Fuse and Cable Directionality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, a very good question. Anyone care to take a stab? Alternatively you couid go read the AudioQuest paper on directionality and noise in audio cables, it’s strictly up to you. See my post earlier, was it last week? Exhibit B
link is dead

What good would it possibly do to have a super duper conducting Graphene fuse wire when the entire rest of the system is copper, including the end caps?
As much as adding any other sort of super-duper expensive directional fuse?

What good would it possibly do to have a super duper conducting Graphene fuse wire when the entire rest of the system is copper, including the end caps? Besides, Graphene is defined as a two dimensional material, if you make it into a solid 3 dimensional material like a wire it’s no longer Graphene.
I believe it is about eliminating the 'weakest link' than to try and improve anything else in the chain.
And I am still not sure where I stand on fuses yet. My system sounds better this week after adding a nano fuse in my Lumin U2, but I've also been breaking in a new LHY SW-10 audiophile switch. I will remove the fuse this weekend and insert the stock fuse to have a good listen.

This what your looking for?

Rob :)

This what your looking for?

I guess. That was remarkably unconvincing.

• Haha
Reactions: Robh3606
That's an understatement! Found the source for the pseudo science.

The whole thing is so ludicrous! Just think a minute all the leaded parts could have "reversed" leads They are precut to length and binned prior to wiring/manufacturing.

Then you have inductors that can be wound reversed, Then when you install there is no polarity so "right" can be reversed at install.

Let's do a coin toss say 50% are right.

Then you reverse one cord or wire, leaving everything else as is and poof it's fixed!

I don't buy it!

Last edited:
I challenge anyone to prove fuses and wire are not directional. And yes, I know what you’re thinking: “but it’s the responsibility of the person making the claim.” :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SeagoatLeo
I challenge anyone to prove fuses and wire are not directional.
these things are not proven. Proofs are strictly for math. In physics we look at the existing evidence and go with what it tells us. I can just as easily challenge anyone to prove there are no pink 5 legged dwarf elephants on the moons of Jupiter.

I challenge anyone to offer objective verifiable evidence that fuses make any difference in the actual sound of a component or that cable direction makes an audible difference. Let's look at the non anecdotal evidence and evaluate it. If they make an actual audible difference in the audio signal that difference will show up in objective measurements in that signal and will be reliably detected in well designed bias controlled listening tests.

Let's see that evidence.

• Sad
From the Audioquest website (link just above):
A conductor’s asymmetrical surface structure causes a directional difference in impedance at noise frequencies and very high interference frequencies. Due to skin-effect, such high-frequency energy travels almost exclusively on the surface of a conductor, giving significance to the directional difference in impedance at these frequencies.

For a 20ga bit of wire, skin effect might go as low as 80KHz, depending a great deal on the kind of signal (usually RF) and the strength of the signal. However if there is directionality at those frequencies, no-one has ever measured it and of course no-one can hear that high either.

I challenge anyone to prove fuses and wire are not directional. And yes, I know what you’re thinking: “but it’s the responsibility of the person making the claim to prove the claim.” :)
The idea that fuses or wire conducting AC signals are directional is extraordinary, so you are on the hook to provide the extraordinary evidence.

Reactions: Analog Scott
these things are not proven. Proofs are strictly for math. In physics we look at the existing evidence and go with what it tells us. I can just as easily challenge anyone to prove there are no pink 5 legged dwarf elephants on the moons of Jupiter.

I challenge anyone to offer objective verifiable evidence that fuses make any difference in the actual sound of a component or that cable direction makes an audible difference. Let's look at the non anecdotal evidence and evaluate it. If they make an actual audible difference in the audio signal that difference will show up in objective measurements in that signal and will be reliably detected in well designed bias controlled listening tests.

Let's see that evidence.
Verifiable evidence? The term directionality is completely subjective. I can say 50,000 audiophiles have heard directionality themselves, and a handful of skeptics say no, they don’t hear it or they won’t try. I’d say, objectively looking at those numbers the ayes have it by far. The evidence that directionality is real far outweighs evidence to the contrary.

That’s where we stand right now. You can’t prove it with measurements, you can’t prove it with math, you can’t prove it with photos of the wire surface, you can’t prove it with logic. You can only prove it by listening.

• Love
Nope. It's 100% objective. Particularly with wires and fuses.
But we already showed that objective observations, I.e., measurements, aren’t convincing. Blame it on the bossa nova. Besides, as someone just pointed out, you can’t prove a negative. As a general comment, I’d opine that fuse skeptics are a looking very much like outliers in the overall scheme of things in the sense on one hand more than 120,000 audiophile fuses have been sold yet there are very few fuse skeptics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing