Munich HighEnd 2024

Hifi Deluxe, ROOM 136 displays a loudspeaker which is one of a kind: Ilumnia.
the cone has NO spider, and NO suspension.
It has been awarded by a Diapason d'Or in the French classical music magazine, Diapason.

Worth to be checked, imho, if at least they are lucky with the setup...
(I heard them several times in Brussels)

DETAILS

[Image: 008-Ilumnia%20Magister%20mk%202%20-%20vo...edited.jpg]

[Image: 67443d_8743e5478da94419a46c439277b8eceb~mv2.gif]

[Image: exploded-view-driver.png]

99,7% linearity
[Image: Lems%20vs%20Classic.jpg]

Ilumnia LEMS* 8" midbass driver with electromagnetic suspension (no spider, no surround)
* LEMS or linear excursion motor system
One of the world’s best electrodynamic driver in terms of :

Linearity : > 99% linear at full excursion (8mm)
Resonance : no mechanical coupling of cone to basket, no surround, no spider
Distortion (no spider, no surround, minimum of moving parts and mechanical connections)

Key elements :

Not physically restrained by the mechanical suspension of spider and surround
Very low moving mass (only 15 grammes)
Low kinetic energy of moving mass
Less inertia problems

[Image: A1qS6K9l.png]

[Image: 006-Ilumnia-Magister-mk-2-lagen.jpg?etag...quality=85]

[Image: LTEyOTkuanBlZw.jpeg]

[Image: award.jpg]

Im listening to them at the moment.

You live in Brussels?

U can hear my loudspeakers at hifi shop Amplitude Leuvense steenweg Evere.

Telll me what you think.

Brg hj

@andromedaaudio , I see that Hifi Deluxe, Studio 6 displays some headphones.
edEiAGLl.png

Audio Science Review says that the Dan Clark Expanse Headphone has a "very good compliance with target" (for what it's worth).
Would you be so kind, if you have time of course,
- to quickly compare the Dan Clark with a comparable Audeze?
- what do you think about the displayed Stax, probably SR-X9000 ?
On classical music, if possible... ;-)
Thank you !

(I am aware that headphone may not be of interest for other members though...)

Thanks Marty. Can you describe the sound of the AC room? People usually rave about Aries Cerat. What did you think of the new turntable?
I returned today to see my assessment improved. It did not. If Louis Armstrong were alive today to hear the speakers reproduce the well trodden audiophile classic, St. James infirmary he would’ve died a quick death from embarrassment.. And I thought horn production was supposed to be a strength of horn loud speakers? His horn came from somewhere within the space of about 20 ft.², no matter where I listened. Instrumental tone was simply unimpressive from bottom to the near top, at which point the ribbon tweeter may have saved them a bit. Just not my cup of tea I guess. But they sure are pretty.

Reactions: gian60
Update from day two.

A few nice things caught my attention. To begin, the Kharma speakers and associated electronics and cables were very good. Musical sounding, and formidable.

1715338871304.jpeg

Has anyone ever heard bad sound at a Von Scweikert/ VAC room? This was no exception. Good sound because, above all it was musical. Piano reproduction was very good on the VR-55 SE. As some of you may know, Gary Leeds is now a Von Schweikert ambassador ( if that’s the appropriate term?) I watched Gary interact with a potential Japanese distributor and it was like watching a Masterclass of salesmanship. I told Gary he could sell the fkn Brooklyn Bridge, to which Kevin Hayes, not missing a beat, chimed in and looked at Damon and said “don’t we already own the Brooklyn bridge?”

1715339342230.jpeg

A surprise to me was that the big Cessaro horns sounded pretty good, even with my bias that horns are not my first choice for strings and piano (the wood resonance deficiency for both is a liability IMHO). But I must admit this was the best big horn I heard at the show. I think a lot of that was due to the Doehmann, Helix II turntable with a Supatrack arm, an Air Tight cartridge and the splendid Alieno tube electronics.

1715352214881.jpeg

1715352251785.jpeg
1715339851627.jpeg

I returned to the Lorenzo room ( you need a treasure hunt map to find it) and saw the room was now graced with a SAT TT and arm. This took the sound to an even higher level than I heard yesterday. Missa Criola was outstanding as was Belafonte at Carnegie and Mutter’s Carmen fantasy. This is what violin reproduction is supposed to sound like (because it sounds quite like the real thing!). Then I asked them to play Satchmo’s St. James Infirmary (which hardly sounded like the monstrosity I heard at Ares Cerat earlier today). People spontaneously applauded after each piece. When that happens, you know your’re at a different level; more like a show than an audio show. And all this in a not great room at MOC. Beautiful sound. Have I mentioned the woodwork of the cabinets?

1715343985897.jpeg

That’s about it for now. Will continue to hunt for more good sound.

Attachments

• 1715339777532.jpeg
    1715339777532.jpeg
    688.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1715339748542.jpeg
    1715339748542.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
happy you got to hear the Lorenzo! I didn't know which would be the winner, but I believed that you were going to like at least one of the five horn loudspeakers I suggested you listen to.

I am also happy you got to hear the Divin Majestics with six Sovereigns!
You don’t just listen to the Majestics. It’s more like getting a full body massage.

Reactions: Audiohertz2
Reactions: Alrainbow
Reactions: gian60 and matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing