installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

so this morning i was finally able to see what happened and enjoy it.

I'm blown away by this final step. I'd heard raves all weekend but as they had not heard the progression of other things I'd done it was hard for me to judge this last step. but this is a big deal.

the amps love those plugs.

Mike, I am relieved you were able to get the connectors to work with your amp/speakers after more break-in and EQ. I have never heard this amount of "before & after" impact/change due to just swapping out four power connectors in a system before. Fascinating and scary at the same time. I appreciate your sense of adventure in audio; no pain, no gain.

After installing the NCF everywhere (except chassis mount IEC's) in my reference system, I have had to re-EQ my system also.

I changed 7 duplex outlets and 10 power cables a few at a time to hear the changes. The improvement in overall performance and transparency was profound. Previously hidden problems were made more obvious and needed to be dealt with requiring more tweaking in addition to readjusting the EQ. And so it goes in this upgrade process... The good news for me is the music is more realistic and more enjoyable.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I thought audio was a hobby meant to enjoy music (and not listen to the gear) and supposed to be "fun" and not a source of stress.
Well, there is stress if you buy something, install it, have it not sound good just when people are coming over to hear it/evaluate it.

Well, there is stress if you buy something, install it, have it not sound good just when people are coming over to hear it/evaluate it.

Actually, I just enjoy auditioning something to see how well it works, if at all. As long as I know what it does and doesn't do, I am happy, even if it's not good enough

Please know I'm not being critical of anyone but just making a "general" observation.

God knows there are so many things that happen in our lives that cause stress.

One would hope that our "hobbies" are meant to relieve and not cause more stress.

Glad everything worked out for Mike and Joe.

Best.

PS: Just food for thought

Last edited:
Please know I'm not being critical of anyone but just making a "general" observation.

God knows there are so many things that happen in our lives that cause stress.

One would hope that our "hobbies" are meant to relieve and not cause more stress.

Glad everything worked out for Mike and Joe.

Best.

PS: Just food for thought
I should have said that I also agreed with your point :). The purpose of the hobby is to bring enjoyment. The moment it does not, well, it is not a hobby anymore :).

funny (or not so funny) how we here on WBF see the dark side of things so automatically.

I shared my experience and was honest about how it went to educate and entertain. I had a long planned event (that had importance to me), did a last minute change that seemed briefly to be a big problem I could not undo, which did cause concern and stress, then found a solution.

no doubt i take this stuff seriously; how could I not with the commitment I've made?

those less invested might not get that.

I would have expected more encouraging responses....but I suppose that is silly of me.

funny (or not so funny) how we here on WBF see the dark side of things so automatically.

I shared my experience and was honest about how it went to educate and entertain. I had a long planned event (that had importance to me), did a last minute change that seemed briefly to be a big problem I could not undo, which did cause concern and stress, then found a solution.

no doubt i take this stuff seriously; how could I not with the commitment I've made?

I would have expected more encouraging responses....but I suppose that is silly of me.

Hi Mike, thanks for this thread, all of us are gearheads of some order and take tweaks seriously, if not wall sockets, something else. Music lovers who don't care for gear rarely frequent such forums. So there are a lot of people following this, irrespective of whether they reply our not

Wideband Power Line & EMI Noise Analyzer

I use an Entech Wideband Power Line & EMI Noise Analyzer to check out powerline noise and radiated EMI (electromagnetic interference) at various points in my system. The device has a digital display and also a speaker where you can hear the noise including radio interference. It's a cool device I use to demonstrate noise sources to my customers.

I compared AC power line noise for the GTX-D Rhodium with the new GTX-D NCF Rhodium and the NCF unit had a 40% reduction in wideband noise. However, there was very little reduction in radiated EMI (but a little).

What's really interesting is that the new FI-50 NCF connectors had 4 times less radiated EMI than the previous FI-11 connectors (my previous reference).

I have always wondered why power connections are so noisy. The best analogy I've seen is that each power connection acts like a spark plug. AC power crosses the zero axis every 120th of a second, power pulses essentially acting like an AM transmitter. The technology in the Furutech power products is designed to convert EMI fields, static and heat into electrons which are then sunk to ground. The Entech analyser suggests that the new NCF technology is effective.

Reactions: dandylinpsst

well i have enjoyed reading of your latest adventure mike. even though the inspiration you have provided me with will no doubt lead me down the garden path. like you rightly point out, often revealing more can highlight other issues and lead to a whole new set of problems to solve plus can highlight issues with the recordings themselves.

oh well all good fun, well most of the time....

like i said before its nice to read about someone having fun with their setup and exploring.

It is not a matter of committment. It is a matter of being a male with hormones to prove one's supremeness. :D

Well, that is a pot shot I don't appreciate. We are reading your thread so that should account for something.

You have received those. You also got an appropriate comment on losing sleep over a change that an outlet may or may not have made.

Mike,

Your dedication, enthusiasm, and hospitality are most welcome in a hobby filled with jealousy and spite. A wise man once told me that once you pass a certain threshold, EVERYTHING MAKES A DIFFERENCE. Here, we argue as to whether a difference is truly better or merely "different". What truly matters, since you're not spending their money, is whether you are happy with the result. Life is short and true happiness and enjoyment make the ride more pleasant.

Lee

It is not a matter of committment. It is a matter of being a male with hormones to prove one's supremeness. :D

Well, that is a pot shot I don't appreciate. We are reading your thread so that should account for something.

You have received those. You also got an appropriate comment on losing sleep over a change that an outlet may or may not have made.

Amir,

I did appreciate the comment you made that my concern was understandable.

to clarify; my comment regarding 'less invested' was not to infer monetary issues; more how seriously one takes high end audio which is separate from dollars. and those I know who are long term emotionally invested in the hobby take it seriously. and it affects them when there are issues. it's a passion!!!!

a obsession ;)

Mikes' Listeneing Lab. Sort of lie being invited to Nuremberg.

Since I am presently trying to decide which Furutech outlets to order I greatly appreciate reading about Mike's journey with his new NFC outlets!

I use an Entech Wideband Power Line & EMI Noise Analyzer to check out powerline noise and radiated EMI (electromagnetic interference) at various points in my system. The device has a digital display and also a speaker where you can hear the noise including radio interference. It's a cool device I use to demonstrate noise sources to my customers.

I compared AC power line noise for the GTX-D Rhodium with the new GTX-D NCF Rhodium and the NCF unit had a 40% reduction in wideband noise. However, there was very little reduction in radiated EMI (but a little).

What's really interesting is that the new FI-50 NCF connectors had 4 times less radiated EMI than the previous FI-11 connectors (my previous reference).

I have always wondered why power connections are so noisy. The best analogy I've seen is that each power connection acts like a spark plug. AC power crosses the zero axis every 120th of a second, power pulses essentially acting like an AM transmitter. The technology in the Furutech power products is designed to convert EMI fields, static and heat into electrons which are then sunk to ground. The Entech analyser suggests that the new NCF technology is effective.

As far as radiated em fields, I'd expect that reduction as stainless steel is excellent at shielding em fields.

From what I've read the tourmaline dust in the plastic would have an piezoelectric response that might dissipate/convert em field and static energy into negative ions. This is similar to piezo filtering employed in grounding boxes and power conditioners by some manufacturers. This gives me an idea to mix potting compound with tourmaline (and carbon) powder and fill connectors with it. Maybe you could get some of the benefits of NCF technology in any connector that way. Of course you'd have to be careful that the potting compound doesn't become too conductive, but that's very easy to test.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A2CIM7OOJRE5IE

As far as radiated em fields, I'd expect that reduction as stainless steel is excellent at shielding em fields.
Soft mild steel would be better than stainless steel.

From what I've read the tourmaline dust in the plastic would have an piezoelectric response that might dissipate/convert em field and static energy into negative ions. This is similar to piezo filtering employed in grounding boxes and power conditioners by some manufacturers. This gives me an idea to mix potting compound with tourmaline (and carbon) powder and fill connectors with it. Maybe you could get some of the benefits of NCF technology in any connector that way. Of course you'd have to be careful that the potting compound doesn't become too conductive, but that's very easy to test.
Not at AC power line interference frequencies. But inside a small i-pad or cell-phone, it could be.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A2CIM7OOJRE5IE

Sounds... difficult. You might be better off making your own plugs. I know what I'd do...

Amir,

I did appreciate the comment you made that my concern was understandable.

to clarify; my comment regarding 'less invested' was not to infer monetary issues; more how seriously one takes high end audio which is separate from dollars. and those I know who are long term emotionally invested in the hobby take it seriously. and it affects them when there are issues. it's a passion!!!!

I totally understand. I still do take it "somewhat" seriously but nowhere near the way I used to.

Maybe I'm getting lazy or more protective of my mental health but self induced stress, needless to say, does have its impacts and none of them are good.

Question sir. I just installed one of Joe's used Furutech AC outlets. The one, I guess, that was the top of the line before the newest version that Joe installed for you.

Did with great inner anxiety because AC scares the hell out of me. Joe provided great instructions and the house, including the audio system, hasn't burned down yet so I guess I did it correctly. :D

Thank you Joe.

Can you provide your observations on break in period and what you hear during the process?

Also, assuming there is a break in period, what can I do the speed up the process?

Thanks for your help.

Best.

Sounds... difficult. You might be better off making your own plugs. I know what I'd do...

to come up with the NCP material, Furutech researched and engineered combining carbon fiber with tourmaline crystals. and then tested multiple approaches to find what worked. and then applied that formula across a number of products....spreading the cost.

good luck on hitting the lottery first try. I wonder what the odds are to get it to work first time?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing