The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Only for those who own a Totaldac Twelve, please: Which clock cable are you using to connect the DAC modules? How did it compare with the original clock cable provided?

I have just tried a new BNC clock cable and heard some important changes, so I am looking for the best sounding clock cable for the Totaldac Twelve. Thanks for your info!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Only for those who own a Totaldac Twelve, please: Which clock cable are you using to connect the DAC modules? How did it compare with the original clock cable provided?

I have just tried a new BNC clock cable and heard some important changes, so I am looking for the best sounding clock cable for the Totaldac Twelve. Thanks for your info!
May we know your budget?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I guess it is a price vs. quality tradeoff. No specific limit.
I realize that clock cables sound different in various DAC, so I ask specifically for those who tested in the Totaldac Twelve.

My personal favorites in diff price-levels :
Habst 5N Silver Cryo http://www.habst.de/digital-xlr-rca-bnc.html
Blackcat Cables Tron MkIII https://blackcatcable.com/collections/digital-cables/products/c-tron-spdif
Blackcat Cables Digit 75 MkII https://blackcatcable.com/collections/digital-cables/products/c-digit-75-spdif
Blackcat Cables Silverstar!75 MkII https://blackcatcable.com/collections/digital-cables/products/c-silverstar-75-mk2-spdif

Reactions: VPN and Taiko Audio

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK,
Is it possible to include your favourite AES/EBU cables?

Hello Emile,
I don't have much experience in AES/EBU digital cables.

I am currently using a Kubala Sosna Elation aes/ebu cable. Not bad indeed!

I have also ordered a Habst 5N Silver Cryo aes/ebu cable. Will update you once I have got it.

Blackcat just launched a Tron MkIII aes/ebu cable but there is no demo/user in Hong Kong yet.
Another one that I am eager to listen to is the Vertere HB aes/ebu cable.

Please share your expeience too.
Thanks!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
My experience is outdated I'm afraid. I have not used AES/EBU for ages. I used to use Yamamura, Virtual Dynamics, FIM and the likes. The last AES/EBU I used was a dutch made cable called Duende Criatura (he is known for his tube dampers and phono cartridge coils) with a DCS Elgar.

I'm currently using the stock supplied cables with the D1-12mk2.

Which reminds me I never reported back on the D1-12mk2 performance. It has basically seemed stable after around 300 hours of burn-in. It may have improved slightly after but I've made several other system changes after that period so I cannot reliably report on further improvements.

I absolutely love it though, and so have the numerous amount of clients who have visited since then!

For me it's biggest trick remains to make live recordings sound like they are, live. It can sound raw, it can sound delicate, and it has an incredible resolving power. I do greatly prefer it's unbuffered outputs but I did not really bother to spend a lot of time using the buffered outputs.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My experience is outdated I'm afraid. I have not used AES/EBU for ages. I used to use Yamamura, Virtual Dynamics, FIM and the likes. The last AES/EBU I used was a dutch made cable called Duende Criatura (he is known for his tube dampers and phono cartridge coils) with a DCS Elgar.

I'm currently using the stock supplied cables with the D1-12mk2.

Which reminds me I never reported back on the D1-12mk2 performance. It has basically seemed stable after around 300 hours of burn-in. It may have improved slightly after but I've made several other system changes after that period so I cannot reliably report on further improvements.

I absolutely love it though, and so have the numerous amount of clients who have visited since then!

For me it's biggest trick remains to make live recordings sound like they are, live. It can sound raw, it can sound delicate, and it has an incredible resolving power. I do greatly prefer it's unbuffered outputs but I did not really bother to spend a lot of time using the buffered outputs.

Hello Emile,
Vincent of Totaldac highly recommends the Bibacord AES-EBU cable :
http://bibacord.com/digital-cables/

I am quite curious about it.
Is it possible that you borrow one from Vincent and try try? :)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Reactions: CKKeung

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013

Thank you! If possible, could you compare the sound of the Habst 5N Silver Cryo with the black cat Tron, with the TD provided clock cables?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thank you! If possible, could you compare the sound of the Habst 5N Silver Cryo with the black cat Tron, with the TD provided clock cables?
Hello VPN,
My personal preference is to have the clock cables to have a neutral/accurate character and relatively uncoloured.
I once compared a Siltech bnc vs Blackcat Digit75 bnc as clock cables and I preferred the cheaper latter because the Siltech is having so much their house sound.

The Habst has exactly the virtues I mentioned.
The Tron is a little bit warmer.

The included clock cables of Twelve are just starting points. It definitely deserves better clock cables!
;)

Reactions: VPN

b360

Jan 31, 2018
I just tried Echole’s LImited Edition cables and they were completely game-changing. One of the most effective cable choices/changes ever in my system.

Great discussion, btw.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I just tried Echole’s LImited Edition cables and they were completely game-changing. One of the most effective cable choices/changes ever in my system.

Great discussion, btw.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
CMarin,

Fantastic system! Would love to read more about it! Namely:

1. Any listening notes on your Rockport Lyras. A huge fan here of their speakers...have heard Altair 2s, Merak Sheritan IIs, Arrakis. How does the Lyra compare with any of these?

2. How do use the Kondo Kagura monos vs the VAC Statements? And the Robert Koda vs the Kondo M1000

3. And course Pacific Microsonics legend vs the TotalDAC d1-12

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
There are surely others right AES-EBU, this small world remains wide but the best musical performances that I, personnaly, listened with this d1-Twelve et the MK2, were made with the recommended Bibacord/totaldac... a kind of overall philosophy.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing