Frank Schroder Arm in Portland, OR or Seattle, WA?

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Hi!

I'm new to this side of the forum as I've mainly followed along with some DAC journeys here, but it's been suggested to me that I look into building a TT around one of Frank's arms and I wanted to see if anyone on the forum who is in the PNW might have a TT setup with one of his arms and would also be willing to host for an evening to show it off?

I really trust the person who is reccomending it, but given the cost of these arms, I really think it would be prudent to at least try to hear one in person.

I live in Portland, OR, but travel to Seattle, WA often, as well as all over WA and OR state, so I can be flexible.

Thanks in advance for anyone that might be willing to accomadate this.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I've had a Schroeder Ref SQ arm in my system in the past, but not now. agree with your friend, Frank Schroeder makes excellent tone arms.

I do live in Seattle with a few nice arms you are welcome to hear; 2 Durand Tosca's, Durand Telos, and the Primary Control FCL arm. and in a few weeks I will have the Glanz MH124S too. I also own the CS Port LFT1 turntable with a linear tracking arm. so 6 arms total.

I do have a nice dac you can compare to the tonearms if you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: limberpine and Chop

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
I've had a Schroeder Ref SQ arm in my system in the past, but not now. agree with your friend, Frank Schroeder makes excellent tone arms.

I do live in Seattle with a few nice arms you are welcome to hear; 2 Durand Tosca's, Durand Telos, and the Primary Control FCL arm. and in a few weeks I will have the Glanz MH124S too. I also own the CS Port LFT1 turntable with a linear tracking arm. so 6 arms total.

That's so kind for someone you don't know! There's not that much wrong with this forum...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi!

I'm new to this side of the forum as I've mainly followed along with some DAC journeys here, but it's been suggested to me that I look into building a TT around one of Frank's arms and I wanted to see if anyone on the forum who is in the PNW might have a TT setup with one of his arms and would also be willing to host for an evening to show it off?

I really trust the person who is reccomending it, but given the cost of these arms, I really think it would be prudent to at least try to hear one in person.

I live in Portland, OR, but travel to Seattle, WA often, as well as all over WA and OR state, so I can be flexible.

Thanks in advance for anyone that might be willing to accomadate this.

Steve dobbins in Idaho has the Schroeder LT next to the first SAT arm. You can compare the two if I visit him. You can buy the LT of Steve for 12.5k if you like it.

Reactions: limberpine

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
2 Durand Tosca's, Durand Telos, and the Primary Control FCL arm. and in a few weeks I will have the Glanz MH124S too. I also own the CS Port LFT1 turntable with a linear tracking arm. so 6 arms total.

Show off

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021

Oh, great to know! I'll send you a message next time I head up to Seattle! Are you in Seattle proper or outside of the city?

Thanks!

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Steve dobbins in Idaho has the Schroeder LT next to the first SAT arm. You can compare the two if I visit him. You can buy the LT of Steve for 12.5k if you like it.
Where in ID is he? I don't have plans to got there anytime soon, but good to know when I do.

Thanks!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Where in ID is he? I don't have plans to got there anytime soon, but good to know when I do.

Thanks!

just email xactaudio off the site when you are planning to go. He responds quickly. He is near the airport so easy to get to or even do a day trip for you

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
It's been suggested to me that I look into building a TT around one of Frank's arms
Do you feel like sharing what the suggestion is for the other bits? ( table, cart etc.). Could add to the discussion ;)

Schröder makes quite a few arms, which are you focused on?

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Do you feel like sharing what the suggestion is for the other bits? ( table, cart etc.). Could add to the discussion ;)

Schröder makes quite a few arms, which are you focused on?
We haven't dove deep yet on which table or which specific arm.

Will certianly add more context as it comes up.

Right now, I'm running a Rek O Kut T-43, with a Karmedon Arm and Denon 103 rebuilt by soundsmith with the ruby stylus and optimized contour line diamond. I mated this setup with a Van Den Hul The Grail

It sounds pretty amazing to me, but since the suggestion of potentially "leveling up" my TT, coming from someone who has heard alot of TT's, I want to hear some things if I can before just jumping in.

Going to be a journey.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Rght now, I'm running a Rek O Kut T-43, with a Karmedon Arm and Denon 103 rebuilt by soundsmith with the ruby stylus and optimized contour line diamond. I mated this setup with a Van Den Hul The Grail
Cool. Bet that combo does a lot right...
It sounds pretty amazing to me, but since the suggestion of potentially "leveling up" my TT, coming from someone who has heard alot of TT's, I want to hear some things if I can before just jumping in.

Going to be a journey.
Imho starting from a place where you like how your rig sounds, but are open to better, is a great way to start a journey.

A visit to mike's place is a perfect way to launch into it :)

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
Imho starting from a place where you like how your rig sounds, but are open to better, is a great way to start a journey.

A visit to mike's place is a perfect way to launch into it :)
Yeah, I think what I have sounds way better than one might think, but I'm also open to better when someone I trust suggests it.

Alright, good to know! I'm glad Mike is somewhere close to me. Now I need to see when I'll be up in Seattle next!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah, I think what I have sounds way better than one might think, but I'm also open to better when someone I trust suggests it.

Alright, good to know! I'm glad Mike is somewhere close to me. Now I need to see when I'll be up in Seattle next!

How does your Sayes 45 compare to the Burgess? What 45 tubes do you use?

@Bobvin is in Portland, and he has my favourite turntable, vyger Atlantis, which is especially good due to its linear tracking arm. Schroeder’s top arm at Steve Dobbins, the LT, is a pivoted linear tracker.

a lot of this gear including Mike’s is very expensive, and may be out of your budget. Nevertheless, it is good to hear all these different approaches to tables and systems. You might not isolate impact of each in your first listen, but overall an approach might be worth investigating further for you.

If you visit Seattle, Solypsa’s STST Motus 2 is one of the highest value reasonablY priced tables left so you might want to listen to that as well.

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
How does your Sayes 45 compare to the Burgess? What 45 tubes do you use?

@Bobvin is in Portland, and he has my favourite turntable, vyger Atlantis, which is especially good due to its linear tracking arm. Schroeder’s top arm at Steve Dobbins, the LT, is a pivoted linear tracker.

a lot of this gear including Mike’s is very expensive, and may be out of your budget. Nevertheless, it is good to hear all these different approaches to tables and systems. You might not isolate impact of each in your first listen, but overall an approach might be worth investigating further for you.

If you visit Seattle, Solypsa’s STST Motus 2 is one of the highest value reasonablY priced tables left so you might want to listen to that as well.
I need to edit my 'About', but I don't see how to do that. I need to do that to update speakers and gear. My speakers now are a custom setup: JBL 077 slot tweeter, running 10k and up, Altec 1003b with 288c compression drivers running 400hz up to 10k, and Altec 416 woofer running 400hz down in a custom Jospech Crowe Mini Onken Box.

Then I have the Van Den Hul - The Grail on the Vinyl side and the Abbas 4.0 DAC on the digital side running through a custom remote-controlled TVC into a custom SET 6a3/6b4g dc-coupled power amp.

The Sayes 45 (7193 drivers and 5y3 changed over to Type 80 rectified) is great, it was my favorite amp for quite a while, it has that SET magic and the romantic nature of the 45 tube. I've used normal Philco and Sylvania ST-45's in this amp and they sound great. I also had a set of TJ Globe 45, which sounded amazing, but they had some manufacturing defects, so I had to send them back it turns out at that point TJ wasn't making 45 globes anymore, so I got their large ST-45s as a replacement and those sounded good int his amp, but not as open and airy as the Globes.

The Burgess 45 is a PP amp, with 2-45's per channel and it is much different sounding than the Sayes. The Burgess has a lot more ( 6WPC vs. 1.8WPC of the Sayes) This amp loses the SET magic and romantic nature of the 45. It's much more punchy, but it was having some issues with background noise from the amp, so it sat on the sideline.

The amp I have now is a DC-coupled SET 6A3/6B4G with a 6dj8 driver and is solid-state rectified. It has Tango Iron and was built by a guy here locally. This amp is where I have stopped, because it sounds great, powers my system well and I just forget about it. It does everything I want and sounds fantastic. I'd still like to try some version of the 10y or 801a.

My budget isn't huge comparatively, but I'm also able to save if something is compelling, but out of reach for the time being. I think one of the largest limiting factors for me will be my room.

@Bobvin I live in SE Portland in the Mt Tabor Neighborhood, so I'd love to meetup with you for a listen if you're open to it!

@Solypsa I'd love to visit you too when up in Seattle if that works out for you too.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Solypsa

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’m always happy to share some listening time, I’ll send you a PM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing