Taiko Audio Extreme Music Server

Christiaan Punter

TaikoAudio_31498_1600pix.jpg

“The Taiko Audio Extreme is a State-of-the-Art Music Server designed to deliver the most realistic sounding / live reproduction from stored music files and streaming music from Qobuz and Tidal.”

Introduction

Emerging from many years of relentless researching, comparing, and listening, the Extreme Music Server is the culmination of what is possible in the field of music servers. The Extreme Music Server combines many technological breakthroughs completely unseen before in the world of digital High-End Audio. Only the best components from the most respected vendors are sourced for it, many of which are custom-designed from the ground up. The culmination of this is that the Extreme Music Server offers what is regarded by many as the very best there is.

The Extreme Music Server is fitted as standard with our proprietary Extreme Network Card and Extreme USB card. By developing our own USB interface and writing purpose-fit firmware for it, we were able to make a leap in performance that is not achievable using off-the-shelf products. Furthermore, we developed our own USB Driver along with user-selectable USB profiles to precisely fit the connected DAC.

Add to this our proprietary XDMS Server/Player/Control software available at no extra cost (currently available in its Alpha release) and the option to further increase the sound quality by adding the Taiko Audio Extreme Router, Extreme Switch, Extreme DC Power Distributor, and upcoming BPS solutions, and it should be clear that we, quite literally, take Digital Audio to the limit.

TaikoAudio_31495_1600pix.jpg

Main Features
  • Dual Intel Xeon Scalable 10 core – 20 thread CPU (2nd Gen, selected for best performance)
  • Twelve 4GB custom order industrial memory modules for 48GB in total
  • Custom Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 OS
  • Roon playback software
  • Ready for XDMS – our proprietary Extreme Direct Music Server Software
  • Setup and maintenance will all be conducted remotely; no user action is needed
  • In-house designed ultra-high precision passive cooling system
  • Proprietary Extreme Network Card included
  • Proprietary Enhanced USB Card included
  • Standard storage provisions include 280GB of PCIe Intel Optane storage for the operating system and 2TB of PCIe storage for music files. Music storage can be increased in 2TB increments up to a maximum of 24TB
  • No compromise linear power supply, 400VA transformer, Lundahl chokes, 700.000uF of Mundorf and Duelund capacitors
  • CNC machined hybrid copper/aluminum/panzerholz chassis
  • 45kg / 99Ibs, 483 wide, 455cm deep, 180mm tall, including feet.

TaikoAudio_31486_1600pix.jpg

The Extreme Music Server Stays Relevant

Hardware Updates

The Extreme Music Server has been kept up to date in several ways. In 2023, we introduced our proprietary Extreme Network Card. Available as an add-on to existing owners, the card is now included when purchasing a new Extreme Music Server.

Extreme NIC IMG_0328-1-scaled_Crop_1600pix.jpg

Software Updates

In 2022, we issued an OS update that massively improved Roon sound quality. Additionally, we implemented 4 Dedicated USB Profiles to allow any DAC to interface ideally. In November 2023, we issued another software update, further enhancing Roon and XDMS Sound Quality and refining the performance of our proprietary Extreme Network Card.

USB Profiles

Our USB Profiles tie in with our proprietary USB Driver to cater more precisely to the specific needs of particular USB Interfaces on the receiving end. No matter the brand or type of DAC, our proprietary Enhanced USB interface works together precisely as intended. Please refer to the Downloads section on the Taiko Audio Website for the list of supported DACs and the associated ideal profile. Email us if your DAC is not supported, and we will investigate if we can also implement it.

More info can be found on the Taiko Audio Website

Taiko Audio Extreme Music Server Product Page
Taiko Audio Downloads Section

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Before I owned a Taiko Extreme my digital my digital music play was half-assed.

Now, I am a complete ass.

Steve Z

Nsxturbo

Aug 17, 2020
I truly can’t imagine my life without music, and I believe the Extreme with Taiko’s ongoing development of both software and hardware bring me closer to the artistic intent of music’s creator than an other singular digital device! I say this with all sincerity, I’ve had more moments of goose bumps and tear filled eyes and any point of my forty plus years of listening to high end audio playback systems. And I’m confident that Emile and the whole Taiko team will continue to exceed what I thought was possible with digital playback!

ticktock

Oct 3, 2020
When the Taiko Extreme arrived at my doorstep more than two years ago, this magnificent piece of audio machinery instantly became the most indispensable among all my components. Today, my Extreme remains the figurative sun around which the rest of my system revolves. And outfitted with software, hardware and networking upgrades past and present (and much more to come in the not-so-distant future), it shines brighter than ever!

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
“The king is dead, long live the king!”

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
The Extreme is fully alive and kicking, and about to become better then ever with XDMS NSM :)
Totally agree Emile! Patiently waiting for the NSM update to continue Alpha testing. The spirit of the quote was meant to celebrate the passing of the torch from Extreme to Olympus. Congratulations!

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Here’s hoping we see more and cheaper Extremes on the used market :)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Is Roon .26 good to install?

Christiaan Punter

We are still working on a permanent fix. Pending that, a Roon update might still cause issues. The best way to prevent issues during the update is to stop the TaikoRoon service on the Extreme and run Roon via the shortcut on the Extreme desktop. Then, connect with the tablet normally and run the update. After that, restart the Extreme to reset to standard settings and check in the Taskbar Icon and in Task Manager - Startup Tab that Roon is not set to "launch at start".

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmustang

Topeave

Feb 25, 2021
Is Taiko Extreme a server only .
Or is it a streamer/ server .
Does Taiko Extreme comes with Quobuz .
Or , it need a special board ?
I can’t find much about this on Taiko ´s web page
thanks

ticktock

Oct 3, 2020
Is Taiko Extreme a server only .
Or is it a streamer/ server .
Does Taiko Extreme comes with Quobuz .
Or , it need a special board ?
I can’t find much about this on Taiko ´s web page
thanks
The Taiko Extreme is both a server for local files and a streamer for multiple music streaming services. I believe the Extreme comes with Roon installed by default, which can be used to stream music from Qobuz. Taiko is also developing its own music playback software called XDMS that can also stream music from Qobuz.

Topeave

Feb 25, 2021
The Taiko Extreme is both a server for local files and a streamer for multiple music streaming services. I believe the Extreme comes with Roon installed by default, which can be used to stream music from Qobuz. Taiko is also developing its own music playback software called XDMS that can also stream music from Qobuz.
Many thanks,
I have LuminX1 and I am looking for a server for my local files .
Something better than my QNap NAS.
There is Lumin L2 but there is not much reviews about it.
I do not use Roon.
To get Taiko Extreme , I would have to sell the LuminX1 and buy a DAC .( Merason )

Taiko , Pachanko Labs , Lucas Labs . This is getting complicated.….

Christiaan Punter

The Taiko Audio Extreme is a State-of-the-Art Music Server designed to deliver the most realistic sounding / live reproduction from stored music files and streaming music from Qobuz and Tidal.
  • Roon playback software
  • Ready for XDMS – our proprietary Extreme Direct Music Server Software
  • Proprietary Extreme Network Card included
  • Proprietary Enhanced USB Card included
Just connect the network input and a USB DAC, and that completes the basic server+player setup.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
We are still working on a permanent fix. Pending that, a Roon update might still cause issues. The best way to prevent issues during the update is to stop the TaikoRoon service on the Extreme and run Roon via the shortcut on the Extreme desktop. Then, connect with the tablet normally and run the update. After that, restart the Extreme to reset to standard settings and check in the Taskbar Icon and in Task Manager - Startup Tab that Roon is not set to "launch at start".
Christiaan, the above post is a bit confusing
.So 80% of your customers use roon and all you have is still working on a permanent fix and no addition insight as to the latest roon update from 12/19? It would seem by now you would have some feedback on the update to share...TIA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing