CH Precision C1.2

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
One of the main reasons modern vinyl recordings may sound clearer and cleaner than their original and older counterparts is because they have been digitally recorded and put onto vinyl and therefore more closely resemble a CD !
I wasn't referring to modern VINYL recordings (which I agree are almost all digital) or any particular format necessarily, just the art/science of modern recordings in general. All I'm trying to say here is that there are fantastic recordings being released that aren't available on vinyl, and therefore digital remains important to me as a music lover. I don't want to just hear the same interpretations of classical music over and over, I appreciate the work of modern recording artists.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I haven't heard CH digital but I wouldn't expect it to come anywhere close to the organic quality of vinyl. I would expect it to sound squeaky clean & pure, but probably not tonally dense enough to compete.

It was my favourite digital last year at the Munchen show after WADAX .
Clean detailed / good sounding but Wadax was on another level (to my ears )
MSB was a bit disappointing .
I listened for about an hour in total to the Roy gregory / sterling trayle demos.
CH / Tech Das versus CH digital , LP was a clear winner more detail / organic sound

Reactions: MadFloyd

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't want to just hear the same interpretations of classical music over and over, I appreciate the work of modern recording artists.

Totally agree on not listening to same interpretations over and over. One should listen to more than ten of each for sure. But they need to be quality performances and recordings

btw this is exactly why I am in favour of streaming. Listening to many interpretations on quality LPs is available but expensive while on streaming it is easy. Also, some quality performances from, for example, Heifetz which are not well recorded on vinyl I prefer to listen on digital.

however that is a completely different statement from incorrectly saying that old LPs don’t have good piano.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I heard DCS (incl the APEX ) on iirc wilson D agostino / and some more DCS on other set ups ...not even close.
But i ve never been much of a DCS fan

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Totally agree on not listening to same interpretations over and over. One should listen to more than ten of each for sure. But they need to be quality performances and recordings

btw this is exactly why I am in favour of streaming. Listening to many interpretations on quality LPs is available but expensive while on streaming it is easy. Also, some quality performances from, for example, Heifetz which are not well recorded on vinyl I prefer to listen on digital.

however that is a completely different statement from incorrectly saying that old LPs don’t have good piano.
Never my intention to say older LPs don't have good piano. Perhaps I could have worded it better but this is what I said:

I've yet to hear solo piano on any vinyl rival modern recordings. Not saying the older ones are terrible or anything, just that some recent ones are outstanding.

I'm not trying to be adversarial. I've never heard digital that I think sounded as good as vinyl (in general that is - and I've heard Wadax) and I only posted because I don't think the CH digital is going to match CH phono. Heck, all the CH dealers I know focus on other digital brands. I wish it could be the case though as I love digital.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
A small update from me, I‘ve been happily using my C1.2, I never did buy an X1 as i had a power conditioning which seem to improve the C1/C1.2 so about 5 years I got a T1 (without GPS) instead. Then today my GPS module arrived for my T1, it took seriously long time for the GSP signal to sync On my T1, as i live in an apartment and the GPS signal is very weak.

But once it had finally synced, it felt like my C1.2 became C1.25, the improvement along the same lines as from C1 to C1.2, but not quite as profound or as big.

Brahmsian

VIP/Donor
Aug 2, 2020
A small update from me, I‘ve been happily using my C1.2, I never did buy an X1 as i had a power conditioning which seem to improve the C1/C1.2 so about 5 years I got a T1 (without GPS) instead. Then today my GPS module arrived for my T1, it took seriously long time for the GSP signal to sync On my T1, as i live in an apartment and the GPS signal is very weak.

But once it had finally synced, it felt like my C1.2 became C1.25, the improvement along the same lines as from C1 to C1.2, but not quite as profound or as big.
I would agree the GPS module makes a very big different to the performance of the T1. It should be a standard item on the T1 or at least you should purchase it as an option.

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
Hello

I wonder what other CD players that can be in the same sound quality neighborhood
as an expensive turntable for example, the Air Force three premium or the clearaudio master innovation. Subjective sound like relaxed sound, realism, and density of music.

I'm wondering if the Esoteric grandioso K1XSE (available late 2023) or K1X would qualify? Or DCS rossini Apex.
The esoteric k01x does not. In my opinion. It would take quite a jump in sound quality to get what I want.

This thought may be repeated in another thread, in order to get more exposure of this idea. It seems like no one in the audio press ever compares digital to analog.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello

I wonder what other CD players that can be in the same sound quality neighborhood
as an expensive turntable for example, the Air Force three premium or the clearaudio master innovation. Subjective sound like relaxed sound, realism, and density of music.

I'm wondering if the Esoteric grandioso K1XSE (available late 2023) or K1X would qualify? Or DCS rossini Apex.
The esoteric k01x does not. In my opinion. It would take quite a jump in sound quality to get what I want.

This thought may be repeated in another thread, in order to get more exposure of this idea. It seems like no one in the audio press ever compares digital to analog.

Forgive me if I missed something here, but if you are looking for "relaxed sound, realism, and density of music" why not just put your favorite CD transport in front of a LampizatOr Baltic 4 (or higher LampizatOr model)?

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
Forgive me if I missed something here, but if you are looking for "relaxed sound, realism, and density of music" why not just put your favorite CD transport in front of a LampizatOr Baltic 4 (or higher LampizatOr model)?
Hello Ron

I am looking for more detail, with relaxed sound. Dynamic also. Turntable, being heavy, has the bass.
I want to be happy with cd. I would be if I ignored analog. It's hard to verbalize. I could try k1x but if I try it, I own it.
I can look into lampizator but I wonder if replacement tubes will continue to be available.

The do-nothing option is possible, just realize cd has its inherent sound.
Stopgap could be a 10k unit for a while. Until I have the 46k or 90k for ch precision. Or chance the esoteric grandioso which is final cd player.

Bill

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Ron

I am looking for more detail, with relaxed sound. Dynamic also. Turntable, being heavy, has the bass.
I want to be happy with cd. I would be if I ignored analog. It's hard to verbalize. I could try k1x but if I try it, I own it.
I can look into lampizator but I wonder if replacement tubes will continue to be available.

The do-nothing option is possible, just realize cd has its inherent sound.
Stopgap could be a 10k unit for a while. Until I have the 46k or 90k for ch precision. Or chance the esoteric grandioso which is final cd player.

Bill
For relaxed & musical yet detailed sound, please have a look of the Metronome AQWO Series.

For a no-limit budget, the Kalista Dreamplay Series is even better.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I just finished an installation and client bought a C1.2 . That is a terrific dac and IMO a great value for the price. Huge improvement over the old gear and IMO better than the old dac , ps and clock combined.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I just finished an installation and client bought a C1.2 . That is a terrific dac and IMO a great value for the price. Huge improvement over the old gear and IMO better than the old dac , ps and clock combined.
Nice. I’d love to hear it one day.

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
I have listened c1.2 with d1.5 for cd listening. Almost as good as vinyl on Air Force 3 premium. That's saying something.
The price is a big barrier.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Nice. I’d love to hear it one day.
Me too especially with the CH D1.5 connected with the CH digital data interconnect to give the full 705.6kHz sampling rate playing Red Book CDs.

Would then love to do a direct A to B comparison with my Chord Blu (with inbuilt M Scaler) and Chord DAVE connected with dual Wave High Fidelity STORM Reference BNC digital data interconnects that also gives me the full 705.6kHz sampling rate with playing Red Book CDs.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Me too especially with the CH D1.5 connected with the CH digital data interconnect to give the full 705.6kHz sampling rate playing Red Book CDs.

Would then love to do a direct A to B comparison with my Chord Blu (with inbuilt M Scaler) and Chord DAVE connected with dual Wave High Fidelity STORM Reference BNC digital data interconnects that also gives me the full 705.6kHz sampling rate with playing Red Book CDs.
That would indeed be an interesting comparison.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

I have borrowed CH1.2 from my dealer for home audition for 10 days. I have an ARC6 Chord DAVE. I love my DAVE. I have compared it to MSB Select II over a period of 6 months in my system. I don’t judge performance based on price. Believe it or not, in my system, DAVE beats Select II comprehensively.

Back to C1.2, I only do local file streaming. My files are offline upsampled to 16FS using PGGB software. The first day impression of C1.2 is not very favourable. Not too sure whether it is cold and needs to warm up. But as days go by, I grow to love C1.2. I appreciate C1.2 qualities. The presentation is different. DAVE is more punchy and a bit raw. C1.2 is more smooth and graceful. I would say DAVE is like a heavyweight boxer and C1.2 is like a ballet dancer. But what ulimately wins me over is that C1.2 is rock solid in imaging and the imaging is very details. In comparison, DAVE imaging is wavy and blurry. I am shocked at this. Why am I shocked? Because C1.2 is a R2R DAC. R2R DACs have intrinsic linearity problems as the resistors can’t be 100% matched. DS DACs should better at resolution. But this is what I find.

At the end of my 10 days home audition, I find C1.2 is a superior DAC. One caveat is that my files are offline upsampled to 16FS before feeding to both DAC. So in essence, I do not use the upsampling function of C1.2. I have confirmed this with Florian.

Will I upgrade to C1.2? No. Because Chord is going to have Ultima DAC and CH is going to have C10 this year. I will wait for them.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
That would indeed be an interesting comparison.
Would also be great to also throw in the CH X1 for the C1.2 and the Sean Jacobs DC4-ARC6 or the Farad Super3 or even the Super10 for the Chord DAVE into the mix for the comparison !.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have borrowed CH1.2 from my dealer for home audition for 10 days. I have an ARC6 Chord DAVE. I love my DAVE. I have compared it to MSB Select II over a period of 6 months in my system. I don’t judge performance based on price. Believe it or not, in my system, DAVE beats Select II comprehensively.

Back to C1.2, I only do local file streaming. My files are offline upsampled to 16FS using PGGB software. The first day impression of C1.2 is not very favourable. Not too sure whether it is cold and needs to warm up. But as days go by, I grow to love C1.2. I appreciate C1.2 qualities. The presentation is different. DAVE is more punchy and a bit raw. C1.2 is more smooth and graceful. I would say DAVE is like a heavyweight boxer and C1.2 is like a ballet dancer. But what ulimately wins me over is that C1.2 is rock solid in imaging and the imaging is very details. In comparison, DAVE imaging is wavy and blurry. I am shocked at this. Why am I shocked? Because C1.2 is a R2R DAC. R2R DACs have intrinsic linearity problems as the resistors can’t be 100% matched. DS DACs should better at resolution. But this is what I find.

At the end of my 10 days home audition, I find C1.2 is a superior DAC. One caveat is that my files are offline upsampled to 16FS before feeding to both DAC. So in essence, I do not use the upsampling function of C1.2. I have confirmed this with Florian.

Will I upgrade to C1.2? No. Because Chord is going to have Ultima DAC and CH is going to have C10 this year. I will wait for them.
I found a big improvement with my Chord DAVE with having the Chord M Scaler (initially as the one box solution then later upgrading my Chord Blu MK1 CD Transport by Chord Electronics to have an inbuilt M Scaler like the MK2) with connecting them together (DAVE & Blu) with the superb Wave High Fidelity STORM Digital Data BNC interconnects. These additions put a lot of 'meat on the bone' to the music I was hearing.

Wondering if purchasing and installing either the Sean Jacobs DC4-ARC6 or the Farad Super3 or Super10 external linear power supplies for my Chord DAVE would nicely complete my digital source set-up with further improvement to the sound i.e. even 'more meat on the bone' to the sound, bigger (deeper and wider) sound stage, even higher clarity etc. as written in a number of online reviews and WBF Members feedback who have installed one of these external linear power supplies to their Chord DAVE.

By the end of this year, I will be in a dilemma with my next upgrade for my UK HiFi System of whether to buy a Sean Jacobs DC4-ARC6 or the Farad Super3 or Super10 for my Chord DAVE or think about purchasing a CH 1.2 in 2025 (and selling my Chord DAVE to help fund a C1.2, but with using my Chord Blu CD Transport I will only be getting a maximum 352kHz sampling rate into and from the C1.2 with a single digital data BNC interconnect) or purchasing another CH P1 and X1 to have a full mono CH P1 Phono Stage in 2025 for my TT set-up (along with an upgrade replacement for my MSL Eminent Ex cartridge (i.e. a MSL Signature Gold or Platinum etc.) by end of this year as by end of 2024 my Ex will surely have 1,200+ ours of use on it).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing