Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . around 2000 cd many of which I have not ripped (whenever I set up to actually do it, something better to do invariably pops up!).

For some reason I find in this context the term “ripped” to be annoying. It euphemistically and falsely suggests to me that sedentary audiophiles are engaged in some physical activity.

The other thing that bothers me about the “ripping” process is that, as you write, a better process appears over time. “Ripping” hard-codes another compromise, another approximation, just as Edward Rothstein observed about CD itself in The Quest For Perfect Sound, the article he wrote in The New Republic (December 30, 1985), explaining our passion for high-end audio. He described a quote to the effect that analog seeks to approximate perfection, but digital perfects an approximation.

The ripping sets at a point in time just another compromise. That, combined with the fact that I do not like computers as a species, inclines me to prefer the physical media of CD over files on computer hard drives.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness musings and back-and-forth about digital the last few days. As the listening room gets close to being ready to accept equipment I am, after a dry seven years, reinvigorated by thinking about all of the details I can now have fun facing and addressing!

Normally we audiophiles relish the thinking and the research and the planning process one component or one project or one issue at a time. Since, as MikeL said a long time ago, this is the unusual situation of “hatching” a complicated system all at once, I am thinking about many different issues and many different components all at once. And this is totally fun! It’s just making my head spin a bit.

In the cold, sober light of morning I have decided that I am not going to get a CD transport; I am not going to get a CD player; and available funds have to be focused on buying now only what I really need to get the stereo playing music from vinyl and tape. I don’t want to make the system even more complicated from its “Big Bang.”

It has been so long that I actually forgot that I put only a deposit down on the Io (ordered in 2017). The upgrades to the VTL preamp (ordered in 2018) occasion another forgotten payment obligation as well. And I literally have no idea what the bill to recondition the Studer A820 (going on four years now) is going to be. (The technician retained but simplified the playback audio electronics, so that obviates the need for me to buy a separate tape pre-amp immediately. And Nick’s amazing tape stage is up to something around $18,000.) And I forgot I need amp stands of some kind and loudspeaker cables, etc., etc., etc. Separately, but very relatedly, the stock market’s continuing decline is causing me big problems. So I simply cannot expand into high-end digital at this time. :(

But when I do expand into high-end digital in the future, I will purchase a Lampizator Golden Gate. And Kedar and Marty can argue about what tubes I should get!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After driving some friends slightly crazy, both here on WBF and on text message and email, I have decided to order a new Lampizator Amber 4!

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
After driving some friends slightly crazy, both here on WBF and on text message and email, I have decided to order a new Lampizator Amber 4!
RON,
Rob/LampiNA is taking my 1 1/2 yr Baltic 3 on trade. Contact him if interested as it might be a step up from Amber 4 until you get a GG.
Hope this doesn't violate a WBF reg as I'm not selling it or benefiting, i.e. a done deal on my end - just maybe helping you.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Ron, considering your predilection for vinyl and your intent to utilise digital as background music over dinner I would recommend that
you consider one of the following current production Marantz CD/SACD Network Streaming players connected directly into you VTL pre amp. I dont see why you really need a separate transport and valve DAC.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, considering your predilection for vinyl and your intent to utilise digital as background music over dinner I would recommend that
you consider one of the following current production Marantz CD/SACD Network Streaming players connected directly into you VTL pre amp. I dont see why you really need a separate transport and valve DAC.

Thank you for the suggestion, Roger. I will never use digital from the big stereo as background music over dinner. We have the overhead for that.

I don’t see the big stereo ever being used for background music in any situation.

I am just so impressed with the sound of the Baltic 3. I think that is incredible sonic bang for the buck. The Amber 4 is a lot less expensive still than the Baltic 3, and I strongly suspect that the Amber 4 will give me more of the kind of sound I like than any other DAC in that relatively modest price range. (Let’s see just for fun how the Amber 4 does against the MSB Select II.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you for the suggestion, Roger. I will never use digital from the big stereo as background music over dinner. We have the overhead for that.

I don’t see the big stereo ever being used for background music in any situation.

Ron, your kitchen is right there. You don’t see yourself putting on some girl with guitar while you make eggs Benedict and read the paper on a Sunday late morning?

Reactions: Lagonda and Folsom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, your kitchen is right there. You don’t see yourself putting on some girl with guitar while you make eggs Benedict and read the paper on a Sunday late morning?

Nope. I totally hate the kitchen! I can’t go into that damn room without cutting myself, burning myself or making a mess! Or all three! (How do you drop a package of pre-made raviolis into a pot of boiling water and not splash the water all over like the raviolis are doing belly-flops, and burn yourself? I have never figured out the solution to this enduring and mysterious problem of physics and thermodynamics.)

If I am making eggs I need all of my powers of concentration focusing on that frying pan, and not being distracted by whether the tonearm is about to hit the spindle. The system is going to have something like 60 tubes. That’s like being the floor manager at a hand grenade factory!

I never see myself firing up the big system just for background music. The overhead sounds surprisingly good — especially upstairs with the PSB speakers — and is perfect for that purpose.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Nope. I totally hate the kitchen! I can’t go into that damn room without cutting myself, burning myself or making a mess! Or all three! (How do you drop a package of pre-made raviolis into a pot of boiling water and not splash the water all over like the raviolis are doing belly-flops, and burn yourself? I have never figured out the solution to this enduring and mysterious problem of physics and thermodynamics.)...................................
You are supposed to wear clothes when you cook.

I found this out trying to fry bacon shirtless - bad idea.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
For some reason I find in this context the term “ripped” to be annoying. It euphemistically and falsely suggests to me that sedentary audiophiles are engaged in some physical activity.

Topically relevant. The photo your wife took of a 33" square box being carried into a shipping store. (I'm at least that thin and have been quite in shape my entire life. Even referred to as ripped at points.)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Does that writing "very fragile" refer to the audiophile's body or his ego?

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But when I do expand into high-end digital in the future, I will purchase a Lampizator Golden Gate. And Kedar and Marty can argue about what tubes I should get!

Marty and I agree on the 242, so no argument

Reactions: Ron Resnick

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interconnects update:

At David's recommendation I have ordered a full set of Belden 1192A interconnects.

I also have ordered a partial set (everything but the 47 foot run between line stage and amplifiers) of Cardas Clear Beyond interconnects.

Speaker cable update:

I will be ordering Gary Koh’s Absolute Fidelity speaker cables.

Last edited:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Interconnects update:

At David's recommendation I have ordered a full set of Belden 1192A interconnects.

I also have ordered a partial set (everything but the 47 foot run between line stage and amplifiers) of Cardas Clear Beyond interconnects.
Well, if that's not the yin and yang of the IC world, I don't know what is. Would have loved to see the quote on a 47ft run of the Cardas would have been. :) Looking forward to hearing about that comparison.

Beau

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Interconnects update:

Ron, what is the thinking behind buying expensive interconnects before you set up your system with the less expensive wires and understand how it sounds in your room? Why the Cardas and not some other audiophile brand?

Reactions: tima and Folsom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, what is the thinking behind buying expensive interconnects before you set up your system with the less expensive wires and understand how it sounds in your room? Why the Cardas and not some other audiophile brand?

As I have mentioned previously (see https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/on-cables.35516/) there is no logical, analytically valid way to select, in advance, based on anticipated sonic result, audio cable. So how would understanding how the system sounds in my room initially help the fancy cable selection process?

So I threw what I think and hope is a slightly educated dart:

1) A composite of many owner reports and many consumer and professional reviews across many systems suggests very generally that Clear Beyond interconnect is a transparent, unadulterating, neutral to perhaps very slightly “warm” cable which does nothing to impede emotional engagement, and does not prioritize any “hi-fi” sonic attribute.

2) Of course to some extent this is dealer driven, but VTL and Cardas is an often-used, and generally well-regarded, combination.

3) Marty has done comparison work with Cardas Clear Beyond, and thinks it is a very good, neutral, inoffensive cable in the context of the components he used Clear Beyond to connect. I greatly respect Marty’s methodical comparison work, and I find it highly probative. (For many years Marty used my long-time Benz-Micro cartridge, and my future amplifier and preamplifier. I also like very much the loudspeaker he recently chose. Marty recently chose the tonearm I hope to have someday. We also like the same brand of DAC. So I believe we have similar tastes in sound reproduction.)

4) I have always suggested that I would eventually select some top-tier, expensive cable for comparison purposes. If I am going to do this, I have to start somewhere.

5) I respect greatly that Cardas is one of the few genuine fabricators of every component of its cables. Cardas, I believe, literally draws its own copper. How many cable companies do that? So I am impressed with how Cardas makes everything in a Clear Beyond cable in-house. (MasterBuilt does this, too.) I also appreciate that Cardas is transparent about the design of the cables and the winding structure, and reports the electrical characteristics of its cables.

6) I have heard Cardas cables in numerous systems over the years, and I never developed a subjective feeling that I do not care for it (like I developed over time a subjective feeling that I do not care for Nordost Valhalla or Nordost Odin). This also is true of MasterBuilt Ultra — I have enjoyed very much every single system in which I have heard MasterBuilt Ultra employed.

7) As expensive as Clear Beyond is, it is not as expensive as some other competing top-of-the-line interconnect cables from other brands.

8) I used and enjoyed Transparent interconnect cables for my entire audio life, but the attached boxes will not fit through the in-wall conduit in my listening room.

David and I will start out being able to compare Belden 1192A versus Mogami 2791 for the long interconnect run, and Belden 1192A versus Mogami 2791 versus Cardas Clear Beyond for the other two interconnect locations. This seems to me to be a fine, and fun, place to start.

Eventually I would like to compare Belden 1192A, Mogami 2791, and Cardas Clear Beyond to MasterBuilt Ultra and to Sablon Evo with Bocchino and to Iconoclast.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Why not W2549? It's got a bit less capacitance to shield per foot. Seems more appropriate over 2791, even though they're almost the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing