Genesis at Salon Son et Image, Montreal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The differences are not consistent. I don't know if it's the formats - because I have not heard two recordings using identical chain on two different format. I say identical because different mic preamps have different sounds, and if you believe in cables, the recording engineers I know all believe that even the microphone cables have different characteristics, and different combinations of microphones and cables sound different.

On this one, the differences were quite pronounced. There were two recording chains - two different mics were used: the B&K 4006 on the analog chain, and the Tonecraft 2013 on the digital chain.

thanks, Gary. Makes sense.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Great sound in the Genesis room... detailed but not etchy, earthy but not wide bellied. Overall, very realistic and in a tidy package. Hats off to Gary and Carol. I heard sound from the room after 2:00am Fri night. Someone was having fun. Great job.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi Richard, :b

How's life in Kelowna? And how are you doing? And how come you don't post more here at WBF?

Best regards,
Bob

P.S. I might visit the Okanagan (friends from Naramata) this Summer; I'll let you know.

Hi Bob,

Life in Kelowna is good, but very hectic and busy! My reason for not posting more is simple: lack of "spare" time! I have a couple of projects on the go which are taking up a lot of my time, but I'm trying to take more time to just relax and post more. Apparently I'm not succedding very well! :)

If you're in the area, by all means swing on by! Naramata isn't that far away, especially now Hwy 97 is four lanes all the way from Penticton to Peachland.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Great sound in the Genesis room... detailed but not etchy, earthy but not wide bellied. Overall, very realistic and in a tidy package. Hats off to Gary and Carol. I heard sound from the room after 2:00am Fri night. Someone was having fun. Great job.

Thanks, Peter. It was great to see you and Terry. We had a lot of fun in the room. The system was beginning to gel together on Saturday morning - which was quite a pleasant surprise. Usually, it begins to gel on Sunday, and then we have to take the whole thing apart.

I discovered some great music - will post later after I clear my in-tray!

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
One of the great things we discovered at the show was Todd Garfinkle. ;) Although both Gary and I gave him a hard time about not bringing any vinyl, this particular album he introduced to us was absolutely fantastic.

It's Martin Zeller on a 1673 Stainer Violoncello. Playing J.S. Bach Cello Suites

Just beautiful. When Gary left for lunch on Sunday, we had an empty room, so it was my choice of music. I popped the CD in and almost an hour later, when Gary squeezed back into the room, it was still playing. I had managed to pack the room. Each time I asked the audience if they would like other music, the response was "No, please. This is perfect." People sat through entire Suites.

According to Gary, from the hotel corridor it sounded like a live cellist was in the room.

Oh... the recording: http://www.marecordings.com/main/pr...d=142&osCsid=22aa6ec5d363a3d0951719ea1be78c52

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
It would be fun to get a tread going once a year of the records to die for just loike Stereophile.......
Every member of the forum would have to propose 2 album!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
One of the great things we discovered at the show was Todd Garfinkle. ;) Although both Gary and I gave him a hard time about not bringing any vinyl, this particular album he introduced to us was absolutely fantastic.

It's Martin Zeller on a 1673 Stainer Violoncello. Playing J.S. Bach Cello Suites

Just beautiful. When Gary left for lunch on Sunday, we had an empty room, so it was my choice of music. I popped the CD in and almost an hour later, when Gary squeezed back into the room, it was still playing. I had managed to pack the room. Each time I asked the audience if they would like other music, the response was "No, please. This is perfect." People sat through entire Suites.

According to Gary, from the hotel corridor it sounded like a live cellist was in the room.

Oh... the recording: http://www.marecordings.com/main/pr...d=142&osCsid=22aa6ec5d363a3d0951719ea1be78c52

This is so great Carol, thanx for that my dear! :b

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Yeah! I agree. That was a stunningly realistic recording. It was almost as if the cellist had materialized in the room and the front wall had melted away. Scary good!!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Some press coverage of the Salon Son et Image by Magazine-Audio (in French):
http://www.magazine-audio.com/2012/ssi-2012-part-8/

Happily, we were awarded Coup de Coeur. Our dealers in Montreal, Audiophonie, did very well as 2 of their 3 rooms were given the award by the magazine. The other room was with the Spendor SP-100 speakers driven by the Jadis Defy 7.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congrats on the award Gary! I enjoyed reading the article and I imagine Ms. Bisson is most pleased with her new speakers!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks, John. Much nearer you, Angie of American Sound has come on board as my newest dealer, and she already has a pair of G5.3's in her store.

Angie is a sweetheart! Really down-to-earth lady and always wearing a smile! I'll be sure to pay a visit soon. You did well Gary as American Sound has a really good reputation....you should do well!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Some press coverage of the Salon Son et Image by Magazine-Audio (in French):
[
Happily, we were awarded Coup de Coeur. Our dealers in Montreal, Audiophonie, did very well as 2 of their 3 rooms were given the award by the magazine. The other room was with the Spendor SP-100 speakers driven by the Jadis Defy 7.
Congratulations, Gary! It's always pleasing to be given recognition for effort made, and as many have said, it is difficult to get equipment to come up to the mark at a show, for all sorts of reasons.

Frank

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Garry cheated…..

He brings all those great album and reviewer fall for the music instead of listening to the equipment!;);)

I always think that I have achieved my objective when the audience forgets about the gear and listens to the music. Not the smartest thing to do as a manufacturer, but I'm a music lover first.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations, Gary! It's always pleasing to be given recognition for effort made, and as many have said, it is difficult to get equipment to come up to the mark at a show, for all sorts of reasons.

Frank

Thanks, Frank.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The differences are not consistent. I don't know if it's the formats - because I have not heard two recordings using identical chain on two different format. I say identical because different mic preamps have different sounds, and if you believe in cables, the recording engineers I know all believe that even the microphone cables have different characteristics, and different combinations of microphones and cables sound different.

On this one, the differences were quite pronounced. There were two recording chains - two different mics were used: the B&K 4006 on the analog chain, and the Tonecraft 2013 on the digital chain.

There's issues at every step in the recording and producing of an LP/CD. For CDs, even the plant the disc was pressed at makes a huge difference. Jitter is easily introduced even at the manufacturing level. And many times, you can't assume that all the discs of a given recordings are pressed at the same plant. :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing