MIT phono cable to Ayre P-5xe

MichelVanA

Jan 16, 2024
Netherlands
The Ayre P-5xe has the possibility to connect the cartridge balanced. I don't have this phono stage, but i am thinking of it. I am a big fan of MIT cables, so would like to connect a MIT phono cable balanced. Currently i use the Magnum M1 phono, but this will certainly be upgraded later on. The MIT phono cables have 2 conductors and a ground wire, i am not sure if the ground is connected to a shield, but that's likely.
Are there people here that have changed a XLR connector in such a way that the signal is connected to pins 2 and 3 and the shield (ground wire) to pin 1 on the Ayre phonostage?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Ayre P-5xe has the possibility to connect the cartridge balanced. I don't have this phono stage, but i am thinking of it. I am a big fan of MIT cables, so would like to connect a MIT phono cable balanced. Currently i use the Magnum M1 phono, but this will certainly be upgraded later on. The MIT phono cables have 2 conductors and a ground wire, i am not sure if the ground is connected to a shield, but that's likely.
Are there people here that have changed a XLR connector in such a way that the signal is connected to pins 2 and 3 and the shield (ground wire) to pin 1 on the Ayre phonostage?
The Ayre P5xe has a trick. You can connect to the RCA inputs and feed the (-) signal to the differential amplifier by switching to balanced for a balanced input. I currently use the Ayre P5xe this way.

See below post from Audiogon.

"I had a VPI Aries II TT when I picked up the Ayre P-5x. I did indeed order a custom made phono cable that was configured per the Ayre link you provided. The RCA end plugged into the RCA termination block on the Aries and the other end had XLR connectors for the Ayre phono. Worked well. I still have the 1/2 meter cables.

I don't think VPI had a XLR term block at that time.

I then picked up a used Triplanar VII which had single ended RCA connectors on the built in phono cable. After a while I realized that I had never flipped the bal/se switches to the single ended position! When I did it sounded a tad worse so I left them in the balanced position.

I later converted the Triplanar phono cable to have XLR connectors thinking it might be better. Again I did not notice anything after that process.

Curious, I pinged Ayre's Charles Hansen on Audio Asylum and asked him what was going on. It was a while ago but iirc he said with the switches in the "bal" position the negative or inverted part of the RCA input used of course for unbalanced inputs was allowed to float thus the inverted signal from the cartridge made it to the inverted input of the diff amp.

Not the best way, but as long as the inverted signal in the cable is allowed to float, never grounded, it works because of his design."

MichelVanA

Jan 16, 2024
Netherlands
Thanks Dan, this information is very helpful. Actually i hoped that it would be possible to float (disconnect from ground) the inverted signal from the RCA connector as you mentioned. Then i have a choice to connect the ground/shield cable to the P-5x(e) or the preamp. So no need for RCA/XLR adapter either, and it is likely that hum from ground loops (i found that this effect is larger with MIT cable compared to my earlier Nordost Valhalla's) is also lower. You made my day :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing