Introducing My System

I just purchased
Shunyata Everest 8000 + Shunyata Omega XC power cable. :)

the Shunyata’s Everest Turned out to be most surprising & delight in my Setup,
You really should audition the Horizon ;)

A quick update to the system, guys. Rel Reference No. 31 is the newly-added member to my hi-fi flock. Expect a write-up on my impressions soon. Also, in the next few weeks I should have major NAT news in the thread as well.
Fellow No. 31 owner here! Love em.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundersnow
There should be an organization called "audiophiles anonymous" to treat OCD. :)

I hope you are having fun and enjoying the music. Best

Last edited:
So this is Black Pumas at Eventim Apollo, had the pleasure of attending that concert several days ago:

And these are Black Pumas at my place :) I have to say, the singer’s voice and the tone I heard at the concert is pretty much how I hear it at my place — so ”Colors” me happy :)

So, ladies and gents, new spaces new challenges! This is not the final setup, as the NAT Magma Evos are still very much in play, but as summer is creeping around the corner, I’ve decided to play it cool with my Soulution 710. To add the flavor of the tubes, we still have the NAT preamp, but on the DAC position we have a newcomer — Weiss Helios. BTW, I have Trafomatic’s Lara preamp coming in the near future, so expect a full report on the shootout between the Serbian hifi manufacturers!

“So why oh why is Horizon not in the setup?!”

I have one word for you — bass modes. That’s two words.

Anyway, so after moving in to my new space I’ve had the displeasure of coming across some seriously powerful room modes at around 35hz, which were literally driving me insane. The problem was MOSTLY alleviated with the powerful and amazing PSI AVAA C20 bass traps and later almost completely resolved with the new AVAA C214. For now I have two stacked in the most problematic corner while awaiting one more to arrive which will be placed at the opposite side of the room where there is still some (but not nearly as powerful) bass build up as I had in the corner I’ve already treated. Weiss Helios comes into play with its powerful DSP plugin which really does a wonderful job, and having also an integrated streamer support I have one less box to worry about in the system. Finally, I had to set the bass knobs at the back of the speakers to what is essentially the lowest -3db position, finally getting some sort of a balance in the sound. FYI, the room in terms of the cubic area is about three times the size of the previous room, but in the previous room I had a long hallway leading into the other side of the apartment which served as the most amazing bass trap ever. No such luck here.

Phew… stay tuned for more. Some pics to illustrate:

Attachments

• IMG_5343.jpeg
    IMG_5343.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5344.jpeg
    IMG_5344.jpeg
    808.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5345.jpeg
    IMG_5345.jpeg
    766.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    798 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    970.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    929.7 KB · Views: 48
So, ladies and gents, new spaces new challenges! This is not the final setup, as the NAT Magma Evos are still very much in play, but as summer is creeping around the corner, I’ve decided to play it cool with my Soulution 710. To add the flavor of the tubes, we still have the NAT preamp, but on the DAC position we have a newcomer — Weiss Helios. BTW, I have Trafomatic’s Lara preamp coming in the near future, so expect a full report on the shootout between the Serbian hifi manufacturers!

Anyway, so after moving in to my new space I’ve had the displeasure of coming across some seriously powerful room modes at around 35hz, which were literally driving me insane. The problem was MOSTLY alleviated with the powerful and amazing PSI AVAA C20 bass traps and later almost completely resolved with the new AVAA C214. For now I have two stacked in the most problematic corner while awaiting one more to arrive which will be placed at the opposite side of the room where there is still some (but not nearly as powerful) bass build up as I had in the corner I’ve already treated. Weiss Helios comes into play with its powerful DSP plugin which really does a wonderful job, and having also an integrated streamer support I have one less box to worry about in the system. Finally, I had to set the bass knobs at the back of the speakers to what is essentially the lowest -3db position, finally getting some sort of a balance in the sound. FYI, the room in terms of the cubic area is about three times the size of the previous room, but in the previous room I had a long hallway leading into the other side of the apartment which served as the most amazing bass trap ever. No such luck here.

Did you ever compare Magma with Transmitter from NAT?

Did you ever compare Magma with Transmitter from NAT?
Nope, didn’t have a chance to try Transmitter. Dejan has been raving on recently to me about the new version of his hybrid amps — forget the name, I get lost in the myriad of different names — he tells me they are superb so I’ll likely try these here as I believe he told me they “only” dissipate some 320w. Forgive me I could be getting some of these details wrong but I’ll write more about it as I get em here.

Nope, didn’t have a chance to try Transmitter. Dejan has been raving on recently to me about the new version of his hybrid amps — forget the name, I get lost in the myriad of different names — he tells me they are superb so I’ll likely try these here as I believe he told me they “only” dissipate some 320w. Forgive me I could be getting some of these details wrong but I’ll write more about it as I get em here.
Ah yes, he calls them NuFET I think. Kind of like the Aries Cerat concept and you have a single stage amp.

Hi Thundersnow,

Sorry about the room mode. (Welcome to my listening room.)

Did you find there to be a significant difference in bass absorption/bass frequency reverberation time reduction between the PSI AVAA C20 and the new AVAA C214. (I thought the new C214 was mainly an improvement in convenience with a remote control, but the same underlying fundamental mechanism?)

Hi Thundersnow,

Sorry about the room mode. (Welcome to my listening room.)

Did you find there to be a significant difference in bass absorption/bass frequency reverberation time reduction between the PSI AVAA C20 and the new AVAA C214. (I thought the new C214 was mainly an improvement in convenience with a remote control, but the same underlying fundamental mechanism?)
Surprisingly, I found that, at least in my room, AVAA C214 simply did a better job. I feel that C20 was a little bit more unstable and prone to mic feedback than the digital model, which allowed me to crank up C214 to +6db. Plus, the convenience of being able to control all traps with an app does help when doing measurements and comparing the effects. So, overall, I think that C214 is a true step up. So much so that I had a relative bargain on the C20s, and I still picked the C214s at a “normal” discounted price. This is not to say that C20 isn’t a wonderful product, by all means it is, I just think C214 is a clear step up.

With regards to room modes, it’s such a pain and an uphill battle. I really am super thankful for a product like these PSI traps. I truly have no idea how I’d tackle that much sound pressure and energy. It’s still not ideal, but it’s also fleetingly disheartening (would be the term I guess) to invest so much into gear when room geometry looms over every path you decide to take with the equipment.

I have gotten it to a better state, but knowing what the reference should be (and especially with certain songs I know oh so well), it’s an uphill battle as I said. For the life of me, I can’t get onboard with the “thinning of the sound” — which is how I hear DSP being turned on and off so I am doing my absolute best to try and get things to about 80% of where they should be without resorting to DSP.

It’s also somewhat of a revelation to me just how much critical room modes can make or break one’s listening experience — I mean sure in theory we all get it, but with and without traps reveals just how extreme the masking is of the mids in particular and to a certain extent highs as well.

Reactions: Golum
Thank you for this detailed reply!

How many AVAAs are you using in total now?

Approximately where are they arrayed in your room?

Using two now stacked in the most problematic corner. This corner is your classic 90 degree corner with all major points of the room coming together. The stack is very important here with bass being omnidirectional it’s important to not only consider the bottom corner but of course do something to the bass build up where the walls meet the ceiling. The left speaker is positioned against a couple of slanted walls (where the fireplace is) so there are no major bass build ups here.

As I was doing measurements in the room I noticed that the corner diagonal to the most problematic corner also had tremendous bass build up. Obviously we are dealing with large wavelengths and a LOT of energy in the 25-50hz range. I still had the C20s at hand so I used it on that corner at the far end of the room. And when I say far end, it’s a good 12m to the back of this space. Again given the wavelengths no big surprises there.

Sure enough, the C20 in the diagonal corner at the back did its job tremendously, the bass build up was eradicated, however, it had little to no impact for the listening position?! In fact, it made matters slightly worse. I could only surmise that due to the length of the room and the room modes in question, and the listening position being roughly at the first half of the room, the reflected sound from the back was doing certain beneficial things for the listening spot — again we have to bear in mind physics here, the energy and the wavelengths involved.

Finally, I placed the third C20 at one of the wider corners (where the slanted wall is), loosely being in the vicinity of the left speaker. This had a positive effect, especially localized in the listening area of the room — an incremental effect and not as profound as the stack in the most problematic right corner. But with all traps being turned all the way up this finally tamed the bass mode well enough that I could enjoy music again.

So the final setup in the room (and backed up by numerous measurements) will be a stack in the right corner of two C214s and one C214 at the slanted wall near the fireplace.

A good buddy of mine is plagued by the same room modes as I — the 35hz of doom as I like to call it — his listening room is much smaller but it’s ratios and room geometry here at play. I took over the two C20s to his place and what I’ve learned is that the impact of these bass traps is incredibly amplified and I guess inversely proportional to the size of the room.

When doing our experiments and stacking two C20s in just one corner, we could both hear a clear imbalance in the sound. My conclusion is there are two reasons for this — the room is much smaller and it’s relatively symmetrical (not exactly but close to cube shaped). We ended up setting the C20s behind each of the speakers (one behind each speaker) and this did an absolutely stellar job for the room. The two C20s evened out the bass response and also seriously reduced the 35hz peak. Both of us were amazed by the results. The two traps in his space had an almost profound effect.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while this product undoubtably works (no question and measuring mics prove it — don’t trust my ears for bass enough), each room geometry and size is very unique so it takes a methodical and an educated approach to deal with the bass modes in each individual listening space.

Another practical piece of advice when placing the traps is to preferably do it against solid (concrete) walls. The more solid the wall, the worse enemy it becomes to having a balanced sound in the room. This in part has to do with sound pressure, but also the velocity of sound. And with that, I bid everyone a good night. As with so many things in life the absolute foundation of any good sound starts with achieving the basic balance between the lows, mids and highs. This is the cornerstone — the further away we move from this primary principle the more subjective preferences come into play and for that you need to connect with what is the emotion of music to you and I can’t help anyone but myself there :)

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Beautiful room, enjoy!

I use a pair of PSI AVAA C20's stacked in the rear right corner of our room in a similar fashion as your AVAA C214's. Bass extension, drive and transient punch is improved dramatically. And if I occasionally wonder what they are doing I simply switch one off and I'm reminded how exceptional the PSI AVAA products are. Indispensable in my room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing