installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
I know this is a new product but I'm interested if anyone has compared the Rhodium to the gold. In mine I found the Rhodium was bright at the top and switched to hold with better results.

+1 - In My System, Rhodium is too Bright, I'm waiting for the gold one version to try.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have 11 of the GTX-D (R) (9 now) as I found the top end too bright. I replaced the two powering my amps to the Gold version and it is quite noticeable. In fact Ron Resnick a member here has visited on several occasions. On his last visit he asked me if I had changed the tweeters on my speaker to the soft dome as in the Wilson XLF. When I told him that all I had done was change the 2 AC outlets to the Gold version. He was quite surprised because he noticed a change right away

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think you guys might have some problems with PF[C] or noise. The Rhodium can appear bright under those circumstances but otherwise I don't think it's an appropriate description.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have 11 of the GTX-D (R) (9 now) as I found the top end too bright. I replaced the two powering my amps to the Gold version and it is quite noticeable. In fact Ron Resnick a member here has visited on several occasions. On his last visit he asked me if I had changed the tweeters on my speaker to the soft dome as in the Wilson XLF. When I told him that all I had done was change the 2 AC outlets to the Gold version. He was quite surprised because he noticed a change right away

this just tells me the Gold are colored, not the other way around.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
View attachment 25675
Thanks for the kind words Mike. I know your system was already great and regardless of the improvement due to the outlets and plugs, your system is the best I have heard so far in my life. No BS. It is a privilege to hear it, unfortunately most people will will not be able to experience it.

Words can never convey what we hear but I thought others might gain insight into how I perceived your system using audiophile speak in no particular order of importance/significance when I listened to the classical piece Swan Lake:
Overall sound: Best ever.
Virtual Reality?: High suspension of disbelief, very realistic.
Spacial:Walls/room disappeared and replaced with the venue on the recording, best I have heard so far, simply amazing.
Imaging: Completely realistic from left to right, front to back with believable sense if height
Scale: Presentation had a correct sense of scale, full size, not too small not too big, just right. (the Goldilocks zone)
Tonality: Each instrument had it own unique/individual voice
Micro Dynamics: you could hear the "wind" and "touch" of each instrument
Macro Dynamics: Spectacular! Impact, slam, crunch of real instruments. Exceptional power.
Bass: Limitless bass power, speed and extension.
Noise: Undetectable noise floor. LP noise almost non-existent and totally uncorrelated with the system.

Mike, with your room acoustics changes, equipment, and software, I congratulate you on your accomplishment in advancing the art! I'm looking forward to hearing the amplifier power cable change, can't imagine your system sounding better.

Joe,

thank you for the very kind words. you know I respect your opinions and broad listening experiences and it means that much more to me.

I'm humbled by what you wrote.....and speechless.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
a few more pics......they are so pretty.

the IEC into the dart pre power supply

Furutech FI-50 IEC into the dart pre power supply.jpg

the IEC into the Golden Gate

Furutech FI-50 IEC into the Lampi Golden Gate dac.jpg

the IEC into the Wave Kinetics NVS tt power supply.

Furutech FI-50 IEC into the Wave Kinetics NVS tt power supply.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
yes; those pictured are RCA's. I have 2 sets of the Tara Labs Grandmaster Evolution interconnects .....a 2 meter set of RCA's, and a 1.5 meter set of XLR's.

the main reason for the considerable girth of those cables is an over-the-top air dielectric design.

Have you ever compared the XLR's to the single ended on the GG? I'm just curious why you are using the single ended RCA's over the XLR's

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Have you ever compared the XLR's to the single ended on the GG? I'm just curious why you are using the single ended RCA's over the XLR's

I purchased a single ended Lampizator Golden Gate for a number of reasons. and it only has a single ended RCA output.

my system uses primarily single ended interconnects. most of them are the 50 ohm 'zeel' single ended interface using the BNC connectors. that is used between my tape repro and my dart pre, and then also between my dart pre and dart mono blocks. in the past my digital also used that interface but not currently.

I'm agnostic on connectivity. I only care how it sounds. it's all context with the specific circuit and system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I used some rather heavy power cords once. They cracked the iec receptacle. Perhaps there would be market for some type of support deviçe.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
With all the Gold connectors in your system, you're obviously very familar with that coloration.

And the reason I also chose the Rhodium GTX. It was also pointed out in the past in the GTX thread that gold is not appropriate for high current applications for a variety of reasons. Your point?

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I used some rather heavy power cords once. They cracked the iec receptacle. Perhaps there would be market for some type of support deviçe.
I have used cardas wooden cable supports in the past for the issues related to too heavy power cables.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Mike, with your room acoustics changes, equipment, and software, I congratulate you on your accomplishment in advancing the art! I'm looking forward to hearing the amplifier power cable change, can't imagine your system sounding better.

Congratulations Mike. I've been following your system for years and it must really sound great. It is a testament to the system's transparency that such changes are so easily heard.

As you may know, I have three 20A dedicated circuits for my audio gear. One for each amp and the third for the front end. I have bypassed all outlets and instead run three direct AC lines from three circuits at the panel through the floor terminated in three Furutech IEC plugs. These go straight into my gear. After reading this thread, I am curious about upgrading these ten year old IEC connectors to the Furutech FI-50 NCF connectors mentioned up thread. I would appreciate any advice that you or your dealer Joe might be able to share about possible advantages of upgrading. Here is a photo of my installation. The AC line is a JPS Labs In-Wall cable shown in red, center, out of focus. It is essentially a DIY 15' power cord direct to the panel with no intermediate connections. I am wondering what benefits I might get from improving the IEC connectors:

Peter's Stereo June 2007 009.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing