenizing music or not is unrelated to what we are discussing here.

If some have the goal of hearing "exactly" what is on the original or master tape or file", then whether a system is transparent (does not homogenize) is extremely relevant to those with that goal. How could it not be?

Post #23 in the “There is a smarter way” thread.

I actually had already viewed those videos of E.Rigby. I can't say either one is convincing, but with a video recording there is always a chance things could sound pretty different in the room. Has anyone here actually heard your system?

Post #116 in the “There is a smarter way” thread.

The vocals on the remastered track are weird - some sibilance ? Here again, hard to tell with these videos, but the non-remastered version is more relaxing to listen to (WAAR - Begin Again).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing