Hong Kong still not yet ready for R2R

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I bought tapes and CD with me to visit Hong Kong, hopefully can let some Hi End guys to taste our recording but none of the Hi End store has a tape deck even they still use CD for the main source very little to use vinyl for showing, I find out the reason, the rent of shop is very high in Hong Kong, those Hi Fi shop in very small space can't enough for big equipment, they mainly display high price brand name Hi End modles for those customer from mainland China they only look for name and price and design style, the weather there also not for tape too high humid in summer plus no soft wear so I don't think they will start for R2R in the near future, but if they can't listen what a master dub can sound in their system they can't reach to another level in audio that I believe
tony ma

Hi Tony:

Welcome back to NA. I agree with your sentiment on audio buying decisions by Chinese and other countries being everything else other than the quality of music.

I once visited a huge shopping complex in Seoul and was surprised to see a full MBL gear setup in a showroom that was nothing less than an echo chamber with all glass and full chrome moldings... I asked the salesman if he'd ever sold the speakers that had price tag of ~$100K ($70K + import duties) in a such as bad sounding room. He sail No - and added his customers would never buy the speakers alone. They'd buy the full set (`$250K), and he had already sold four systems that time of the year. I was shocked and asked him what kind of customers would by the set... He said the well-to-do families would come in and buy the MBLs for their son's or daughter's wedding. Thus the color of the gear that would match the interior decoration was the most important thing... Sad, to say the least.

Hi Tony:

Welcome back to NA. I agree with your sentiment on audio buying decisions by Chinese and other countries being everything else other than the quality of music.

I once visited a huge shopping complex in Seoul and was surprised to see a full MBL gear setup in a showroom that was nothing less than an echo chamber with all glass and full chrome moldings... I asked the salesman if he'd ever sold the speakers that had price tag of ~$100K ($70K + import duties) in a such as bad sounding room. He sail No - and added his customers would never buy the speakers alone. They'd buy the full set (`$250K), and he had already sold four systems that time of the year. I was shocked and asked him what kind of customers would by the set... He said the well-to-do families would come in and buy the MBLs for their son's or daughter's wedding. Thus the color of the gear that would match the interior decoration was the most important thing... Sad, to say the least.

Are they looking to adopt? :)

I like the guys at Audio Exotics...if you are ever there, check out their stuff...a well designed system with obsessive attention to detail. Yes, all out assault (on your wallet) but they dont just throw it in a room...they focus on setup, noisy power/dedicated AC. They really listen. I have a lot of respect for those guys...i may not agree 110% with everything they say or do...who of us agrees even close to 100% anyway?...but i do respect them a lot. If you need their details, just PM me...happy to provide.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing